Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I'm looking for a certain project

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalrain

A while back I was just looking around for simple projects to do, and I found an interesting one that would sense the moisture level in soil (for, say, a potted plant) and would send a signal if the moisture was too low. The diagram was quite simple, and I believe it's been around for a long time. I can't seem to find it anymore, though. So if anyone knows what I'm talking about and could show a link, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

I am not guilty, I am innocent!

I didn't design it, I just fixed the original project designed by somebody else that didn't work. Now the guy who designed the original project replaced it with some of my ideas. He still uses an IC that is not guaranteed to work with his low supply voltage. Mine is guaranteed to work when the 3V battery drops to 2V and the ones I made work when the battery is 1.5V.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks. This will help a lot. I'll probably end up using it after I build one for my class.

Tsk tsk, Nigel!
Here in Canada, we do not participate in the barbaric practice of execution.

Instead, we send our offenders to work in the maple syrup mines!

HarveyH42 said:
You mean they don't make the illegal american immigrants wrestle polar bears either?

I would pay to see that :D

All the American visitors are in Canadian jails. They are criminals.
I don't think polar bears go to jail. They pass GO and collect $200.00.

The only thing I use Canada for is Sour Patch Kids and the Inchworm+

:p

The drummer was amazing as well. Surprised AudioGuru never heard them play, certainly one of the proudest bands to come out of canada. They kind of had a unique style, truely an artistic band. Something you didn't see much back in the 80's, pretty much lost in new bands these days. Should give them a listen sometime, even if 'Rock' isn't your style. The lyrics are clean, the instruments aren't competing to drown out each other, the vocals are clear and easy to understand. It all works together very well.

Biggest 'problem' I've ever had with them is their inability to play completely 'live' - they used to pre-record a lot of backing material and play along to it. I realise this is because they didn't have enough members to play it fully live, and some parts probably weren't possible either!.

It was my first concert, so would have known any better, only 17 at the time. Didn't Getty Lee play the keyboard? It was a great show though, only been to a couple of others that went as well.

What's this have to do with killing plants? :) Actually, I need to build a few of those plant monitors, but I need on that will turn on a pump and water the plants. I wouldn't noticed the LEDs, and I'd probably disconnect a beeper.

If I may...

I was wondering about the circuit and the function of the capacitors. Can someone run me through that real quick please? I can understand the rest of the circuit (I think), but the capacitors are throwing me.
Also, would those values have to be exact for the thing to work, or is there a little leeway?

Edit: I suppose I should have actually read the circuit description before asking....my mistake

Last edited:
At Electronics-Lab there was a long thread about modifying the Plants Watering Watcher project to drive a pump.
Unless the horrible moderator there deleted it.

The original defective project is good to drive a pump since its LED just turns on and off instead of dimming as in the text.
A pump driven by a transistor could replace the LED. Use a supply voltage higher than used in the project.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Biggest 'problem' I've ever had with them is their inability to play completely 'live' - they used to pre-record a lot of backing material and play along to it. I realise this is because they didn't have enough members to play it fully live, and some parts probably weren't possible either!.

True, but I was always amazed at how much of the recorded sound they do manage to reproduce live, sometimes inventing new gear to do it. They often use sequenced loops started and stopped by members from MIDI triggers, and Alex Lifeson created a guitar stand (called the Omega IIRC) which allowed him to wear one guitar and then just step up to another which was on the stand for a different part in a tune without swapping guitars.

Geddy Lee plays some of the bass parts with his feet when he's playing the keys with his hands. He used to use Taurus pedals for that; not sure what he's using these days.

Neil Peart is just insanely focussed. :)

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back