Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do you get Schottky diodes without having to wait 13 weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
unfortunately, POWERDI5060 is one only at diodes.com
I see that the FLAT 5X6 , FLAT 6X5 and the DFN6 are the same foot print. Or close enough to work.
Look at the FLAT 4X6 and the POWERDI5060. Pin to pin spacing is the same. I won't do the work for you but test to see if the 5x6 will fit on you 5060. You might have to scrape off some solder mask. For a couple boards I would just use extra solder.
If you did not think ahead enough to make a foot print that will except both of these patterns then you have a problem. Next time....... You need to have a alternate part for each item. (OK not the PWM) If you don't have several alternates then you will have trouble real soon. (part shortage)
upload_2014-10-25_8-42-33.png

thanks, I checked but small, strange protrusions have been added to other footprints which ensure that our powerdi5060 footprint fits absolutely no other footprint.
Then again, why would they want our powerdi5060 footprint to be able to take other companies diodes , -it just results in lost business.
I agree ive made a big mistake here, I only used this footprint because the pcb is tiny and I had little space...the powerdi5060 was one of the few that fitted in the tight space.

I should have searched for a footprinted diode which can fit multiple company's diodes....does anybody know one?

I wanted a DPAK,, because thats standard , but DPAK is just too big for the space I have.

Hi Flyback

How many of these boards did you order? Would it not be far quicker to redesign a new board learning from this mistake?
Our delivery time here is MAX 4 Weeks after the Boardhouse has received all the Gerber and Excellon files.

Just asking.

Regards,
tvtech

these 4 prototype boards cost us £1200, with a lead time of 2 weeks.....we may have to throw them away, but I would rather not, I cant see how we can be sure of not falling into this trap again and again....how are we to know when any component is going to go nil-stocked?
None of these "legless" style footprints fit each others footprint, so when one goes nil-stock, we are dead.
As discussed, DPAK would be nice, but we don't have the room.
The datasheets of these components should tell whether or not there is a chance of nil-stocking.
I suppose we can contact findchips or octoparts, but as discussed here, we may end up with fake dudds, how can those websites be sure of every single component that they trade in?

Hi Flyback

You have to weigh this whole thing up. Maybe get some Diodes from findchips or octoparts and test them in the meantime..
I dunno. Do you think your boards are 100% correct though and will work if you get the original diodes specified???

What worries me is these were prototype boards to start with....you absolutely needed original parts to check if your board design is good to go...

Too many variables is not a good thing.

Regards,
tvtech

its simple buck led drivers, so they will be working ok, we are sure of that.

Well then, check out findchips or octoparts. That's the best advise I can give.
If the samples/diodes don't work than you know they are fake.

Good luck :)

Regards,
tvtech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back