Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LT SPICE transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your output transistors are emitter-followers that have voltage loss not voltage gain.
When Q2 turns off its collector is floating then nothing turns on Q3.

You need a transistor circuit that has +5V and 0V inputs and 12V outputs. An H-Bridge circuit will work like this:

Attachments

• h-bridge transistors.PNG
    h-bridge transistors.PNG
    12.3 KB · Views: 326
To take a differential reading in LTSpice simple click and drag the two points you're trying to measure. You can aso manually type in an equation that can calculate pretty much anything you want (including LisaJouse patterns) by right clicking on the plot window and adding a trace manually. The LTSpice help file has all the information about functions that you can use in the plot window.

NOW I am confuissed, NEED advice
I thought I had this figured out (**broken link removed**) but implementing to make amplifier work?
here is what I have tried and thought I was getting an mirror signals for the amp but no.
any ideas as to how to do this?
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/555-pump-amp-png.42284/
End result, feed the piezo tweeter both the 2-8khz frequencies and the 15-20khz frequencies. Maybe have one output for the 2-8khz and another pin with the 15-20khz but still need to alternate the inputs to the amp?

I think I figured it out?

Now to actually build it.
Looks ok in LT SPICE but will it really work?
using two 4 ohm resistors to help indicate voltage output

Attachments

• pulsed outputs.PNG
    pulsed outputs.PNG
    34.4 KB · Views: 200
Your switching amplifier will work if you remove Q1 and the two LEDs and replace them with an NPN transistor inverter for one input signal to the amplifier.

Mix two frequencies together then feed the mixed signal to one input of the amplifier and the transistor inverter.

Lost?

The LEDs are there to indicate that ( for testing) the 555 outputs a signal.
The Leds were / are to make an alternating signal that the amp requires( At least thats what I think as it is a push pull amp.
The amp works as the posted schematic but only get 3.6v on output (meter across piezo tweeter) and power supply for amp is 9v.
I used 50 ohm resistors for the 33 ohm ( all I had)
Have the 555 outputting a signal that pulses one of the LEDs faster than the other (need to get a 50% duty cycle) but your mentioning using the NPN as an inverter? and only one signal input?
Need more info.
ONE big reason I conjured the 555 circuit was its basically the circuit that alternates the LEDs.
I think I posted a link to schematic

DUH it dawned on me

Here is what I THINK your talking about?
Now to mix the signals so I still get the alternating inputs?

Attachments

• pulsed output2.PNG
    pulsed output2.PNG
    22.4 KB · Views: 210
The resistor values for your inverter transistor are too high.
Your generator signal is +5V and 0V but the output of an ordinary 555 (with a 5V supply) is only +3.5V and close to 0V. Then the amplifier input transistor connected to the 555 has an base current of (3.5V - 1.5V)/150 ohms= 13.3mA and the amplifier input transistor connected to your inverter transistor will have a base current of only (5V - 1.5V)/(150 ohms + 1k ohms)= 3mA which might not be enough current. The 1k collector resistor and 10k base resistor of the inverter should have their values reduced to 270 ohms at the collector and 2.7k ohms at the base and the 150 ohm series resistor to the base of the amplifier input transistor should be removed.

A 555 makes an output that is close to a square-wave when the resistor that connects from pin7 to pin2, pin6 and the capacitor is at least 10 times more than the other timing resistor.

If you mix two frequencies together then the loudness of each frequency is reduced quite a lot. Maybe you should alternate the frequencies at full loudness instead.

It works as posted BUT the voltage across the piezo is only 1.6v w/ amp powered
1.2v directly off the 555/inverter circuit.
will reduce the resistors as suggested and re test.
As for mixing the frequencies, maybe just alter the pic code to randomly output all desired frequencies.
Will get back to you. WE ARE MAKEN PROGRESS
LOOK OUT DEER here I come

What does this mean?: "the voltage across the piezo is only 1.6v w/ amp powered 1.2v directly off the 555/inverter circuit."

meter readings and hearing aids going bezerk!!

First the voltage readings- The meter leads across the piezo
the 1.6 with power applied to amp
the 1.2 the piezo with meter still across but amp not powered on = 1.2
changed the resistor values on the 555 (calculated at 7khz) and my hearing aids start getting static. Adjust the pot (connected across pins 6/7 and got one LOUD shrill.
Turned off hearing aids and at aprox 7khz the voltage across the piezo is 8v with amp powered with 9v. wal wart.
that one shreak really got my attention as well as my dog.
Now to assemble and program a 18F1320 PIC and connect this deer pulverizer amp.
Be just my luck, run into a heard of deer with hearing disabilities ---LOL
Thanks for the circuit Audioguru.
This thing is LOUD. I just have to be careful as my hearing aids start going bezerk
Any other suggestions to circuit?
I should measure current draw of the inverter transistor base as well as the amp itself. The wall wart is only rated 9vdc 200ma

You list numbers, not voltages.
A multimeter cannot measure high frequencies since it is made to measure only 50Hz or 60Hz mains hum. The capacitance across the voltage divider resistors at its input cuts high frequencies.

Hearing aids overload much sooner than normal hearing.

The base current of the inverter transistor is simply calculated.

A wall wart that has a rating of only 200mA is junk. Its output will be 18V or more with a light load and will vary all over the place when loaded.

Loudness decreases a lot with distance. The deer might be too far away to be bothered by it.

Being optisimistic at best

The transformer was part of a set of 3 different AC adapters. Its what I grabed first.
Here is my schematic that I hope works.
Not real sure about power supply as I have never worked with LDO power supply.
Hopefully this contraption works??
I wish I had a frequency meter.
Never worked with piezos either but it appears that the higher the frequency, the higher the voltage across the piezo?

Attachments

• deer chaser wamp.PNG
    deer chaser wamp.PNG
    40 KB · Views: 177
R10 in your latest schematic should be replaced by a piece of wire.

The amplifier does not increase its output voltage due to magic nor due to a piezo load. The output voltage should be an alternating square-wave that is about 11V p-p but since its polarity alternates then it is like 22V p-p. It is the same as a sine-wave that produces only 7.6W into 8 ohms.

The datasheet of a piezo tweeter shows peaks and valleys at different frequencies caused by resonances. A peak is loud and a valley is not.

Well it's pretty dang loud. I included some aditional frequencies Now I get a random 2-8KHZ and 15-20KHZ.
I can tell when it hits a 7KHZ as my hearing aids start making noise, only briefly. Must be a resonant thing.
WHY replace the 150 with a wire.
The mirror input (first input)has a 350 ohm resistor. Should these be equal? Am thinking maybe yes?
Got to add more wire to tweeter as well as a second tweeter.
THen look out deer, I is coming about 9am to scare the s_it out of all yous trouble makers. But boy do you taste good.

Well it's pretty dang loud. I included some aditional frequencies Now I get a random 2-8KHZ and 15-20KHZ.
I can tell when it hits a 7KHZ as my hearing aids start making noise, only briefly. Must be a resonant thing.
WHY replace the 150 with a wire.
The mirror input (first input)has a 350 ohm resistor. Should these be equal? Am thinking maybe yes?
Got to add more wire to tweeter as well as a second tweeter.
THen look out deer, I is coming about 9am to scare the s_it out of all yous trouble makers. But boy do you taste good.

hi Deb,
I hope you are wearing ear defenders while you are experimenting with this high intensity sound.?

I permanently damaged my ears back in the 1980's working on SMPS, I have had tinnitus in both ears ever since.

Last edited:
Am just turning OFF hearing aids and not running the device very long (my dog dosn't like it )
Will be running experiment at about 9am MST
If you listen real close you might hear this device. The amp that Audioguru posted works real well.
NEWS FLASH!!! The Idaho deer population are leaving the state due to hearing problems caused by a CRITTER RIDDER
FILM AT 11

WHY replace the 150 with a wire?
The mirror input (first input)has a 350 ohm resistor. Should these be equal?
The 270 ohm resistor turns on the right side of the amplifier and the 350 ohm resistor should also be 270 ohms to turn on the left side of the amplifier.
The 150 ohm resistor reduces the current to the input of the amplifier which is not wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back