Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dual Antenna Connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrix

I have a booster for a satellite receiver. A 75 ohm coax cable runs from the booster to the antenna i/p of the Satellite Receiver. Is it possible to attach another wire (in parallel) to the booster, so that I can have 2 coax cables coming out of the booster ?
Will this affect the signal o/p of the booster?

As Sebi says, you need a two way splitter - it's also VITALLY IMPORTANT that's it's a specific satellite one! (different frequencies and power pass through).

To make life even more complicated, a LOT depends on your exact system - in the UK almost all satellite systems use Universal LNB's, these have four different settings (H, V, High, Low), switched by the voltage up the cable, and by a 22KHz switching signal superimposed on the voltage.

If you connect a splitter to this type of sytem it means that both receivers can only use the same type of LNB setting - this is EXTREMELY limiting.

If you want to do it correctly, you should buy and fit a twin LNB, this has two leads direct from the LNB to the two receivers, and allows both receivers full access. Quad LNB's are common as well, where you can have four receivers connected (or two PVR's).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back