Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MPLABX , and USB tools

granddad

Most Helpful Member
I forget how many years (1990s ? ) I have been messing about with PIC and MC IDEs of various flavours , I have always found that to make sure the programmer was plugged in before the IDE was fired up, be it PIC2, PIC3, Snap, and some micro dev boards with an onboard programmer they connected ( in general) without errors or 'no programmer' message , Now with version 6.15, seems connecting after MPLABX is running works a whole lot better . Or am i wrong ?

I've never found any such problem, it's always worked if the programmer was plugged in first or afterwards. Occasionally it might say 'no programmer' when it's actually plugged in, but simply unplugging the USB lead and re-inserting it sorts the issue, more a Windows thing than MPLAB.

It's weird, for me on winXP & MPLAB8 I could plug the PK3 in anytime and it would work.
With MPLABX on Linux I have to ensure the PK3 is plugged in before starting MPLABX!

I am thinking the sequence for connecting PICkit or other programmers depends on the tool, the X version and the OS. Reason for the post was I had noticed occasional 'no connection' messages if plugged in prior to starting the X,, but was always ok if I put the plug in after startup. ( this seems to have changed ) One PC using PK3, one Curiosity nano dev board. Both run linux.mint 21.3 .:cool: MPLABX 6.15 :nailbiting:

I'm running Linux Mint and MPLABX. Just tried loading MPLAB without Pickit4 connected and then connecting it. After connecting it MPLAB reported finding it. I compiled and it downloaded without any problem.

Mike.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back