Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I don't want to be a newby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go jump into a swamp and get bitten by an alligator.

Last edited:
I'll be thankful if you both stop bickering... :)

You can thank me later...

Last edited:
LOL!! I think it's silly when I see an "Excellent" rep guy came over and asks questions about how to use 555 timers.. But then gung-hos like Eric, AG, Hero, Mike (pommy),3v0,Nigel, Scead, Hans, and others shouldn't be put at the same level with most of the rest, like me, for instance.

I think the best way for reputation bars to be distributed is by having EM himself rate the users, and when the rated users reach a certain level, they can rate the others as well. we can start with giving the "authority" to the names I mentioned, for instance. That'll control the rep "traffic".

My two cents.

The reputation system still works.

I just tried giving reputation to my other account and it worked, it gained an extra square and I could see my comment in the profile section.

Attachments

• Ghost rep.png
    Ghost rep.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 283
Yea, I was thinking about the changes etc. done to the Forum recently. Very happy to see the the Rep system is back to normal now again. People like Nigel, Hero and co are once again being given credit by being allowed to show their Rep and therefore knowledge and trustworthy advice given to Newbies like me.

Helps no end when us Newbies (albeit I am and old hand at electronics) here like to cut out the crap and get straight to decent, reliable answers to questions.

I look for answers|advise from the "green boxes" people. I tend to treat the other people with respect though. I just don't like people that "guess" an answer. That helps nobody.

LOL!! I think it's silly when I see an "Excellent" rep guy came over and asks questions about how to use 555 timers.. But then gung-hos like Eric, AG, Hero, Mike (pommy),3v0,Nigel, Scead, Hans, and others shouldn't be put at the same level with most of the rest, like me, for instance.

I think the best way for reputation bars to be distributed is by having EM himself rate the users, and when the rated users reach a certain level, they can rate the others as well. we can start with giving the "authority" to the names I mentioned, for instance. That'll control the rep "traffic".

My two cents.

As Hero points out, the reputation system still works and does just fine without any intervention from ElectroMaster - I'm sure he has many other things to do beside reviewing every post made on the forum and judging it's content. Moderators are elected for this reason, along with many other factors such as relevant experience, fairness and sufficient free time to dedicate to the task.

The system is kind of like a peer-review process and is pretty much self-policing. Those with the knowlege share it and others, even newbies, do the same. When posted information is technically-sound, relevant, easily-replicated, or even novel and useful, it gets recognised and the poster's reputation gets rewarded. In contrast, when BS, poor attitude, inflammatory actions, trollish behaviour, etc gets posted, the poster's rep gets brought down a peg or two. (or many in some cases - is seven reds still the record?)

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure of this new "Thanks" system. There's another forum, which a lot of ETO members also visit, which has a "Helped" line in the member profile and I feel this would be more appropriate, since members don't usually contribute information in order to solicit a "thankyou".....they contribute information to help others and guide them out of their particular situation which is causing confusion.

BTW, please don't think I'm picking your post apart and nit-picking. I agree with most of what you have posted.

Agreed, I think that's a bad idea too.

EM is pretty busy and probably doesn't even know enough about how good or bad someone is to make that kind of decision and just relying on one person isn't good because if someone doesn't get on with them, their reputation will suffer, even though there might get on fine with everyone else.

TBH, considering the global member-base using the forum 24/7, I think we could probably benefit from a couple more Mods.

Aside from EM, we only appear to have Nigel and Bryan1 actively moderating the forum and they have to sleep some time...perhaps appointing a couple of other Mods from time-zones overlapping Nigel and Bryan's would not only cut down on some of the spam/troll/BS posts, but also bring alternative or definitive views on contentious threads/posts where a members conduct is called into question. These posts/threads could be moved to a Mod/Admin section for proper review.

A few of the prolific posters have been subjected to temporary bans in the past, perhaps in part or solely due to conflicting opinions with the Mod/Admin team. If the team were to be increased, personal differences would most-likely be diluted and the "offending" material judged with less bias.

A few names spring to mind for proposed Mods, some have been served with infractions, some have not.

TBH, considering the global member-base using the forum 24/7, I think we could probably benefit from a couple more Mods.

Aside from EM, we only appear to have Nigel and Bryan1 actively moderating the forum and they have to sleep some time...perhaps appointing a couple of other Mods from time-zones overlapping Nigel and Bryan's would not only cut down on some of the spam/troll/BS posts, but also bring alternative or definitive views on contentious threads/posts where a members conduct is called into question. These posts/threads could be moved to a Mod/Admin section for proper review.
Are you volunteering?

A few of the prolific posters have been subjected to temporary bans in the past, perhaps in part or solely due to conflicting opinions with the Mod/Admin team.
That's true.

If the team were to be increased, personal differences would most-likely be diluted and the "offending" material judged with less bias.
I agree.

A few names spring to mind for proposed Mods, some have been served with infractions, some have not.
I can't see anyone who's previously had an infraction being given a position of power.

I've moderated forums before and have never had any problems. I wouln't mind moderating some sections of this forum but I'm fully aware that it'll never happen, especially given my track record.

EDIT:
The one thing I'd be very strict on is double poster. I hate it when people post the same thing more than once, people are not stupid, I can't understand why anyone would think they'll get a better answer just by asking exactly the same question again.

Last edited:
I've moderated forums before and have never had any problems. I wouln't mind moderating some sections of this forum but I'm fully aware that it'll never happen, especially given my track record.

AFAIK, your track record is OK. No prob's from me.

AFAIK, your track record is OK. No prob's from me.
Tell that to the administrator - I've had a total of five infractions, which is probably more than anyone else here.

Tell that to the administrator - I've had a total of five infractions, which is probably more than anyone else here.

Close to 14,900 post and a few infractions spanning over 4 years? I would say that is a pretty good track record. Then too, I haven't a clue who you pissed off or how. :)

Ron

What happened to the good old days of judging for oneself based on the content of the post, do we really need a meter to stroke our egos or kick them? The problem with these systems is that people HAVE to use them for them to work, if people don't (the majority) then they mean nothing.

With Hero sprouting to want to be a moderator here would paramount to ETO being a hero based forum. Sheesh I've been that busy this week at work my email box is full of hero reports try 16 of them in 5 days. My suggestion is this member finds a Job or a Woman and get on with a real life instead of refecting his views on near every thread on this forum. I have had a senior member on ths forum PM me on his behaviour in threads and to to make him a modeator in my opinion would kill this forum.

Also this so-called 'thank you' additon is a waste of time and in my opnion is a blight on forum threads.

Just my 2.2 cents

and about 10 minutes of reality as work has taken over.

Cheers Bryan

With Hero sprouting to want to be a moderator here would paramount to ETO being a hero based forum. Sheesh I've been that busy this week at work my email box is full of hero reports try 16 of them in 5 days.
All right, should I not bother reporting it, if I see spam, duplicate threads, swearing etc. in future?

What's the point of having a report to moderator button if people get criticised for using it?

My suggestion is this member finds a Job or a Woman and get on with a real life instead of refecting his views on near every thread on this forum. I have had a senior member on ths forum PM me on his behaviour in threads and to to make him a modeator in my opinion would kill this forum.
You're entitled you your opinion, just as I am to mine, for the record in my opinion, you're a very bad moderator because you're not impartial and you discourage people from reporting bad posts.

On the forums I moderate, I don't moderate comments that offend me personally (that wouldn't be very impartial), if I feel the need to, I report them to another moderator and let them deal with it. For example, your comment offended me, not the one about you thinking I would make a bad moderator (you're entitled to say that) but the one about how I live me life which is none of your business. Now, I were moderating this forum, I would have not deleted it, I'd probably just leave it and confront you like I am now and if I was in a bad mood I would probably report it to another moderator.

I've also received a PM from a senior forum member about your behaviour.

Last edited:
Hero, don't argue with him. It's a waste of time. They'll do what they want, nothing anyone can do or say about it, as they're the ones that say what is or is not okay.

Bryan
16 reports in 5 days is a full mail box? If you were getting 100 a day you might consider yourself a busy moderator. Mind you this is a forum, and it is for the direct intent of finding out the opinions of the people on it and furthering communication. I'm not sure what you're thinking Bryan. You're here to help US, not the other way around => You have the worst attitude of any moderator I have ever seen. If it weren't for users that DID reflect their viewpoints there would be no forum in the first place.

I have the day off and nothing to do but sit here and listen to music and comment on threads. Oh it's gonna be a good day!

Last edited:
With Hero sprouting to want to be a moderator here would paramount to ETO being a hero based forum. Sheesh I've been that busy this week at work my email box is full of hero reports try 16 of them in 5 days. My suggestion is this member finds a Job or a Woman and get on with a real life instead of refecting his views on near every thread on this forum. I have had a senior member on ths forum PM me on his behaviour in threads and to to make him a modeator in my opinion would kill this forum.

Sorry, but I find this post to be a poor display of personal bias toward Hero999.

AFAIK, there's nothing in the rules stating that a member can only make a certain number of posts within a certain timeframe....if there is, can someone point it out?

Also, I have reported spam/advertising posts in the past, as soon as they are spotted, they get reported. If nobody gave a crap about the forum they wouldn't bother pressing the 'report' button and the result of that would be threads full of it and a more difficult job for the Admin/Mod team to weed it out. At least you have a quick link to offending material.....

In addition, if someone is supposedly "infecting the forum" with his views (a term which has been used in the past) or "refecting his views on near every thread on this forum", does that refer to topics outside of General Chat? If so, unless the information offered is dangerous, illegal or downright incorrect, there should be no problem. On the other hand, if there is a problem with the information offered, it is up to other members to correct it where necessary.

My 1p

No offense intended to anyone......but committed members and not Mods make a forum thrive.

Members in their thousands, Mods counted on one hand.

Sensible Moderation to keep valuable members here and helping to keep things under control is the way to go.

My 0.5p

No offense intended to anyone......but committed members and not Mods make a forum thrive.

Members in their thousands, Mods counted on one hand.

Sensible Moderation to keep valuable members here and helping to keep things under control is the way to go.

My 0.5p

hi tvtech,
I agree with your feelings about this Forum, I consider the level of ETO Moderation is good and I have no complaints.

It seems that a small minority of members are always in the limelight, generally because they continue to stir the poo, perhaps they prefer a confrontational atmosphere so that they will be noticed for that alone and not their 'loose' technical expertise.

With regard to 'hero', most times when I log on to ETO I think I have been redirected to 'hero's' personal Blog pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back