Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICD-U40 and the rfPIC12F675...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polkie

Hi.

Got the latest version of the ICD firmware from the CCS site and in the ICD software(PC) it say that it can handle th PIC16, PIC18 and dsPIC. This is fine, but I wish to use the rfPICs and I get the message " Can't find target......."
So this tells me that the firmware is unable to see the PIC12 series.

What I would like to know is, is there a firmware version that supports the PIC12 series, including the rfPICs, or is there another issue involved??

Built up a little type of dev board for the rfPIC and I think/hope that the connection between the ICD and my board is correct, so do anyone have the ICSP connections sorted out and have got the rfPIC programmed? If you have can you let me know how you did it.

Anyone got any ideas.
Thanks.

I've read the rfPIC12F676 datasheet section about ICSP and looked at a schematic of my boss and saw what he did "copied" it abit and asked him and he said that it should work.

The ICD-U40 says it can program the chip. I'm using the open pin left on "PORTA" to light up a led once I got the rfPIC programmed.

The rfPIC datasheet talks about an internal 4MHz osc. Will this surfice doing operation and programming or should I still put an extra XT on the ocs1/ocs2 pins?

Last edited:
Polkie said:
Built up a little type of dev board for the rfPIC and I think/hope that the connection between the ICD and my board is correct, so do anyone have the ICSP connections sorted out and have got the rfPIC programmed? If you have can you let me know how you did it.

Anyone got any ideas.
Thanks.

If you just want to program it can you show us your schematic? You'll need to dedicate three pins to the ICD, GP0 DAT, GP1 CLK, GP3 VPP must go directly to your programmer, loading these pins will cause errors.

This is the cct I came up with. It's got the /MCLR pin as well as the CLK and DATA pins as well.

Attachments

• rfPIC_DBoard1.PNG
    rfPIC_DBoard1.PNG
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,209
Done, that but still same problems.... starting to think that it has something to do with the ICD... sometime windows does pick up the usb of the icd, and then the icd sometimes pics up a PIC and my target board but doesn't program.

Also asked the guys on the CCS forum, see if any one there might help.

Thanks for the help, I will still keep trying.

Oh yes on the CCS data they say that there should be a 47k ohn resistor between /MCLR and the 5V line, for the 13V needed to program. Done that as well.

Do you have more than one chip? Sounds like the programmer is not working, bad connection/hookup to the chip or a bad chip.

Have you used the programmer and programming software before with success?

Um.... I found "THE FAULT" it was my eyes/brain..... didn't read the documentation correctly, loom between the "target board" and the ICD was incorrect.

The board is second hand and don't have the ICD cable with the RJ11 connectors, and my demo-board hasn't got the pcb RJ11 connector. So I just didn't have the /MCLR signal connected at all and the rest were going the the wrong pins.

Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it. When I get the Tx up and running will post the schematic and code if it works correctly..... along with the correct programming cable pinouts..... if anyone wants it.

Once again Thanks for the help.

*DOH*
Next time I should R.T.F.M = read the f***ing manual...... :eek:

Last edited:
Happy to hear you got your programmer working.

I'd be interested to hear about your project once you get a little further along. I always wondered about using the rfPIC devices.

Take care. Regards, Mike

mramos1 said:
They are probably pricey but sound like fun.

I must admit, I looked them a few years ago - but they seems far too complicated and expensive - much easier to use a licence free module (I'm also dubious about the legality of using a home made radio module without submitting it for approval?).

I agree Nigel.

I was however shocked to see the range on the Z-bee modules, they are not small and sure battery usage is probably out. But I might pop for a pair. But also the range was one line of site too.

William At MyBlueRoom said:
What sort of range does an rfpic have? I always thought they were for rfid tags and only a few feet.

Yea, me too until Gramo posted this..

**broken link removed**

just reading up on them, the pro version will transmit > 2,400 ft and only costs $32US, check out some range tests here:

What sort of range does an rfpic have? I always thought they were for rfid tags and only a few feet.

No, it's basically similar to any other licence free radio modules (as power is restricted by the licence free conditions), but certainly the Xbee-Pro module looks impressive, but it's not using the same frequency as the rfPIC's - and it's using a LOT more power.

My problem with the rfPIC's is mostly how much external circuitry they require, particularly the receivers.

mramos1 said:
They are probably pricey but sound like fun.
You can always try and get samples...... Thats what I did.

The datasheet says that the output power is around 9-10dB (8-10mW). You can always add a little RF Amp (like a mar-6) to get an increase in Tx power.

Microchips App notes I'm going to use to help are:
AN238 = Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) System.pdf

AN826 = Crystal Oscillator Basics and Crystal Selection for rfPIC and PICmicro® Devices.pdf
AN831 = Matching Small Loop Antennas to rfPIC™ Devices.pdf
AN846 = Basic PLL Filters for the rfPIC™ _rfHCS.pdf

TB069 = rfPIC12F675 Transmitter Module.pdf
TB070 = rfRXD0420 Receiver Module.pdf

rfPIC Development Kit 1 User's Guide.pdf

Here is a page from the datasheet showing a "typical" apllication for the rfPIC...

Attachments

• rfPIC12F675_page 52.pdf
    933 bytes · Views: 292
Last edited:
Polkie. I have ordered samples from Microchip. I was going for some DSP Pics next. Maybe I will get two of those as well.

But like Nigel said. Complex extra circuit for the TX/RX. Also for my use it would be remote. I could drop a sealed lead-acid battery on it. :)

The Xbee-pro has quite a range and you just use serial I/O with it.
So for the extra couple of dollars you save a ton of time.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back