Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extending usb over ethernet using a ethernet jack for sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I have a spare ethernet jack from installing hard wired ethernet sockets. I was wondering if I could use that instead because I don't have any old/broken Ethernet cards. All my pc's are fairly modern so I never had to buy an Ethernet card.

There are some specific devices out there which will allow USB over cat5.

There are USB extender cables which I used to extend USB about 30' (2 cables).

There is a wireless USB standard out there.

There are USB serial servers. I had one from Keyspan, now not supported, and their device would not support audio/video type devices. I can't spell the term, so I won't even try. I just bought one from Silex Technology. Port number for the protocals was hard to find and it only supports one device drawing power, but you can tack on one hub and support more.

One issue might be that with long distances, the voltage drop for 5V may be excessive. I do have a USB isolator, but never tried anything.

Not sure what your asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back