Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frauds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
People post pretending to be other then who or what they are for various reasons. Two examples are guys posting as gals and adults posting as students.

Obviously this sort of fraud is hard to prove even when you see it. In fact if one were to try pointing it out you could easily get cited for being disrespectful.

Under the current rules the best course of action is to not take part in the fraud's threads. I am wondering if anyone else has a better idea.

I have also seen on the chat line, guys posing as girls, expecting to get a 'preferential' response to a question, it soon becomes obvious they are not what they claim to be.:(
I suspect that a number of members are not of the gender or age they claim to be in order to get advantageous responses to their questions.

E

members are not of the age they claim to be
That explains much. I thought there was a case of a child and father using the same account.......either you can drive or you can't. Keep it straight.

In my case I really am approaching retirement age. I just talk like a 7 year old.

One of those human characteristics that is eternal, 3v0. Essentially harmless, in this case, and easily avoided as you suggest.

But, you know, I answer'em anyway (if I can) because it's nice to think that they consider us experts :)rolleyes:) even if they are frauds...

<EDIT> (Hey Mods, what's with the "rolleyes" emoticon switch??)

In fact if one were to try pointing it out you could easily get cited for being disrespectful.

Under the current rules the best course of action is to not take part in the fraud's threads.

I agree, we can't jump to conclusions, if you treat it like any other thread, meaning if it's something interesting or worth you while then invest yourself in it, if not quietly repose.

I have also seen on the chat line, guys posing as girls, expecting to get a 'preferential' response to a question, it soon becomes obvious they are not what they claim to be.:(
I suspect that a number of members are not of the gender or age they claim to be in order to get advantageous responses to their questions.

E

ETO, was my first experience with the internet, what is a Troll, I didn't know until a Member explained it to me? I saw everyone for face value, if they said it, I believed them. I've learned since then, about the internet.

People are not "alway's" who they say they are, and I don't read a thread I'm not interested in, of course if it's interesting thats another matter.

I've also learned not to take personal attacks to heart. It's just stupid people being stupid, if they want to invent "tripe" so be it. I don't have to consume it, if by accident I do, I'll just quietly repose and mark the thread dead and move on, I've read tons of other such "Tripe" on the internet not realizing it's "Tripe"

Edit:Bob, I don't see the problem? :rolleyes:

You "guys" are all out of date! :D In the United States today, gender identification is no longer being based entirely on genetics. You are as you want to be identified, at least in schools. It is causing quite an uproar at the adolescent level. I don't happen to agree with that position, and it seems ridiculously silly to me, but it doesn't bother me much.

Such ploys used on ETO are abusive. Nevertheless, I think any effort by the ETO establishment to thwart such abuse would lead to more bad than good. The one exception might be the use of multiple accounts without a good reason.

John

Hi,

When i first saw this thread i thought it was about parts that come in sometimes that are fraudulent in that their ratings are not as good as the package stamping indicates. A good example pic i have somewhere shows a larger 5000uf 50v electrolytic capacitor with the base removed, and inside was soldered in a 2200uf 25v capacitor (or something like that). It was funny but not good if you get stuck with one because if you went by the outside stamped rating of 50v and used it at 40v, it would probably blow up. But if you used it at 20v it would probably be ok as long as you did not really NEED the full 5000uf.

So the moral of the story is if it hurts you, avoid it, but if not then maybe it's ok for now.

Yes, gender identification has gotten a little different these days. But if you treat anyone with respect then they will eventually respect you too, unless they try to take advantage of you. But here they cant really do that because you always have the option of opting out if you feel you are being too abused.
To me it does not matter who is asking, as long as they appear to have a genuine interest in the subject matter. I cant always tell the difference right away, but after a while it becomes apparent.

I really hate to point this out too but, there are mentally challenged people in the world who also wish to learn new things but may not respond exactly the way you would expect another person to respond. So you never know who you are talking to unless they tell you and you would not want to be too harsh to a person who's background you have no idea about. This could be someone's sole social outlet.

why not just ask anyone your a bit suspect of to post a relevant pic of themselves, say in there lab doing something on that days newspaper? i dunno.
seems a bit odd boy's trying to be girls!! and surely an adult is taken more seriously than a child?? i cant see the advantage

One thing is true: anyone deemed to be a female gets longer answers frequently with much more words than necessary.

I suspect that the chances to get a reply if you post under a female appearance/identity, are higher.

I have seen two cases where I was almost sure the poster was a seasoned male hobbyist, if not professional. One was at the Microchip forum. I was always thinking how much was he would be laughing when reading the replies.

Her (his?) prototypes were incredibly well built.

BTW, if anyone wants to pose as younger / older or being of a different gender, I do not care. If worst comes to worst, there is an Ignore list. Time is scarse here, so I waste it in better things.

Being 16yo myself, that is my point of view anyway.

Being 16yo myself, that is my point of view anyway.
Yeah, Right!
So you were 6 years old when you joined ETO...
Go on, pull the other one!:)
JimB

why not just ask anyone your a bit suspect of to post a relevant pic of themselves, say in there lab doing something on that days newspaper? i dunno.
seems a bit odd boy's trying to be girls!! and surely an adult is taken more seriously than a child?? i cant see the advantage

Gosh like this is 1980 when you maybe had a chance of trusting a photo!

Surely we are more patient with a child then an adult.

In the United States today, gender identification is no longer being based entirely on genetics. You are as you want to be identified, at least in schools.

You're kidding, right?

I wonder if you identify yourself as a female, do you get to go shower with girls?

I agree an adult is taken more seriously than a child.
Its when an adult is posing as child in order to solicit a more sympathetic response from fellow members that I find disturbing, likewise when a male poses as a female for the same reason.

When replying to a 'youngsters' posts I try to phrase my response in such a way it should be more understandable to him, rather than assuming he has already some experience of the topic.

Yeah, Right!
So you were 6 years old when you joined ETO...
Go on, pull the other one!:)
JimB
I knew that hiding the missing 50 was not going to pass...! :p :D

obviously some of this is directed at us although thinly disguised! i would like to reply to this thread fully but it will have to wait until later on when the other person concerned is also here. Threads like this cause trouble and personally i would rather have seen someone with enough trouser equipment to have directly confronted the person or persons they considered frauds!
that is all i am prepared to post until later, but i do have strong feelings on this because as far as i can tell Logan and myself are the ONLY parent and child members here!

Nope - my stepson is on here. He originally called himself something different but this conflicted with an existing member. He then asked for his username to be changed to "Little Picbits" or something.

We both post from the same (static) IP address but he also posts and logs in at school which can be verified :)

obviously some of this is directed at us although thinly disguised! i would like to reply to this thread fully but it will have to wait until later on when the other person concerned is also here. Threads like this cause trouble and personally i would rather have seen someone with enough trouser equipment to have directly confronted the person or persons they considered frauds!
that is all i am prepared to post until later, but i do have strong feelings on this because as far as i can tell Logan and myself are the ONLY parent and child members here!

My first thought was how you could be confused with to whom he might be suggesting, the remark was to someone in the past, in addition he say's someone using the same account. Both of you are on separate accounts.

As a well known member, I'm glad you said something to clear up the confusion. Secondly, I would not believe that any mention would be made without direct association, if referring big "G" or "LG"

Gman.

This thread was not intended to expose specific frauds but rather to discuss how members as a group should be dealing with them.

Intentional I did not make reference to specific members in this thread. Furthermore it is my intention to continued with that policy here and in chat.

As for being the only parent/child combo here, an adult does not need to have a child to pose as one.

Nope - my stepson is on here. He originally called himself something different but this conflicted with an existing member. He then asked for his username to be changed to "Little Picbits" or something.

We both post from the same (static) IP address but he also posts and logs in at school which can be verified :)

I'm sure this is not uncommon. Plus, your accounts are different.

The only time this could become questionable, is if someone "not" well known by the majority of ETO's older members. We all know you, old timer:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back