Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ever been in a wreck? How many times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhillDubya

I am on my fourth now. As of 7:30 CST tonight, I am now on my fourth wreck. You might now be thinking "damn this guy needs to learn to drive." Nope, not 1 of them have been my fault.

1. Drunk guy runs a stop sign right in front of me, NAILS ME, I do a 180...car totaled.
-Approx. 6 years ago.

2. Hungover guy runs a stop sign...rear end damage, but not totaled.
-Approx. 2 years ago.

3. Air-headed girl on cell phone runs, yep... A STOP SIGN, about 10 feet in front of me. Truck totaled.
-Approx. 1 year ago to the month.

4. I am sitting at a stop light, guy runs right into the back of me. Truck drivable, hopefully not totaled, results pending on whether or not there is major frame damage.
-Tonight

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else here has been in any wrecks, and how many?

I didn't have my drivers license yet. My best buddy was driving his Dad's '59 Chev on a country road in Ontario in the winter. I'm in the front on the right side. We come to a a two-way STOP sign at an intersection. Buddy needs to turn right.

The snow clearing equipment has nicely cleared the whole intersection, but the snow is piled 5 feet high on all corners, so you can't see approaching traffic from the left or right. Buddy eases the nose of the Chev out to peek. WHAM, the car gets creamed by another country bumpkin appraching from the right and driving on the wrong side of the gravel road, like they all do. No seat belts in those days. My nose hit the solid steel dash hard. Blood gushing. '59 Chev totalled.

Last edited:
Time on the road !

Your time spent on the road will increase indecent.

I spent many years on the road with an increase of probability.

It will take some time to count after 36 years on the road.

Twenty five of it mostly driving in service vehicles and I remember one day logging 300 miles between calls.

I'll have to get back to you on the one.

kv :)

PhillDubya

You're lucky, but what would impress me is of you were an air force test pilot that survived the same number of accidents, but in a high speed aircraft! :rolleyes:

One wreck, two fender-benders.

1) Probably 1992, first winter day of the year. Going ~30-40 kph through an S-curve, I just oversteered and lost traction. Did a 180 and despite steering into the skid and not slamming on the brakes, never got traction back. By the time I hit the snowbank I was facing back the way I had come from and probably only moving around 10 kph but that was enough; I went over the edge and rolled 2 meters down and landed upside down in a frozen swamp.

2) ~2001: Driving home late at night, another fellow (claimed that he) fell asleep at the wheel, ran a stop sign, and T-boned my van. Dented in the passenger door but no major damage. It was his fault but I felt that if I hadn't been overtired I would have noticed that he wasn't slowing down and could have avoided him. I tend to think that in a lot of cases, stop-sign accidents are due BOTH to the idiot who runs the stop sign, and to the inattentive person who doesn't see them coming too fast. Unless there are big snowbanks or something. :)

3) ~2003: Again, going slowly (decelerating to a stop light), a woman pulls out of the stopped right lane to try to get a car's length ahead in the left lane. (I hate impatient urban drivers). She didn't shoulder-check, and apologized profusely for not shoulder-checking. My truck didn't get a scratch but the woman's driver's side door was seriously dented. This one I honestly don't think Spider-Man could have dodged.

So: one when I was young (inexperience), the next I probably could have avoided if I wasn't too tired to be behind the wheel, and the third--well, sh*t happens.

Torben

Last edited:
When I was 15 my girlfriend thought it would be a good idea to take her dads truck for a spin out to the rural areas. So me thinking ya gonna get some agreed. She handed me the keys and we proceeded on.

I was doing pretty good for not having a license. Anyways we were out on an old country road, my girl ask me to look at a album cover she had. I looked over at the album. Guess my arms followed my eyes as I had swerved off the road and into some sort of rut or something.

Next thing I know, we are plowing through some picket fence. Wood shrapnel was flying everywhere, and just when I remembered about the brakes we smacked into a rather large tree.

Someone out in the boonies must have saw this as not to long after, about 4 Ca Highway Patrol cars rolled up. Needless to say I was taken to jail for GTA and driving without a license.

My girlfriends dad did not press charges as the dad and I got along pretty good before that, but I had to make restitution and lost the privilage to drive until I was 18.

At 17 I joined the Navy and had to get a military driver license, and while stationed at a Navy station Subic Bay R.P. I had to make a pickup at a shipping receiving station. I got to the place just parked the Navy truck and I suddenly see a forklift heading straight for me and the truck. The forklift was carrying a jet aircraft engine and the driver could not see my truck. I just jumped out of the truck when the forklift hit it, and the engine fell right on the truck. Flattened the truck. No one was blamed and it was called an accident.

Since then never had an accident... Knock on wood.

Last edited:
Mike, that second story has to be the coolest car-wreck story I've heard in years. The first one. . .well, you get off 'cause you were 15. :) Imagine trying that now, though--these days it seems like even if the father didn't want to press charges, some lawyer would be all over him to sue.

Regards,

Torben

Last edited:
Mike, that second story has to be the coolest car-wreck story I've heard in years. The first one. . .well, you get off 'cause you were 15. :) Imagine trying that now, though--these days it seems like even if the father didn't want to press charges, some lawyer would be all over him to sue.

Regards,

Torben

A different age, a different time. Ahh the good ol days :)

I've been in small accidents, but just while parking carelessly. The only "major" one was a kamikaze attack from a motorcycle, he drove directly to me, to crash and claim damages (and get the insurance money)... driver door was the target, motorcycle front wheel bent.

As engineers, all of you will laugh with the following story, but I firmly believe it.

A friend of mine have a lady as neighbor, and she hates my friend's mother (both women used to be friends).

The neighbor used witchcraft (yes!! a damn witch in the middle of a major city!!) against my friend's mother. Somehow the spell richochet, and hit my friend. So, he started to become involved in ridiculous accidents. His car wasn't excempt

A girl steped down from a bus, directly into my friend's path. He hit her at low speed, fortunetly she wasn't seriously hurt. Days later, the car got vandalized. In the same week, a taxicab smashed into the parked car.

Sure, you'll say my friend got his driver license in a gift store. But various long-time friends and collegaes have been hit by witchcraft, that thing really works making your life crap :eek:

Last edited:
Hmmm, let's see now....
  • many motorcycle wrecks (motocross)
  • a few tractor wrecks
  • a few motor vehicle wrecks
  • a couple of road bicycle wrecks
  • plenty of mountain bike wrecks
  • a few downhill skiing wrecks (into trees and fences!)
  • a boat wreck (yes, in the water!)
  • a skateboard wreck
  • in-line skating wrecks
  • a remote controlled plane wreck
  • loads of kite wrecks
  • lots of model train wrecks (alot safer that way!)
  • infinite number of Hot Wheels car wreck
  • several nights of heavy drinking (where I became a wreck!)
Yep! I guess you could say that I've experienced plenty of wrecks. ;)

Only been in one minor car wreck. I was on my way to work in a snow storm and a lady came down a clover leaf too fast and slid across 2 lanes of traffic into me. No one got hurt and she ended up paying for the repairs to my car.

Back when I drove trucks, I was assigned an old International tractor that had a habit of shedding parts on the road. It was in rough shape. Drove it for a long time. Never hit a thing with it. I eventually get a brand new Volvo tractor. I'd had it less then 2 weeks and swung the nose of it into a metal T post backing into a tight dock at a shopping mall...... doh!:rolleyes:

Hmmm, let's see now....
  • many motorcycle wrecks (motocross)
  • a few tractor wrecks
  • a few motor vehicle wrecks
  • a couple of road bicycle wrecks
  • plenty of mountain bike wrecks
  • a few downhill skiing wrecks (into trees and fences!)
  • a boat wreck (yes, in the water!)
  • a skateboard wreck
  • in-line skating wrecks
  • a remote controlled plane wreck
  • loads of kite wrecks
  • lots of model train wrecks (alot safer that way!)
  • infinite number of Hot Wheels car wreck
  • several nights of heavy drinking (where I became a wreck!)
Yep! I guess you could say that I've experienced plenty of wrecks. ;)

He haw. A lot of time on the road .......... of life.

I liked the ones skiing (Into trees ouch)

I broke the tip of a ski cresting the top of a hill after a straight away. Some old 200s just newly waxed. Mom and Dad purchased the bindings and ski's from Sears and robuc. Brand spanking new.

My left tip went into a frozen foot print someone left behind. It was high on the turn.

So, the tip went down and left the ground and binding never let loose. I caught twenty feet of air before I hit the ground rolling and rolling and well you get it. I looked like somebody tied knots in me.

Suddenly I stop. Those are the ones that (Ouch) hurt.

The Monster Mash.

kv :D :eek:

OK, confession time: twice, both my fault-
1969 in my Dad's pickup, an old man panic stops in front of me at green light just as I look down to tweak the radio. The trucks hood pops up and the doors jam closed, glass everywhere. I climb out the window and the old guy is wandering the middle of the intersection in a daze, but unhurt.
Last year doing 85 on I5 north across Camp Pendleton I failed to notice traffic stopped at the checkpoint. I got three vehicles in front of me. Nobody hurt but Molly the Maxima was lost - with no collision insurance. I road my bike from the train for a year.
Wiser and more carefull, but the risk is always there.....

That checkpoint is a pain in the arse, but not as much as the one East on I8.

Oh, and for you wondering what we are talking about, it is border patrol checkpoints.

Last edited:
It seems the air head woman on cellphone thing is worldwide.
If you see a rear-ending in South Africa, chances are high that it's a woman, who was either reading a map, talking on her cellphone or putting on make up. Rocket scientists behind wheels...

OK, confession time: twice, both my fault-
1969 in my Dad's pickup, an old man panic stops in front of me at green light just as I look down to tweak the radio. The trucks hood pops up and the doors jam closed, glass everywhere. I climb out the window and the old guy is wandering the middle of the intersection in a daze, but unhurt.
Last year doing 85 on I5 north across Camp Pendleton I failed to notice traffic stopped at the checkpoint. I got three vehicles in front of me. Nobody hurt but Molly the Maxima was lost - with no collision insurance. I road my bike from the train for a year.
Wiser and more carefull, but the risk is always there.....

That wasn't around March last year was it ? We got stuck for ages on the I5 in March last year due to someone causing a multiple crunch :D

Ironically my wife proposed to me in CA last year and we bought our wedding rings in Carlsbad :eek:

It seems the air head woman on cellphone thing is worldwide.
If you see a rear-ending in South Africa, chances are high that it's a woman, who was either reading a map, talking on her cellphone or putting on make up. Rocket scientists behind wheels...

Not saying all women are bad drivers.... but I have seen some good ones.....

I remember passing a woman on the interstate that was using her steering wheel to support the paperback book she was reading while she drove....

I was out on the highway a few months ago, right after a pretty good snowfall. The highway was in very poor shape and hadn't been plowed very well. I was driving a truck and wasn't gonna push it any past about 40 in a 65mph zone. It was pretty white knuckle dring at that even. I happen to look down at a car passing me in the left lane, and its a woman steering with one had and holding a plate of food with the other.

All I can say is wow.......:eek:

Youngest just went off the road .......... More money More money

Just had to call a tow truck. My daughter just slid off the road.

She's ok though.

kv

Andy1845c said:
I remember passing a woman on the interstate that was using her steering wheel to support the paperback book she was reading while she drove....

:eek:

I have seen the same thing, I couldn't believe it myself.:rolleyes:

Ever Been in a wreck? How many times?

I dated this blond for a couple of years, she was a wreck.

How many times? Nun of your business.

LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back