Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ied?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HarveyH42 said:
I thought canadian police rode horses, like in the movies. Must have fast horses up there, or are they passing out parking tickets... :)

I still don't see poverty as the root of all evil in America. There are plenty of jobs, if you want to work. My job doesn't require any special training or skills. They'll hire just about anybody who can pass a drug test. I hate my job, dread getting up at 1:00 AM to go to work, but have been doing it for over 14 years now. And in less than two more years, I'll be the proud owner of my house. If I can do it, anybody can.

Poverty is the governments fault to a certain degree. The poor education system is responsible for that. Root of all evil is money. It always has been and always will be. But hey, we have the #1 economy in the world so there is alot of opportunity to live the lifestyle you desire.

Population of ALL of Canada: 33,098,932 (2006 Est)
Population of Just New York: 19,254,630 (2005 Est)
Population of UK: 60,609,153 (2006 Est)

All this Crime discussion is Apples & Oranges. When Canada gets populated enough, maybe the discussions can have more meaning. It seems to me that the crime statistics & behaviors are very dynamic & non-linear with vast populations of people. If only 33M people of Canada were hypthetically spread across the globe, crime would likely be very nearly zero. Now, cram them all into a space only twice the size of New York, I bet it is a very different story. Cost of living is higher, local resources are more scarce, competition for jobs is more demanding, much more diverse population (you get the religious nuts living next to the athiests etc..)

It doesnt take any strech of the imagination to see why crime would be higher.

Optikon said:
Population of ALL of Canada: 33,098,932 (2006 Est)
Population of Just New York: 19,254,630 (2005 Est)
Population of UK: 60,609,153 (2006 Est)

All this Crime discussion is Apples & Oranges. When Canada gets populated enough, maybe the discussions can have more meaning. It seems to me that the crime statistics & behaviors are very dynamic & non-linear with vast populations of people. If only 33M people of Canada were hypthetically spread across the globe, crime would likely be very nearly zero. Now, cram them all into a space only twice the size of New York, I bet it is a very different story. Cost of living is higher, local resources are more scarce, competition for jobs is more demanding, much more diverse population (you get the religious nuts living next to the athiests etc..)

In that case, surely that would be even more so for the UK?, where we have a much higher population density than the USA - or Japan, where it's even higher.

The USA has everything:
Guns, crime, more criminals than police, poor education, drugs, poverty, crowding, religious nuts and athiests.
Did I miss out something?

audioguru said:
The USA has everything:
Guns, crime, more criminals than police, poor education, drugs, poverty, crowding, religious nuts and athiests.

People driving on the roads (always under construction) on their celphones.

But I think you got all the good stuff.. :)

What about the mental problems? Mothers killing their own children, kids planning/exicuting mass murder plots at their schools, pedophiles, necrophiles, gay marriages, cannibalism, beastiality. These are just from the headlines of the past year...

audioguru said:
The USA has everything:

#1 world environmental polluter. But that's just because so much is going on over here man! Canada is our little brother.. if Canada gets attacked, guess who's going to be helping if they can't help themselves?

Crime creates jobs for police & Judicial system.
Guns need to be produced, so more job opportunities.. :p :D

No doubt, alot of things wrong.. and all countries have issues.. but still, a decent education & enough motivation, the world can be at your fingertips in any non 3rd world country (and places like China ARE 3rd world IMO)

HarveyH42 said:
What about the mental problems? Mothers killing their own children, kids planning/exicuting mass murder plots at their schools, pedophiles, necrophiles, gay marriages, cannibalism, beastiality. These are just from the headlines of the past year...

yeah, but is it because it _happens_ more often or is it that we _catch_ it happening more often? When you have a population knocking on the 300M doorstep, there is bound to be a few necrophiles etc... it's all statistics.

Optikon said:
yeah, but is it because it _happens_ more often or is it that we _catch_ it happening more often? When you have a population knocking on the 300M doorstep, there is bound to be a few necrophiles etc... it's all statistics.

Good point.. We all see it everyday (here in the good old USA). Some (in other places) do not see it and assume it is only in the USA. I pray there is not an underground in those places where they feed. We all have our news and that is what most people seem to go by (like doping a junction).

Maybe they hide that in your news to make a better world; not here. We have a lot of people here and a mess, morons running it most of the time (I bet I will still wake up and go to work in the AM). But it is sad. The news/politics drive us all.

At least I see it and try as a family to protect. I picked up a sick son from school today after a hard day and went to another sons soccor game. Worked on projects tonight.. My kids are my life. I am happy (AND I OWN A GUN, but I can't find it; where did I leave that thing?).

Tomorrow, I will be married 25 years.

Based on Nigel's numbers. Yea, we can pollute (lots more cars, etc.) and the problems are up there as well in the same numbers. We have a lot of people. And based on "pedophiles, necrophiles, gay marriages, cannibalism, beastiality" as a comment we would go to jail if we attacked them in any way or get fired...

I hope they are not coming to you as well as you grow..

I assume this only goes on in the USA. Think about it..

I don't see the problem with gay marages, or civil partenerships as we have over here. This country isn't a worse for them been introduced you know. I don't see how they affect the hetrosexual majority.

Is poverty so bad "in the good old USA" that the very poor folks practise CANNIBALISM?

I see the news everyday. Have not see anything on the poor eatting people? But I do not hang out with them either. I would think it would make the news.

audioguru said:
The USA has everything:

Plenty of other nations have the very same. Where the differences lie is what % of each per capita. I'd vote poor education as the least of the problems listed. That issue has been vastly improved overall.

I saw a pic of The President of The USA and his dad fishing in a flooded street of New Orleans after a hurricane. People in the background were looting.
Do the Bushes know how to read and write?

audioguru said:
I saw a pic of The President of The USA and his dad fishing in a flooded street of New Orleans after a hurricane. People in the background were looting.
Do the Bushes know how to read and write?
I've seen that picture. It's pretty funny.

HiTech said:
Plenty of other nations have the very same. Where the differences lie is what % of each per capita. I'd vote poor education as the least of the problems listed. That issue has been vastly improved overall.

Yes, but from a more philosophical point of view, better education can solve/improve a great deal of the other problems. So in one sense, it may not be the worst of the issues but it very well may be the most important one to improve.

Stop and think about this "poor education" issue that's so called a problem in America. At one time Japan exceeded us as well as a few other nations. Now the comparisons were based on overall outcomes versus specifics. Anyway, there have been great strides accomplished over the years. There are record enrollments in colleges and unviersities and if American primary & secondary education was so bad, the institutions of higher learning would be starving for students. America has out-sourced much of it's manufacturing and assembly jobs. However we have morphed into a nation of IT technology, ideas, research and development.... in other words America is predominantly a think tank. Some see it as the natural progression of a modern society.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back