Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I don't want to be a newby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer a few questions:

Yes, that was Sara Palin in a mini skirt. The four pictures in that series was about what you would like to have.

Yes, the computer desk pictures, one is my wife's and one is mine. I am sure you can figure out which is which.

Yes, this thread has drifted way, way off topic but I don't see that as a bad thing when the forum members are having some fun and more important getting a few laughs.

To Eric and many of my new found friends across the pond. Your comment about the "bonnet" as to what we call the hood, what the hell is that word for what we call the "trunk"? Something I love about this place is the mixed culture as to phrases. From my early trips to GB I have memopries laughing at the term ballux (sp?).

Overall the thread has actually evolved into a fun thread. People seem relaxed and yet not crossing those evil lines about what is cool and what is uncool to post.

This link is good for a chuckle and part of Bear's web.

Additionally, we should be somewhat grateful the mods have let this thread exist. :)

Ron

To answer a few questions:

Yes, that was Sara Palin in a mini skirt. The four pictures in that series was about what you would like to have.

Yes, the computer desk pictures, one is my wife's and one is mine. I am sure you can figure out which is which.

Yes, this thread has drifted way, way off topic but I don't see that as a bad thing when the forum members are having some fun and more important getting a few laughs.

To Eric and many of my new found friends across the pond. Your comment about the "bonnet" as to what we call the hood, what the hell is that word for what we call the "trunk"? Something I love about this place is the mixed culture as to phrases. From my early trips to GB I have memopries laughing at the term ballux (sp?).
Overall the thread has actually evolved into a fun thread. People seem relaxed and yet not crossing those evil lines about what is cool and what is uncool to post.

This link is good for a chuckle and part of Bear's web.

Additionally, we should be somewhat grateful the mods have let this thread exist. :)

Ron

Hi Ron,
the 'trunk' is called a 'boot' and the correct spelling is 'bollocks'.

Regards.

EDIT: I worked in Bermuda for a number of years. They use a mixture of terms, mainly English and American. I am a smoker and very shortly after arriving to live there, I asked a local co-worker where I could buy fags from. You can imagine the look on his face.....

Last edited:
Sorry to go back to the original topic. . .

It turns out that thank you system is linked to the reputation system. I've noticed that when one of my posts is thanked, a note appears in my profile under the reputation section. It doesn't seem to add as many points as the receiving positive reputation does , perhaps it's because it isn't linked to the person doing the thanking's reputation?

Now it makes more sense to me, I support the thanking system more because it ties up with the existing system.

Sorry to go back to the original topic. . .

It turns out that thank you system is linked to the reputation system. I've noticed that when one of my posts is thanked, a note appears in my profile under the reputation section. It doesn't seem to add as many points as the receiving positive reputation does , perhaps it's because it isn't linked to the person doing the thanking's reputation?

Now it makes more sense to me, I support the thanking system more because it ties up with the existing system.

OK, cool with me, whatever works. I think the "Thank You" thing is a little silly. Hey, just my take. Today in a thread I was the first response to what was a very elementary question. I just happen to see it and reply before any of a hundred or more regulars here replied. The OP gave me a "Thank You". Though I think it was a nice gesture I don't see it as much. Actually I see it as a little unfair. I didn't get a thank you for answering a complex question or making a drawing and posting it as a solution, I simply got it because I happen to be first to answer a simple question. Hell, I am good at the simple questions. :)

To be honest, when I first got here I had no clue what the little green boxes were all about. I did notice the regular posters who had great advice seemed to have many of the things. I never knew this place existed till I saw a link in another forum to it. I got here and like the place. I try to visit as time allows from work and enjoy it after work as I do a few online forums I am active in. Overall, the thank you and little green boxes are well and fine I guess but they will never make or break this forum for me. My time here is limited and my knowledge base is not at par at all with the sharper members so I guess I'll just be happy to visit when I can and help as I can.

So there we be, back on topic. :)

Ron

Hi guys,

I thought i would just quote Reloadron, because his post has summed up how i feel. A really good post in IMHO.

Well here we have gone from "I don't want to be a newby" to the forum in general and the moderation of the forum. I may as well ad my two cents or one pence or whatever.

Being new here I don't know the moderators but I have read the forum rules, which like most forums of this type are pretty well spelled out and simple. I moderate in a few forums including one large computer related forum, to my way of thinking the moderators here seem to do a good job. Moderating isn't always easy in a forum of this size.

My personal view is simple. You break the rules you generally get a little warning PM, you commit a major infraction, you get a temporary ban based on the infraction. You really piss everyone off, you get a permanent ban. Generally if I feel a ban is in order I will discuss it with other moderators and admins in a section we have for things like that. Moderators as a team need to work for the best interest of the forums in general. The fact that I personally may or may not care for a member can never enter into my decision making process. Likewise for me to ever "bait" a forum member with an ultimate goal of a ban is out of the question. If or when I may have something to say to a forum member it absolutely never goes into a public thread to be read by all members.

The moderators here seem an easy going group. As a moderator here, following this thread, I would likely have closed the thread when it drifted off topic. The person(s) derailing the thread would have received a gentle PM suggesting it was unwise to derail the thread. No big deal. I also would have initially left a post suggesting the thread remain on topic.

The function or job of a moderator is to moderate plain and simple. They have to look out for the best interest of the forum in general, they need to keep threads organized and on topic. They need to make damn sure members treat each other with respect and courtesy.

Just My Take on Some of This.....
Ron

Regarding Hero999, for the first time ever on this forum we have had to place a permanent ban. It was a very big decision and one that we took very seriously. Hero has been banned for good. This was not because of just one incident, Hero has been warned many times, and also reprimanded.

We strongly believe that the forum will be more peaceful and it will hopefully get back to what it used to be. A friendly place which helps people in the field of electronics.

I will lock this thread because it is irrelevant now. Reputations are back!

Please remember, if there is a problem with a thread, report it or PM me (I always read them and action them, sometimes I don't reply though ;)).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back