Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply change - can I use this new one?

machTucker

Good evening,

I have recently inherited a table lamp - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B3LPDFST/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which came with a power supply (see photo). The power supply is rated at 11V at 0.5A, 5.5W max, max 12V.

The cable was too short so I bought a new power supply from amazon (see photo) which says it's 12V, 0.5A.

Recently the lamp has stopped working and I'm wondering whether it was anything to do with the new power supply. Could it be? I thought it would be OK.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ed

Original.jpg

New.PNG

Sorry to tell you – you've destroyed the lamp. The original power supply is a constant current supply specifically for driving LEDs.

The replacement is a typical constant voltage power supply. With a constant voltage supply, the LEDs will draw as much current as the supply will deliver and burn out.

Screenshot_20231006_125400_Edge.jpg

Didn't you notice it was brighter and hotter to touch at full brightness? A current limiter can be made with low-voltage drop.

Yes it's toast now.

Last edited:

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back