Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zener_Diode

Hey
I bought IR transistor (VPT30A3 - vincenc company).
How does should it works?
I tried to bring closer my hand and it almost had no changes.
when I took tv remote control, it did me the same.

I want it work as a switch. when it detect IR Vce=0 when it not Vce=5V.

how should I do it?? it looks very simple but it doesn't work, and i don't know why.

thanks a head.

I would imagine you were probably using a voltmeter to test it's output. A TV remote's pulses would be too fast for a regular voltmeter to measure.

Can it measure IR energy in the heat range? I'm assuming that's why you mentioned putting it by your hand.

I don't think your hand radiates much more heat than the surroundings. Under your arm will be warmer.
An IR transistor will probably be too sensitive with a 1M collector resistor. What value did you use?

nothing complicated.....

Attachments

• 1_132.jpg
    1_132.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 849
Zener_Diode said:
nothing complicated.....

Try replacing the voltmeter with an oscilloscope, a remote control puts out short bursts of 40KHz, you're not going to see much with a meter.

If you don't have a scope?, then don't use a remote control, just use an IR LED fed through a current limiting resistor.

The output of an IR transistor is very small. Most IR transistors have an amplifier following them with a voltage gain of at least 100.

audioguru said:
The output of an IR transistor is very small. Most IR transistors have an amplifier following them with a voltage gain of at least 100.

Only to detect at long distances, that circuit is commonly used in VCR's for detecting end of tape and reel rotation, and in many newer models to replace the cam switch as well. In that type of short range use, they switch reliably from near 5V to near 0V.

You can also conect it to the microphone input on your sound card and then and use get software that displays it.

This way you can see the wave forms.If you point it at lights you will see an 50 or 60Hz sine wave.If you point it at an TV you will also see an sine wne if you mehure the freq. you will know the TVs scaning speed.(This only works on CRT screens)

You can also see the remotes waveforms and on the spekaers you hear an tuut tuut tuut sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back