Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I want to use a spare power supply instead of batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pberglin

Objective: I want to use an existing plug in ac power supply to power a battery operated device.

The plug in ac power supply is from an old Linksys router that I no longer use. The power supply has the following specs.
Input: 120VAC 50hz
Output: 12VDC 1,000mA

The battery operated device normally runs on 4 AA Batteries.

Do I need to know the amount of amperage the battery device draws while its at 6V(4 x 1.5v) in order to determine if a 6v voltage regulator can be used?

Any advice on making this work? Capacitor(s) needed? Heat sink needed?

Thanks

The power supply has a voltage of 12VDC when it has a load of 1A. Its voltage might be 15VDC when it has a low load current like your item.

Your item operates from four battery cells so the total voltage is only 6V.

If you use a 6V regulator to reduce the 15V to 6V then it will probably get very hot and might melt, shut-down or smoke.

The datasheet of every voltage regulator shows an input capacitor, an output capacitor and a formula showing how much cooling it needs.

I suggest use two regulators one is 9V and other is 6V,these will reduce the voltage drop at regulator device.The components and connection of circuitry you can reference the IC data sheets.

Best regard,
Gilman Li.

Do I need to know the amount of amperage the battery device draws while its at 6V(4 x 1.5v) in order to determine if a 6v voltage regulator can be used?
Yes that would help a lot.

I would get a 6VDC wall wart for $2 and be done with it.

That would be my choice / solution. Depending on the requirements of the load.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back