Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

''Digital Dice''

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultranova

Hi there, I'm new to this forums so I will introduce myself first. My name is Benjamin, I'm 17 and from Bosnia&Herzegovina. ( I'm sorry if my English is not understandable in some segments)
So, I got the project to do a ''digital dice'', actually it will be a simulation of dice. The numbers from 1-6 are supposed to appear on LED display. The ''dice'' is supposed to roll numbers from 1-6 and eventually stop on one ( doesn't matter which one). The project has to have an oscillator, counter, decoder and other elements needed for successful work. I don't want an done project, I need some directions, advices and suggestions that would help me. Since I know that there is many ways-round, different solutions to do things in electronics I would appreciate if you could base on a level of my knowledge {( I'm learning digital electronics/electronics for 1.5 year in school ( If it need I may post what have we learned so far)] so I can understand fully what are you telling me/what I am doing. Also, I would appreciate chat with person who is willing to help ( via MSN, or something ).
Thanks in advance.

i remember...

i remember building a digital dice for school...If i dig through my book i could probably find it...

I found one on the internet it...if you go to google.com and search for 'digital dice circuit' you'll probably find what you're looking for...here's a link i found..

Digital dice circuit

307-digital-dice-circuit.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another one:

**broken link removed**

What about the part where the original poster specifically said that he does not want to be given a completed project?

Benjamin, what kinds of circuits have you already built? I assume you know how to use multimeters, LEDs, transistors, 555s, etc?

How long do you have to complete your project? What is your budget?

Regards,

Torben

P.S. Your English is just fine--better than that of many lazy native English speakers on the Internet :)

If you really want to get cool, you should use some form of quantum number generation (true randomness) One such way is to use a white noise number generator. Hardware Random Number Generator
The above circuits posted are not true random generation. Have a look at the article and see if it gives you any ideas.

Last edited:
But since the time the circuits are on and counting is random, depending upon how long the button is pushed, the output number will still be reasonably random.

I did preface with "If he really wants to be cool" Sure the button thingy will work, but it is really not random as any statistician will tell ya. At his age I am sure the button and clock will be just fine.

The "numbers" gradually rolling to a stop would add to the cool factor.

What about the part where the original poster specifically said that he does not want to be given a completed project?

Benjamin, what kinds of circuits have you already built? I assume you know how to use multimeters, LEDs, transistors, 555s, etc?

How long do you have to complete your project? What is your budget?

Regards,

Torben

P.S. Your English is just fine--better than that of many lazy native English speakers on the Internet :)

1.) So far I didn't built any circuit, this is supposed to be first one ( because this is the first one given to us to do it ).

2.) I know how to use multimeter, and I have a theory knowledge about LEDs, transistors, we have learned Monostable&Astable 555 ( I know how they work ), and the last thing we have done were counters and decoders.
So since we have never done any project from start regarding to electronic this was sudden.

3.) I have a 2 weeks and I need to do project in EWB, and I need to present what I have done ( what was my assignment, then It comes presenting scheme in EWB and explaining what part does what, and why I have used this not that, so it is going to look like a seminar ).

1.) So far I didn't built any circuit, this is supposed to be first one ( because this is the first one given to us to do it ).

2.) I know how to use multimeter, and I have a theory knowledge about LEDs, transistors, we have learned Monostable&Astable 555 ( I know how they work ), and the last thing we have done were counters and decoders.
So since we have never done any project from start regarding to electronic this was sudden.

3.) I have a 2 weeks and I need to do project in EWB, and I need to present what I have done ( what was my assignment, then It comes presenting scheme in EWB and explaining what part does what, and why I have used this not that, so it is going to look like a seminar ).

Woah. No hands-on work at all yet? You can still do this, but your teacher isn't helping much by not having had you actually build some of the things you've been studying. At least you don't have to actually have to make a working version (although that would be way more fun).

OK, so for the oscillator, counter, and decoder, there are various options. You also need a way to make the oscillator stop at a random spot. As you may have noticed by now, 555s make good oscillators. Do you have an idea of what you'd like to use for the counter and decoder? It would be wise to choose something that EWB had models for. :)

Regards,

Torben

Here is my first idea for counter : to use module 8 with protection of disallowed stages, I am not really sure about this but here it is :

This circuit has a slow-down feature that makes the display very effective. It comes from Talking Electronics website: "LED Dice"

333-332-LED-DiceCircuit.gif

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
The circuit by Circuitstoday is very biased. The number 3 appears 4 times more often than 1 and two appears twice as often as 1.
And yet no-one has picked up this bias.

what aboit using a high frequency clock using 555 to clock 4017 and reset it after every 6 pulse? the enable input of 4017 can be toggled by another D flip flop / another 4017 with count of 2 to make a logic high when the micro switch is pressed one time (start/ reset) the 2nd press would give logic low making the counter to stop?? since the clock is high frequency ofcause the number would be random.

and i understand he needs a 7 segment display at the end, in this case he can use binary counter instead of 4017 and 7 segment driver to display the digits. the same enable to the counter can be inverted to enable teh display so that it will display only when the counter stops/ holds

Last edited:
Can I use JK Counter by module 8 which will count 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7, and make it to go back to 1 and start over if it hits 0 or 7?

Last edited:
Can I use JK Counter by module 8 which will count 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7, and make it to go back to 1 and start over if it hits 0 or 7?
You should inspect the dice you intend to emulate. Most that I've seen don't have a 0 or 7, just 1 through 6.

You should inspect the dice you intend to emulate. Most that I've seen don't have a 0 or 7, just 1 through 6.

Maybe it is D&D dice. :)

to omit 0, he can go with 4017, then use a binary conversion for 1-6 out puts, then display driver at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back