Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller Programmer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the link bill. one last question is that the socket for the programming ic is 16 pin(con3) rite. so will i not be able to program ics having more number of pins?

CON2 (ICD) is used to program PICs while they are on the target board. That saves a lot of time, and wear&tear on the PIC. It also allows you to program any size chip even surface mount!

To use it you place a 2x5 pin header on the target and connect it to CON2 using a ribbon cable.

To program other then 18 pin chips out of circuit I made a simple board with one socket for each size PIC. You could do like the programmers do and use a single combo socket setup but then you have to figure out where to put the chip. Easier this way, sockets are cheap. But I only use it when programing PICs for proven designs like the Junebug.

me again!!

what are we going to use as con3? a zif socket? because there is no specification?

CON2 (ICD) is used to program PICs while they are on the target board. That saves a lot of time, and wear&tear on the PIC. It also allows you to program any size chip even surface mount!

To use it you place a 2x5 pin header on the target and connect it to CON2 using a ribbon cable.

To program other then 18 pin chips out of circuit I made a simple board with one socket for each size PIC. You could do like the programmers do and use a single combo socket setup but then you have to figure out where to put the chip. Easier this way, sockets are cheap. But I only use it when programing PICs for proven designs like the Junebug.

Hi 3v0,

Just design your "combo sockets" so that pin 1 always goes in the pin 1 position. Here's how I did it on a home-brew programmer adapter long ago (using single-in-line machined pin sockets). Use the little 20 pin socket for 8 pin, 14 pin, 18 pin, and 20 pin PICs.

pic-programming-sockets-jpg.8323

Also, check out page 2 of this old thread where we discussed using a 40 pin ZIF socket (or three 20 pin single-in-line machined pin sockets) with two ICSP connectors and "flipping" the adapter 180° for 8-20 or 28-40 target devices.

Yet Another ICD2 Emulator

Mike

Last edited:

hey can you help me with con3?

Con 3 brings out unused 18F2550 PIC pins for using the Junebug as an USB experimenter. It also has many more functions some are detailed in the Junebug manual. Example the last 6 pins are PICkit2 compatible and can be used to program EEPROMs, the first 5 can be used with a second Junebug or PICkit2 for programming or debugging the Junebugs 18F2550.
It's also handy for bypassing the BS250 FET switch for projects that need more current than 100ma. (jumper +5V to U5V)

Nope no problems here, have not had such errors with my PK2. I do however mostly burn via pk2cmd, I wish I could get my compiler to work in WINE, then I could delete the VM for windows entirely.

-BaC
yes, all the firmware and software you can download from MC site, but I recommend you download software and firmware version 2.50. because last time I have experience with Real PICKIT2 from MC, when I update to 2.52,sometime, there are error when I burn the chip. I just work fine with 2.50. I not sure the other members have same problem like me. May be it because of my laptop i used.
Now I used 2.50 and it work fine.
Best regard

@silver blade

friend can u plz tell me which programmer circuit do u hav selected to make.....i m also going to make a programmer circuit....

HAI this is ckt which i hav founf on net....but i cant understand about firmware in this ckt....do i need additional programmer to feed firmware in it????

Attachments

• WINSTARS 89C52 PROGRAMMER.pdf
    290.2 KB · Views: 814
Feed it this firmware. Just simply print out the code (with a printer) and throw your MCU in a fire. Throw the printed version in the fire too. There you go you burned your code into your MCU.

Make sure you leave the chip in there for a hour or so.

Attachments

• firmware.c
    107 bytes · Views: 185
what the hell is this buddy????
Hai Munna007
please see your posts in sequence. your 1st post was vague, in the sense, mircocontroller programmer. As of today Microcontrollers are in bee line
so many of them.
which controller you want to work with , you did not indicate. when you got a reply from sliverblade, it is to be taken that it is centered around Microchip programmer.
It is OK you chose,89c52 series.you got a schematic even
obviously you know that it has to have some firmware. it now for you to load the firmware into the chip.(your case it is 80c52)
You may appreciate that the chip can be replaced with 89s52 and this later version can be programmed by a simple programmer any one can make. called ISP programmer for ATMEL 89S51/or S52. perhaps you may get one such programmer from **broken link removed**

By the way, you may well settle for 89s52 as it is a later version and programming is very easy with isp prog.
may be that you have to read the sticky at the opening page of micro-controller section of this site. before posting as it provides lots of info. the red mark across your name should have made you think and analyse the reasons, sir.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feed it this firmware. Just simply print out the code (with a printer) and throw your MCU in a fire. Throw the printed version in the fire too. There you go you burned your code into your MCU.

Haha.. great code. :D

LMFAO, did you really put something in the txt file???? Ohh do I have to look, that is funny as hell...

Reminds me when I used to run a BBS, and the login was ctrl-alt-del, again dos, and you would not believe the amount of times you would see the code spit out the ansi or rip script, and bam! DCD drops..lmao...

EDIT: OHH MAN you did put text in there...I wounder how many chips he tried before returning to post his reply..lol

-BaC

Last edited:
thanks for reply sir but link here u hav given is not working....plz cehck it ????

what i understand from abovr is that u mean i can use 82s52 chip instead of 89c52 n then i can program 82s52 with separeate isp programmer ckt ....ok....is there any chip like these is avaliable whivh hav firmware already loaded????

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back