Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Impossible Explosion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocked

Im sure youve all heard the story of the exploding Dell laptop
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/dell-laptop-explodes-in-flames-182257.php

My Question is, How can this happen?

Heres my take:

**broken link removed** From that pic it looks like an explosive of some sort. Something like an M-80.... But an M-80 Doesnt leave a hole like that, nor does (as far as my knowledge goes) any electronics. Of course, There IS the slight possiblity, that if you have a lot of electronics crammed in one place, and they all generate a lot of heat, it COULD happen.. Of course, for an explosion to happen, That lappy would have to be pretty sealed up. And if the whole lappy was sealed up like that, The whole thing would be turned to shreds.

I wonder if I could replicate it somehow with a bunch of transistors. Hmmm Looks like a good show for Mythbusters to do :)

Could it have been a staged Joke? Or a Terrorist Attempt?

When something electronic goes wrong in the charger, the lithium battery overcharges. Overcharging causes a chemical reaction that creates heat which speeds up the chemical reaction into an uncontrolled chain reaction. The lithium burns with a very hot white flame like magnesium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back