Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lm78 series and others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisa112

Hi all,

New to the forum :)

I need some help with this question - '' Why choose the LM7812 over a potential divder or Zener diode?''

Just need to know the advantages of the LM7812 really, i think!?

Cheers,
Chris

Hi all,

New to the forum :)

I need some help with this question - '' Why choose the LM7812 over a potential divder or Zener diode?''

Just need to know the advantages of the LM7812 really, i think!?

Cheers,
Chris

hi,
Usually zener diodes are used as shunt regulators for low/medium current regulators.
The LM78xx series are linear 'series' regulators which have a higher degree of regulation than a zener diode.

A linear regulator is also more efficient than a shunt regulator so is more commonly used at higher currents.

For much higher power levels, it's better to use a switching regulator but it's more complicated.

The 78xx and 79xx series of series voltage regulators have excellent voltage regulation.
They also have internal thermal overload protection (they shut down if they get too hot), output short circuit foldback current limiting and output transistor safe-area compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back