Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lego mindstorm robotics

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindstorm

hi all

i want to join all those using lego mindstorm for implementting their ideas to come here and share thier ideas.

Lego robotics is a new world specially for those engineers who are weak in designing mechanical. You can implement what ever you think in your mind with in ver small time. I my self made fire fighting robot using line follower technieque with in two day with very few background knowlede on robotics....

regards

mindstorm did you buy the kits from pakistan or did you order it from somewhere else. and if you got them from karachi then can you tell me the prices.

the only thing that has kept me away from robotics is building the base, the wheels, gears, cogs and all that. it will be great if i got a lego mindstorm kit

I find that mindstorms are a disgrace to robotics. It is simply a childs toy and not somthing a adult should play with.

No one has to make gears and tires and elec mechanical parts.

Those you should usually buy instead of making them. I have made gears but took months because of accuratecy is important. Also are you knuz on talking about making you're own wheels.
Those you have to buy.

Well mindstorms is still a little kids kit, If your going to call your self a robot builder and you use lego mindstorms, I feel sorry for you.

Not trying to say anything to you personaly but just saying that is a kids toy.

Re: reply

Roboticinfo said:
Well mindstorms is still a little kids kit, If your going to call your self a robot builder and you use lego mindstorms, I feel sorry for you.

Not trying to say anything to you personaly but just saying that is a kids toy.

Rather a snobbish attitude!.

Mindstorms is generally recognised as an excellent robotics learning device - and has the huge advantage that you can concentrate on the robotics and not the crude mechanical aspects.

Robots build using Mindstorm have outperformed custom robots many times in competition, it's FAR from a kids toy, and is commonly used in education.

If you don't like it?, fair enough! - but don't critisice such an excellent system!. The majority of people don't have access to the amazing range of constructional tools you do!.

I don't mean it in that way I am just saying that it really is not as challenging as building it from scratch.

Plus the reason I think of it that way is because kids play with legos and that was maid so kids can get into the field of robotics.

I presume that a good next step from LEGO, if you are still not ready for complete DIY, would be something like FISCHER TECHNIC. You might want to try that as an aternative to mindstorms.

pwillard said:
I presume that a good next step from LEGO, if you are still not ready for complete DIY, would be something like FISCHER TECHNIC. You might want to try that as an aternative to mindstorms.

I though Fischer Technic was basically the same thing as Mindstorms?, that Mindstorms was just a specific part of Technic?.

Mindstorms for engineers!!!! what kind of engineers ?? lego engineers. :!:

Give me a break.

At least go with a basic stamp. Lego is designed for kids. What do you think will you learn without facing real problems? You cannot be an engineer if you just think in your major of study. You should learn everything that you need to if you want to succeed in the field you are in. Everything is related in this life and don’t expect anyone will do your work. for example, you should work electrical if you think you need it, if you don't know electronics learn it. The same way for Mechanical engineering.

Yo, RoboticsInfo, I can't believe we are in the same track!!!!! :lol:

nalrawahi said:
Yo, RoboticsInfo, I can't believe we are in the same track!!!!! :lol:

Actually the books gave me ingormation on how to get started and how to be more advanced. The books I got had little projects that I would do and that is how I learned and give gave me hands on.

Also you must be a newbie if you go with the basic stamp
what are you thinking?
The basic stamp is a little beginners toy
That is what I started with and am glad to be out of it.
The way to go is a PIC and a Z8 and elec.

Not to be mean but that is newbie talk you speak of.

LEGO RCX is a toy ?

Nigel Goodwin said:
Rather a snobbish attitude!.
I couldn't agree more ... I had Lego as a constructional 'toy' long before Technic came along and couldn't wait to buy Technic for my kids (and me!).

If you want to take that attitude do you also believe that sliced bread is for kids and 'adults' should slice their own? Maybe you should look at what has been done with the little Technic controller, RCX...
**broken link removed**

Just consider **broken link removed**
Is this the work of an inferior mind????

Lego is a fantastic system and I will freely admit to being a 'child' if that is what you imply.

Roboticinfo said:
Also you must be a newbie if you go with the basic stamp
what are you thinking?
I am thinking you come across as a bit of a prat - very condescending.
Last word from me - I'm out of this thread.

You bring a good theory when you talked about the bread, but still I remember playing with legos when I was a young one, but can't imagine playing with them now.

I am just giving my personal opinion and not trying to state a fact if I am coming off that way.

Roboticsinfo,

first, I didn't use Basic, but I heard alot of people prefer it for projects.

second, I used Pic controller while ago. I believe it is for newbie.
well, Pic is not hard anymore, people were afraid from Assembly programming. Now, alot of compilers are available around. Besides, there are zillion of books about Pic16. Pic is not the best in the market.

third, besides working on designing a robot for the AAAI competition, I am working on designing a robot through a PocketPC Intel PXA processor. I believe this is away so advanced. If you think I am a newbie because I signed in this website recently, you must be really a foolish!

this thread is funny.
You guys use microcontrollers, I only use transistors and construct millions of TTL gates to do everything, you guys must be childish to use anything else. In fact sometimes i etch my own circuit boards using only a rock from my yard digging at the copper, only newbies would use anything else...

:lol: :lol:

oh boy, I am going to shoot myself.

I only use transistors and construct "millions" of TTL gates to do everything
well, if you work in Maxim or Texas Instruments, I will believe you.

Etching circuit boards using rocks!!! Whaaaaa? :D :D :D :D

How is that advanced buddy they have a book on how todo that
www.pda-robotics.com
is the website

I am a friend of the author and I have his book
also you must not no what advanced is if you think that is a
amazing project.

The only reason I call you a newbie is because of that statement about the basic stamp.

Just because you are a newbie on this website doesn't mean that you are one in real life.

However you did sound like one
in the last two posts that you posted.

e said:
this thread is funny.
You guys use microcontrollers, I only use transistors and construct millions of TTL gates to do everything, you guys must be childish to use anything else. In fact sometimes i etch my own circuit boards using only a rock from my yard digging at the copper, only newbies would use anything else...

:lol: :lol:
Wow, this is a Quote of the Week :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back