Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD has no SS, how do i unselect it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphadog

Banned
My MCU needs to communicate with Flash and with LCD, but LCD has no SS.
This is the LCD
https://www.emmicroelectronic.com/webfiles/Product/LCDdriver/EM6124_DS.pdf

Is it ok to ground the LCD's SCLK pin whenever i want to communicate with the Flash?
I'm affraid that when i do that, the LCD will shut down.
Do i need to keep sending him DATA to MOSI, while SCLK is grounded, so that the LCD wont shut itself down?

I looked for this information in datasheet but havent found.

Thank you very much for any help.

I *think* that if you ground SCLK, then the SPI port will just sit there waiting for the next clock cyle and data. It doesn't enter some kind of special shutdown mode because it's not like a UART where both sides know what the data rate is supposed to be. It just behaves as if the clock signal was in the LO part of a periodic clock train.

Because you want to communicate with other devices you will need a separate special mechanism to pull the SCLK of the LCD low, and a way to disconnect it from the SCLK in the other devices so that only the LCD SCLK will be low. Like maybe a NMOS to pull the LCD SCLK low and a series resistor to isolate the LCD SCLK so when the transistor pulls low it does not pull the entire SCLK line low for other devices.

This is just my opinion, I've never used LCDs before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back