Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric oil heater switch problem.

evi3

Electric oil heater switch problem.

I have an Electric oil heater with which I have a problem, a few days ago the switch gave me a problem so i was forced to change it, I got a new switch i made all the connections but now even if the switch is off the oil heater continues to heat up as if it were on. The light on the switch turns on and off but the switch plays no role because as i said before even when the light is off it continues to heat up.
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpg
4.jpeg
5.jpeg

Solution
I've added numbers to identify the terminals. (The blue wires should not be moved so I've not numbered them).

Heater_wiring.jpg

Take the link bar off the middle terminals.

Then swap the brown and white, terminals 2 <> 4.

The heater element wires are the red and the white. Like that, the red one will run via the thermostat & the white directly from its switch.

To make them both run from the thermostat:

Put the three terminal brown link wire between 6, 1 & 2.

Put the single brow wire on 5.

Red on 3 and white on 4.

The lights will then switch on and off with the thermostat, if the switch for that half is on.
There are two switch actuators. Are they for independently selecting respective heating elements, or are they ganged together?
Is "the switch" actually two SPDT switches side by side, or is it a true DPDT switch?

Take the brown wire off the top right terminal & insulate the end.
Then move the white to that, from the middle right.

What happens then?

If it’s partly working then, remove the link bar from across the middle switch terminals and put the other brown wire on the centre right terminal.
(With the single brown still on the centre left).

There looks to be a brass shorting link across the two middle pins of the new switch, presumably that shouldn't be there?.
In the central pins brown is live and the white goes to the heater elements. I removed that connection and the oil heater no longer heats up automatically the problem is when i removed this connection the left switch no longer turns on i mean the light while the right switch turns on very well, the right switch also controls the light on the left switch when it turns on, apparently that metal filament was also used to power the left switch.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 76
If the heating element continues to heat up even when the switch is off, maybe the internal thermostat has damaged.
The internal thermostat has always worked well the problem is when the switch gave me a problem i wanted to change it. On the new switch i made the same connections as on the old switch but this problem occurred which automatically heats up even if the light on the switch is off.

There are two switch actuators. Are they for independently selecting respective heating elements, or are they ganged together?
Is "the switch" actually two SPDT switches side by side, or is it a true DPDT switch?
take a look at my oil heater seen from above where you can see all the connections.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 70
Take the brown wire off the top right terminal & insulate the end.
Then move the white to that, from the middle right.

What happens then?

If it’s partly working then, remove the link bar from across the middle switch terminals and put the other brown wire on the centre right terminal.
(With the single brown still on the centre left).
Could you be a little more clear because I don't want any more short circuits I've done enough moving the cables.

I've added numbers to identify the terminals. (The blue wires should not be moved so I've not numbered them).

Heater_wiring.jpg

The heater element wires are the red and the white. Like that, the red one will run via the thermostat & the white directly from its switch.

Red on 3 and white on 4.

The lights will then switch on and off with the thermostat, if the switch for that half is on.

Solution

View attachment 143834

Red on 3 and white on 4.

''Thanks a lot'', now it works perfectly, even better than before, i didn't make any changes to the thermostat, i basically removed a switch and put another one making the same connections as the first switch so right from the start the configuration of this oil heater it was wrong now that i have exchanged the red ( goes to the heater elements) with the brown (live in) on the thermostat everything works fine thanks again for the help.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back