Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there a latch to replace this logic?

ACharnley

I find myself doing this quite often and have occasionally wondered if there's a latch that can perform the same behaviour of the AND gate and SR.

SR - possible SR=1 violation
D - only actions on the clock
JR - don't want the toggle behaviour

The only thing I can think of is using 4 NAND gates to do the SR gate then using a pull-up on the second input of the S input (which is normally hidden) with a weak pull-up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-16_10-48-52.png
    Screenshot_2023-10-16_10-48-52.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 71
What is the logic function/behavior you want, as I don't understand your list?
Show a truth table.

I find myself doing this quite often and have occasionally wondered if there's a latch that can perform the same behaviour of the AND gate and SR.

The only thing I can think of is using 4 NAND gates to do the SR gate then using a pull-up on the second input of the S input (which is normally hidden) with a weak pull-up.

There's not enough info to make sense of what you are asking.

It sounds like you're looking for a latch with specific behavior. To replicate the functions of an SR latch, AND gate, and D latch, you can use a combination of NAND gates. This allows you to control the state changes. To prevent unwanted toggling, you can use a weak pull-up resistor on the second input of the S input. This helps maintain stability when not actively changing the state. It's a clever solution to achieve the desired functionality without violating the SR=1 condition or causing unintentional changes. Just ensure proper design and testing to make it work reliably in your circuit.

Download now to boost your creativity

Last edited:
Some lazy sods on here not following through the simulation! ;)

Yes, 4 NAND's appear to be the only way I can think off.

For explanation, the clock acts as a reset. If the comparator voltage is high when the clock comes in it SETS the RS. If the comparator voltage is low it immediately RESET's the RS (i.e async, unlike a D latch that waits on the clock).

Last edited:
Yes, 4 NAND's appear to be the only way I can think off.

For explanation, the clock acts as a reset. If the comparator voltage is high when the clock comes in it SETS the RS. If the comparator voltage is low it immediately RESET's the RS (i.e async, unlike a D latch that waits on the clock).
Not exactly true.
The 4013 dual D flip flop has an asynchronous Reset input.

My understanding is using the SET/CLR at the same time as a single input is still classed as an invalid state (I did simulate with one in ltspice a few days ago).

The is the truth table for the TI CD4013B

1697766736077.png

The last entry shows that if S and R are both high, both Q and Qbar are high.
They can be asserted independent of the clock.

Be aware the LTspice default Dflop gives Q low and Q bar high when both the Preset and Clear inputs are simultaneously high.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back