Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing of BT & micro-controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am doing this prj for a prj competition....the last for the submssion is feb1st..

so pls help me...thanks in advancee..

Last edited:
hiii @blueroomelectronics....

i need to submit the doc.(working model) of this proj. by feb 1st.. and the competition is on 12th feb...keeping all these aside wil u pls help meee

How is a document a working model?
Your posts on edaboard indicate you have not worked with a microcontroller before, how do you expect to learn to program in two weeks let alone get the hardware you need?

hey very thanks to ur reply...

document means i think is the representing of working model(i.e detailed explaination of our prj)...if we know the details of our prj correctly then it doesnt take much time to implement rightt..

so if i know the answers for my queries above i can know whether it takes much time or not...but no one is replying for dat:confused:

Because we don't know your skill level. It's your school project and you should pick something you have some skill sets in. Can you even get the RS232 - Bluetooth module in Pakistan?

ya what i have asked u above is just a part of my prj and the remaining part wil be completing soon...

i have a little knowledge on mc and bt now...i have explained u in detail what actually my prob is???i got stuck here...

now explain me what actually is to be done for dat...

What microcontroller? If it were me I would start with the bluetooth - rs232 module and connect it to my PC and write a program in Visual BASIC or whatever language you can program in and simulate it before I attempted a microcontroller design.

ohhh k...thank u
pls answer these..

1. is it enough to connect a mc(PIC18F) to a bt module directly or do we need any software to be installed in mc(PIC18F) to access the data from the bluetooth module??????

2.after the connection between bt module and mc....how the other device(i.e,mobile with bt feature) wil recognise this bt module to send some data(i.e,contact no. from mobile) to dat module???

k...as u said that we need to progrm in mc(18F) for communication between bt module and mc.....so in the same way y cant we go for a bt dongle interfacing because of the following reasons:

1.they are cheap and easily available(as already said in edaboard)

2.the s/w installation of bt drivers in mc is just around 3KB

3.And finally, no need to write any code on our own in the bt dongle again(i.e,it is enough to install the s/w cd which is given by them)

1. Stop typing in txt speak, it makes your messages hard to follow.

2. I've stopped responding to the thread on edaboard so...

3. Why would I care if it's cheap, it's the wrong part for the job.

4. What software is 3KB? Oh the PC drivers... Well they have an entire OS to help and they won't help you with an embedded module.

5. What software is "given by them"? The manufacture won't give you firmware for your microcontroller. It's PC driver software for XP, MACOS, Vista...

koolhoney07.

It ain't gonna happen....

blueroomelectronics and I have been trying to get you to see this is NO 4 weeker..
You have to:
1. Pick a micro.
2. Pick a dongle. (Dumb or Intelligent).
2. Learn a programming language.
3. Implement a USB HOST controller.
4. Somehow obtain an ICD for the dongles bluetooth radio module that is inside the dongle if you pick the cheapie DUMB one. If you get an intelligent one, plan on spending about $70.00 and still learn how to control it

I don't think any of us want to rain on your parade but is this starting to add up.... :confused:

Last edited:
k...as u said that we need to progrm in mc(18F) for communication between bt module and mc.....so in the same way y cant we go for a bt dongle interfacing because of the following reasons:

1.they are cheap and easily available(as already said in edaboard)

So is the graphite pen, very cheep and very available, and it can be more useful for this project then usb BT dongle.

2.the s/w installation of bt drivers in mc is just around 3KB
the s/w installation of bt drivers is for windows or osx or linux, written for x86 processor not pic microcontroller!!! that's huge difference. Those drivers use whole operating system behind them and only provide "description" for operating system to communicate with the device, everything else is done by the operating system - not by the drivers. There is no way you can use those drivers to drive the usb bt dongle via microcontroller.

3.And finally, no need to write any code on our own in the bt dongle again(i.e,it is enough to install the s/w cd which is given by them)
this is true, but even if you get any BT to Serial adapter, you do not need to write any code in the device... and as for the "install the s/w cd" .. install where .. you can install that cd on your windoze box, and your bt dongle will work on your windoze box, it will work perfectly, but how does it relates to your microcontroller ?!

If you want to fetch data from your phone to your PC, then you do not have a problem, attach el chepo usb bt dongle to PC, install drivers, install application that comes with the phone and move data between the phone and PC ... but if you want microcontroller instead of the PC, forget about it because
- you have no idea how to do it nor you can learn that soon
- it cannot be done with PIC16F* nor PIC18F*
- it requires much more programming skills then you can acquire in near future
- it is too expensive
Even if you get BT to Serial adapter (and those are 50+ USD, esd110 I use is ~75$) it will not directly help you interface with your phone as you need on top of that communication to implement interface that your phone use to communicate with application on windows. Every brand of phones uses different communication protocol and 99% of them are undocumented. There is also a possibility to send data from phone to "usb device" via OBEX or similar protocol and in that case simple BT to Serial adapter will not do (as OBEX does not work trough serial profile and that;s only profile BT to Serial adapters have) so you will have to go to more expensive adapters (that support more profiles) ... and now we are talking 100-200$ for custom solutions ...

The only way I see you making this project is:
- you get yourself ALIX or similar board:
for e.g.: PC Engines alix1d product file
or : PC Engines alix3c3 product file
or: PC Engines alix3d3 product file
- install winxp on it using CF card
- connect your el chepo bt dongle
- write your application for windoze
- put the contraption in suitable box

all hw is 100-200$ (less then BT dongle that will support OBEX protocol)

you can go even cheaper if you go with one of the alix cards without VGA ( PC Engines alix3c2 product file for example ) but then you have to use linux as driving operating system and write your program to work on linux.

@Koolhoney

Instead of using BT dongle, you can use BT module. If you use BT modules you can directly connect Tx of BT to Rx of mic-ctrler and viceversa. The need is to write program in mic-ctrler to accept the data what the BT module is going to send.

Modules are available in:

sena.com/products/industrial_bluetooth/esd.php
sena.com/products/industrial_bluetooth/esd1000.php

in this below link go to "Resellers / VARs" option, you can get the local distributors:

sena.com/where_to_buy/

Last edited:
esd1000 too only has serial profile so OBEX will for example not work ... I think it is bit more expensive then ESD100/110 .. anyhow, ESD is very easy to use, problem is you need to implement data transfer protocol your phone uses into the uC .. and .. esd devices are 50-500$ (esd110 is 75$ for e.g.)

You do not pair microcontroller and ESD, you connect them with wires.

You can connect ESD1000 to any microcontroller, I'd suggest one with hardware serial port and 3V operation... I used it mostly with MSP430F249 and PIC24FJ64GA002 ... actually I mostly use ESD110 but it's pretty much the same thing. You can use it with 5V uC too but then you have to make a voltage dividers (you have connection schematic in datasheet on how to connect ESD* with 5V uC)...

Pairing the ESD is easy, but you pair ESD with "other device" like your phone or your computer. After pairing, the paired device will see ESD as a BT SERIAL PORT. In order to initiate pairing you "tell" ESD what to use as a pairing key (if you do not do that, default pairing key is 1234), then tell ESD to go into "pairing mode", then you discover the ESD from your device (phone or computer) and pair with ESD.

Look at the datasheet, there is list of AT commands you use to control ESD. That is how you "tell" ESD what to do (your microcontroller send these AT commands via serial port to ESD)

NOTE that when you pair you can connect to the ESD device via BT, when you do the ESD will just link your device and your uC so your device will talk with your uC via serial port (wireless trough BT) .. You will not be able to "send file" to ESD or "send contact" or something similar ... it will just allow you serial communication between computer/phone with BT and micro controller.

hey thanks for all ur replies

@arhi

if we wanna "send any file or contact" using ESD then how ?? is their any solution??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back