Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller Programmer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i found this schematic from the website of winpic800 it is said that it can program neary all pics and some avrs. will it work and what about the code for the 18f2550 which i assume will be main piece of programming firmware.i can get it programmed if i find the code.also is a junebug clone better than a clone of this programmer??

Attachments

• GTP-USB[plus].pdf
    219.6 KB · Views: 498
GTP-USB will be sold as a kit and not software alone.
it is mentioned on the site itself

i found this schematic from the website of winpic800 it is said that it can program neary all pics and some avrs. will it work and what about the code for the 18f2550 which i assume will be main piece of programming firmware.i can get it programmed if i find the code.also is a junebug clone better than a clone of this programmer??

The Junebug is a much better program and device support if from Microchip so you do not have to depend on a 3rd party to update it for new devices. And as we said many time it is also a ICD (in circuit debugger), 3 channel logic analyizer, and a UART tool.

But it will not program AVR's unless someone takes the time to write software for that. And the as we said earlier, why bother. There is no good reason for you to do AVR's and PIC at this point. Maybe never. If you want to go with AVR buy a AVR programmer/debugger like the Dragon.

3vo Thanks!

i am going to clone of get cloned the junebug.i read from the junebug assembly instructions file that mplab writes the firmware hex file so i dont thin i need to get it programmed if i do need to get it programmed than where can i find the code and is the circuit which i am posting here from the file complete.and i have downloaded mplab from mcirochips website. does it support all pics ??:confused:

Attachments

• junebug.PNG
    junebug.PNG
    49 KB · Views: 210
Silverblade,

Just noticed your location as "the Motor City"... What's your name and where are you located? I'm in Westland... Finally, do you need any help or is there anything I can do to help you get started?

Mike

i am going to clone of get cloned the junebug.i read from the junebug assembly instructions file that mplab writes the firmware hex file so i dont thin i need to get it programmed if i do need to get it programmed than where can i find the code and is the circuit which i am posting here from the file complete.and i have downloaded mplab from mcirochips website. does it support all pics ??:confused:

QUOTE from JUNEBUG Assembly Instructions April08:

"Your kit includes a pre-programmed PIC18F2525 (PK2V021000.HEX) the firmware is automaticallyupdated by MPLAB when needed. If you have a problem with the firmware holding down SW5 (directly below the 18F2550 while you connect the USB cable should initiate the bootloader (busy LED flashing)Run either the PICkit 2 or MPLAB software to initiate a reinstall of the Junebug (PICkit 2) firmware."

So If you assemble a kit supplied by Blueroomelectronics with a pre-programmed 18F2550, what you read is correct. Otherwise you may have to get the Firmware loaded thro' a known friend. Luckily for you, Mike k8lh has offered HELP in this very context.

Last edited:
Silverblade,

Just noticed your location as "the Motor City"... What's your name and where are you located? I'm in Westland... Finally, do you need any help or is there anything I can do to help you get started?

Mike

well what do you know writing in your location really helps!!My name is Abbas Shah.and as stated above can you give me the hex file for the 18f2550 in junebug?as soon as i have hte hex file than i can start the cloning of the junebug!:p

He lives in Detroit, MI. Detroit is the "Motor City".

with all due respect THANKS for eloborating torben and krumlink. can you help me with the problem at hand?

with all due respect THANKS for eloborating torben and krumlink. can you help me with the problem at hand?

Nope--as far as I know, only Bill has the firmware code for the Junebug, seeing as it's a kit that he designed and sells on his site: https://www.blueroomelectronics.com

I could not find Junebug firmware to download on Bill's site but the Inchworm programmer firmware is available on the Inchworm product page.

Bill, by the way, is a long-time member of this site and is one of the top respected posters helping people out here. Perhaps if you ask him nicely he'll send you the firmware. However, I suspect that he charges money for it and since he makes money selling his Junebug kit I don't know how willing he'd be to just send the firmware to someone for free. I wouldn't. Maybe Bill is nicer than me though.

Will the Inchworm firmware suffice? If not, I'd suggest just buying the Junebug kit. It's an amazing deal at $49. Or as was already suggested, a Dragon if you want to work with AVRs.

I'm a professional programmer and even so, writing my own programmer code wouldn't be worth my time except as a weekend exercise. I'd just buy a real Junebug.

Torben

Nope--as far as I know, only Bill has the firmware code for the Junebug, seeing as it's a kit that he designed and sells on his site: https://www.blueroomelectronics.com

I could not find Junebug firmware to download on Bill's site but the Inchworm programmer firmware is available on the Inchworm product page.
Umm... Junebug is a PICkit 2 clone. That means it runs Microchip PICkit 2 firmware, right? Isn't the firmware you're looking for located in the Downloads section at the bottom of **broken link removed**, listed as "PICkit 2 Firmware V2.32"?

Umm... Junebug is a PICkit 2 clone. That means it runs Microchip PICkit 2 firmware, right? Isn't the firmware you're looking for located in the Downloads section at the bottom of **broken link removed**, listed as "PICkit 2 Firmware V2.32"?

My apologies, you are absolutely right. I thought the Junebug was just compatible with custom firmware, not a clone.

Futz is right, I was wrong: it looks like you can just download the code from MicroChip.

Torben

My apologies, you are absolutely right. I thought the Junebug was just compatible with custom firmware, not a clone.

Futz is right, I was wrong: it looks like you can just download the code from MicroChip.

Torben

yes, all the firmware and software you can download from MC site, but I recommend you download software and firmware version 2.50. because last time I have experience with Real PICKIT2 from MC, when I update to 2.52,sometime, there are error when I burn the chip. I just work fine with 2.50. I not sure the other members have same problem like me. May be it because of my laptop i used.
Now I used 2.50 and it work fine.
Best regard

Hi Silverblade (Abbas Shah),

Very nice to meet you.

If you have the PIC and the hex file I would be happy to program them for you. Send me a PM when you're ready or have your parents PM me if you're a child.

Mike

Bill, by the way, is a long-time member of this site and is one of the top respected posters helping people out here. Perhaps if you ask him nicely he'll send you the firmware. However, I suspect that he charges money for it and since he makes money selling his Junebug kit I don't know how willing he'd be to just send the firmware to someone for free. I wouldn't. Maybe Bill is nicer than me though.
Torben

:) Thank you Torben for the compliments. The Junebug (PICkit2) firmware can be found within MPLAB or the PICkit2 stand alone application both freely downloadable from Microchips web site.

Look for BL01*.HEX or PK2V*.HEX

MPLAB and PICkit2 software will autoupdate the firmware so you can pick either.

thanks very much mike!i can get it programmed but thanks any ways for the help will pm you if i find any problem!i am going to post the picture of the clone as soon as it is made.

i am not getting any results for the names given by bill. is the hex file given by futz not the correct one?

thanks for the link bill. one last question is that the socket for the programming ic is 16 pin(con3) rite. so will i not be able to program ics having more number of pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back