Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Insect Repeller

Status
Not open for further replies.

epilot

Hello,

I want to make an Ultrasonic insect Repeller whit an variant in freq(40 to 50 or 60kHz I am not sure about the freq variety at the moment).
I want to know if any other one have made a such circuit with SUCCESS to run away the
Insect or rats? Are those circuits trustable really?

Thanks

I have no faith at all that ultrasonics repel insects or vermin. Think of all the electronics in the average home, alll those switching supplies, etc etc, nearly every possible combination of frequencies is being mechanically generated daily. As someone who repaired consumer electronics I can tell you that the insides of this equipment is FILLED with cockroach and other pest crap & infestation evidence.

In fact, ask any service people and they will tell you horror stories of what you find when you remove the cover. One of the things I don't miss about the service trade.

zevon8 said:
One of the things I don't miss about the service trade.
I'll second that! Sometimes the insides of stereo receivers are unbelievably nasty. Do you think the owners are so oblivious that they don't see the cockroaches crawling around on the inside of a dial of an old-school AM-FM tuner? Or do they just not care? (insert vomiting smiley icon here)
JB

I use ultrasonics to keep the neighbor's cats out of my carport, but it's not 100% effective. Intact males will still occasionally spray, but you can throw firecrackers at them and they still come back. Have noticed over the past year that none seem interested in crapping on my property anymore, which was my biggest complaint. I set it up for a 3 second blast every 15 seconds, around 21 khz. Since it uses 555 timers, it varies depending on the temperature. The 4 piezo tweeters can be heard, usually just a click, but in cooler weather the scream.

I don't know about bugs, but with mammals, a constant sound will get ignored after a while as normal background (you should try one of those ultrasonic sniffer/bat detector devices). Best bet is something intermitent. Needs loudness, but eventhough you can't hear it, it can still damage your hearing, so keep that in mind.

Eventually I'll get around to building a new gadget when I understand how to do it better. The idea is to make a noise generator and filter out everything in the audiable range (more or less). Figure it would be as annoying to the cats, as white noise is to people. Going to keep it on the pulse/timer, which I'd like to make a random period or atleast changing somehow.

Insects are basically stupid, and seem to be immune to everything except squashing, spraying, and burning. I heard a story once about a cockroach walking around in a microwave while it was running. Not sure I believe it, but that must be one tough bug.

The theory is that some insects can hear bats so they'll be scared of it.

Hero999 said:
The theory is that some insects can hear bats so they'll be scared of it.

I think that is more for flying-type insects...

But, how much thinking and learning are insects actually able to do? I think most of their behavior is pretty much hard-wired. Mutations change the programming, the ones that survive to breed, might pass on some of their stuff.

I know there is tons of research about inteligence of insects, but the results are usually topic of debate.

I think those HF gizzmo's are a sales push.

I built two 2.2 kV grids with blue and green led's behind the grill and these work very effective to zap mossies and other small flying bugs with a crackle and a zap.

Made with 1N4007 diodes and 1 kV 47 nF caps in a quadrupler set up feed via 240 / 12 - 12 / 240 isolating transformers.

epilot said:
Hello,

I want to make an Ultrasonic insect Repeller whit an variant in freq(40 to 50 or 60kHz I am not sure about the freq variety at the moment).
I want to know if any other one have made a such circuit with SUCCESS to run away the
Insect or rats? Are those circuits trustable really?

Thanks

Try this one.
Hope it will help you!!!!!

Attachments

• pest.gif
    pest.gif
    13.8 KB · Views: 229
Don't think the ultrasonic( 40 to 80kHz) is dangerous for humankind, because it can not swings our

Oops! I made an ultrasonic generator yestreen, and I had a Bat in my room while it was working!!!!!
It swings between 40 to 60kHz.

I hope it repels the female mosquitos whose suck our blood.

Mosquitos can spread diseases and should be killed, not repelled. I don't know of an animal or insect which feeds solely on mosquitos, so killing them shouldn't be too harmful to the ecosystem.

What do you plan on using for your output device? A piezo speaker doesn't go up much past 30k. Haven't seen a transducer over 40K. If you have something affordiable, please share.

HarveyH42 said:
Mosquitos can spread diseases and should be killed, not repelled. I don't know of an animal or insect which feeds solely on mosquitos, so killing them shouldn't be too harmful to the ecosystem.

What do you plan on using for your output device? A piezo speaker doesn't go up much past 30k. Haven't seen a transducer over 40K. If you have something affordiable, please share.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2006/09/400WB160.pdf

It should detect bats pretty well. Where there are bats then there are mosquitoes. Let the bats eat all the mosquitoes then your problem is solved.

I used to have many mosquitoes and many bats around my place. Now both are gone.

audioguru said:
It should detect bats pretty well. Where there are bats then there are mosquitoes. Let the bats eat all the mosquitoes then your problem is solved.

I used to have many mosquitoes and many bats around my place. Now both are gone.
What about an electonic robot bat!:)

I am wondered about that bat in my room yet!
It was the first time which I had a bat in my room, so I am pretty sure the reason was my ultrasonic circuit.

Do you or other friends know anything about the ultrasonic influence on calling Bats?:)

Your bat wants to mate. It heard your ultrasonics and went into your room to find another bat. Usually bats are in a group.

i know there are repellants commercially avaliable to scare off dogs.

the specs are 20khz-25khz

sound pressure 90db with a 6m range

you can get them from maplins in the uk, but id love a scematic for this one also

captaincaveman said:
i know there are repellants commercially avaliable to scare off dogs.

the specs are 20khz-25khz

sound pressure 90db with a 6m range

you can get them from maplins in the uk, but id love a scematic for this one also

Here is one with 555 chip:
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back