Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Loading 2200µF with 30V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exo

I've made a circuit here and i'm trying to test it ... It's unloaded so for safety purposes i use a 1A fast fuse.
The fuse blows immediately, but i can't find anything wrong with the circuit. everything measures out fine.

Could it be that the initial loading current of the 2200µF capacitor is so high it makes the fuse blow ?

2200µF at 30V would that draw a currentspike enough to blow a 1AF fuse ?

Exo said:
I've made a circuit here and i'm trying to test it ... It's unloaded so for safety purposes i use a 1A fast fuse.
The fuse blows immediately, but i can't find anything wrong with the circuit. everything measures out fine.

Could it be that the initial loading current of the 2200µF capacitor is so high it makes the fuse blow ?

2200µF at 30V would that draw a currentspike enough to blow a 1AF fuse ?

Quite probably - you shouldn't use a fast blow fuse for something like that.

Personally I only ever use anti-surge fuses, in fact they are all we stock at work!.

If you want to keep such a fuse rating for normal operation you can do one of two things.

you can put the fuse after the capacitor, thus initial in-rush will go into cap and thus the main cct will not see the rush of current - IF there is a prob with the cap no protection.

OR (a better option) is use a pre-charge resistor. This resistor limits the charging current to the DC-link capacitor, when it reaches a preset threshold short out the resistor with either a Thyristor or another switching device.

or as Nigel said up-rate the fuse, just some ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back