Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help finding where my furnace controls are going wrong---lowering the thermostat doesn't turn off the heat

DDA

Hello again

I've got what I suppose is a rare and interesting, though simple, Biomass furnace for the house. The brand is Superior, and it is safe to say that the company, and all 4 people I ever dealt with there, are out of business.

I can mostly keep it working, but there are anomalies.

Simplest problem is that, while I'm pretty sure the thermostat must be calling for heat in order for the furnace to light in the first place, lowering the thermostat, or having the house temperature hit the set level, does not turn it back to resting mode (3 minutes on, 7 minutes off.) I other words, as the poet sez, I cannot lower the temperature by lowering the thermostat.

[CAVEATS: I think of these things slowly. I could test proposition one above by letting the furnace go down to room temperature and then make sure it really HAS to have the thermostat "on" for the lighting sequence to start. Note sure what else to test. Sometimes, and I am not sure this is according to the intended automatic controls, or merely random, the furnace seems to drop into that resting mode.]

If things are as my original statement of the problem, then it seems to me it would be simple to determine where the error occurs---hence, which module of the several in the control sequence I want to check or just replace.

I.e., the power switch is turned on; it "checks" the thermostat and finds it calling for heat, and proceeds to go through the other steps.
But when the thermostat is satisfied, somehow that does not get registered by the burn circuit so as to switch to stand-by mode.

Now, then...I can state the logic, but I can't read the wiring diagram. It looks like a simple setup to me; I can conceive of learning how to read it and seeing if the sequence looks apparent once I do. However, I can also conceive of somebody knowledgeable possibly looking at this for 5 minutes (or three!) and seeing where the buck stops.

If you are willing to do that...
The entire Superior manual, which is about 6 pages of PDF, is appended, assuming I can upload it.
And, yes, I did swap out the thermostat.

TIA

Attachments

• FURNACE --- SUPERIOR CORN FURNACE.pdf
    251.8 KB · Views: 111
It looks like the thermostat relay should switch 120V power (live, black) to either to brown or to red, depending on the state of the thermostat?

If measure voltage from each of those to neutral, do they change with the thermostat state?

If that is working, then the timer module may be faulty?

Sometime today I'll see if I can follow what you are saying and check it out. Thanks.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back