Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HELP ME choosing my Major!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonaiko

:cry: :cry:

Hey guys, plz help me in choosing my major. I have graduated as a computer engineer this month. Now im thinking of continuing my grad studies in my field and get a Masters degree.

I AM SO CONFUSED. what do u suggest i should study? I am very good at "VLSI & digital design" AND "Computer Networks". Which one should I choose? I love both and im good at both. Plz help me which is better and why?

Try something VHDL-based.
Good VHDL coders are in increasing demand (esp with the massive advancements in FPGA's over the last couple of years)

Remember the point of a degree is to get a job.
In what though...

I would say motor-drives and control theory but I am biased and I know there is an extreamly large lack of decent (or 1/2 decent) VHDL coders who have a grasp of control theory

Verilog and VHDL are the 2 languages for designing chips- Verilog is probably a bit more common.

Personally, I would recommend the verification field. There are surprisingly few people who can take a silicon design file and systematically and thoroughly test that it does what it is supposed to do in as many circumstances as practicality allows and be able to show that all the important areas have been covered through a logically valid system. It needs to be divided into a short set of tests that can validate a design change before it gets checked into the official copy of the design and tests that take all night to run.

Big field, actually. Verification people can be more in demand than designers. For some reason the universities haven't really pushed it as a field and thus a shortage of quality people.

Oznog said:
Big field, actually. Verification people can be more in demand than designers. For some reason the universities haven't really pushed it as a field and thus a shortage of quality people.

There is a reason for that. Suicidal tendencies.
I mean it is the epitome of boredom,

But seriously look at the bigger picture, all these are tools

Russlk said:
Styx has a point: VHDL won't get you very far, you need to understand the system. Communication systems are growing fast, look into that.

I tried VHDL but i didnt like it.
What I meant by digital design and VLSI is to work with Transistors, diodes, CMOS, ADC and stuff...

So ur suggesting the computer networks?

Styx said:
Try something VHDL-based.
Good VHDL coders are in increasing demand (esp with the massive advancements in FPGA's over the last couple of years)

Remember the point of a degree is to get a job.
In what though...

I would say motor-drives and control theory but I am biased and I know there is an extreamly large lack of decent (or 1/2 decent) VHDL coders who have a grasp of control theory

Well, maybe ur right, but im more into hardware design.
I know VHDL is a simulator, but I didnt like it much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back