Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dhcp on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Doggy

hi, got a networking question, hoping someone around knows....

my modem is a cisco router 192.168.1.1 where im connected to net, my home network linksys 192.168.0.1 wan is plugged to lan port on 1.1. My media servers cannot cross networks to the other router but work fine within their own routers.

I realize that turning dhcp off on second router is recommended easy way, but i want to keep ip ranges isolated, everyone talks about a hard way to do this, i think i am looking to do a "routing table", is this correct?

i guess it wont work to just turn firewall off of linksys?

can someone point me to a proper guide of what im lookin to do?

If I understand your config correctly, you need 2 DHCP servers. The one running on 1.1 will assign IP addresses to computers connected directly to 1.1. The one on 0.1 will assign IP addresses to computers connected to 0.1. The 0.1 itself may use DHCP from 1.1 to get its IP address or may have a fixed IP.

actually , i should change the topic, currently both dhcp's are on and assign their own ip ranges to their own devices, and all systems everywhere connect to internet ok, no conflicts,

but things like media server, and rdp don't travel across to the other routers, all the solutions on google say to simply turn the dchp off on #2, and allow #1 to do all the ip assignments, but i dont want to do that,

i want to learn how to allow those devices to cross connect the hard way, while still leaving both dhcp's on

This has nothing to do with DHCP. What you need is "port forwarding". Your routers must be able to do it.

The rule you need to set is not port forwarding, but a new entry in routing table. The ability to do this really depends on what router you have, so post the type and it should be easier to find the proper setting.

yes, ty, i m sure they can too, i have found the section anyway, the linksys can: Single Port Forward, Port Range Forward, or [URL='https://192.168.0.1/Triggering.asp']Port Range Trigger, [/URL]

i have found that RDP is port (3389 by default), and DLNA Media server is port 5001

now that im searching for the rite tutorials im seeing that i need to: make my ip's static, and manually configure port for each ip, is this correct?

is there a way can i just completely turn port block off of the linksys?

Most consumer routers don't have the option to route other than the default route.

The ones I'm going to install eventually, do.

hi, got a networking question, hoping someone around knows....

my modem is a cisco router 192.168.1.1 where im connected to net, my home network linksys 192.168.0.1 wan is plugged to lan port on 1.1. My media servers cannot cross networks to the other router but work fine within their own routers.

I realize that turning dhcp off on second router is recommended easy way, but i want to keep ip ranges isolated, everyone talks about a hard way to do this, i think i am looking to do a "routing table", is this correct?

i guess it wont work to just turn firewall off of linksys?

can someone point me to a proper guide of what im lookin to do?

Hi

It sounds like the Cisco is connected to the internet. Right? If so then you don't need NAT (network address translation) and you don't need the firewall on the
Linksys router. Turn them off. You only need port forwarding if NAT is on. But setup the Linksys as a router only. Routers know where to send frames on directly
connected networks. For your setup, the only route that is needed on the Linksys router is the default route pointed to the Cisco router. If you can get to the internet
from the Linksys, then the default route is already configured.

eT

eT, yes, cisco is internet modem/router(1.1), linksys runs through that(0.1), I dont think im setup proper then, since i loose internet access when i turn NAT off,
and i have firewall off already with no success, port fwd options failed aswell (or maybe i did wrong)

kubeek, i just seen your post there ima try that next, my router is linksys WRT160N,
is there a good example i can find of how to do routing table?
this will be interesting to learn, i have always wondered and assumed that this is similar to how my internet provider maps its internal networks.

otherwise KISS i may need to get a model number from you and pay up!

From the manual page.

4.2.3 Route
If your network makes use of more than one wireless router, you
can configure a routing table to share the same Internet service.
NOTE: We recommend that you do not change the default route
settings unless you have advanced knowledge of routing tables.

[some screen shot goes here] which includes these fields: network//HostIP, Netmask, Gateway, metric, Interface (drop-down)
The metric is a "cost of service" type thing. it essentially gives priorities to different routes. I don't plan on running the stock firmware.

To configure the LAN Routing table:
1. From the navigation panel, go to Advanced Settings > LAN >
Route tab.
2. On the Enable static routes field, choose Yes.
3. On the Static Route List, enter the network information of
other access points or nodes. Click the Add
or Delete
button to add or remove a device on the list.
4. Click Apply.

==

An RFC on routing; https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1058.txt

Last edited:
It sounds to me like what you really need is a router that supports, or is capable of, multiple VLAN's and inter VLAN routing. That being said, depending on the exact WRT160 version, the Cisco Linksys device you have already may well be physically capable of it. I know that some of the Broadcom chipsets they used are capable of it, although you might have to change the firmware to something like DD-WRT in order to access the chipset features. Either way, you will need NAT/ PAT on the device connected to the Internet :)

eT, yes, cisco is internet modem/router(1.1), linksys runs through that(0.1), I dont think im setup proper then, since i loose internet access when i turn NAT off,
and i have firewall off already with no success, port fwd options failed aswell (or maybe i did wrong)

kubeek, i just seen your post there ima try that next, my router is linksys WRT160N,
is there a good example i can find of how to do routing table?
this will be interesting to learn, i have always wondered and assumed that this is similar to how my internet provider maps its internal networks.

otherwise KISS i may need to get a model number from you and pay up!

Hi

After looking at the linksys manual, perform the following on Linksys:
0. Reset the router back to its default settings. Read the manual on how to do this.
1. Turn off firewall
2. Turn off Nat < -- this also eliminates port forwarding requirement
3. Enable dynamic routing <-- step 2 is supposed to auto enable this
3.1 Enable dynamic routing on Cisco(should already be enabled)
4.0 Make sure DHCP is enabled
4.1 Configure DHCP to server IP addresses in range 192.168.0.10- 250 (exclude IP 1-10)
4.2. Setup DHCP reservation for Media Server. <--so server always gets the same IP.
4.3 Verify IP Config on Media Server: IP address, Gateway address, DNS address.
5. Cisco switch port should be plugged into Linksys WAN port.
5.1 Configure Linksys WAN port to 192.168.1.(a number outside range of Cisco DHCP)
subnet 255.255.255.0
6. Use "Ping" to test communication bewteen PC's and Media Server.
Ping from PC's to Media Server: should be successful.
Ping from Media Server to PC's: should be successful.

Dynamic routing allows route tables to be shared between routers. So you won't need to
Edit the routing table. But dynamic routing needs to also be enabled at the cisco router for this to work.

Also. - this issue has nothing to do with VLANS...

What is the part number for the Cisco?

eT

Last edited:
Your Linksys is participating in two networks at the same time, the 1.x network and 0.x network. It has different IPs on these networks.

On 1.1 network, Linksys can obtain its IP address from Cisco through DHCP, but it's not a good idea because this way it may change at any time, which may screw up things. So, you assign a fixed IP for it, say 192.168.1.2 (make sure that DHCP on Cisco won't assign 192.168.1.2 to anyone else!). Now, Cisco with IP of 192.168.1.1 and Linksys with IP 192.168.1.2 are on the same LAN.

Assuming, you don't want any internal NAT, as it seems to be a concensus, you need to set up the following:

On Cisco, you need to tell it that all packets addressed to the other 192.168.0.x are forwared to 192.168.1.2 (Linksys). This will take a routing entry with mask 192.168.0/24 and gatway of 192.168.1.2 - telling Cisco literally this - if I get a packet coming to 192.168.0/24, it has to be sent to 192.168.1.2 (Linksys). You also setup NAT and firewall on Linksys

On Linksys. In addition to 192.168.1.2 IP on the Sisco network, it has a different IP on its own network - 192.168.0.1. You also set up a DHCP server, so that it assign 192.168.0.x addresses to any computer that connects and also tells them that Linksys (192.168.0.1) is their gateway. The last thing you need is to setup default route - everything received by Linksys, if not addressed to LAN computers, must go to Cisco. For all practical purposes, Cisco is an Internet provider for Linksys - and you set it up as if internet provider gave you a fixed IP address - 192.168.1.2. You also need to spcify net mask and gateway. Gateway is where all the packets are sent to - Cisco with its IP 192.168.1.1.

DNS servers. It may or may not be possible to feed DNS servers obtained through DHCP on Cisco to the DHCP server running on Linksys. If not, you will have to get these DNS server IPs and hard code them into Linksys DHCP server.

The easier way to set this up is to simply connect all computers to Linksys.

wow guys what a crazy month, after having to return my termnial pc to the boss, I had to get a new one setup, and had to wipe my other computers clean...

worst part was just as i was pulling on the coax cable attached to the modem, since it was tangled in other wires, i gave it a yank and just as i did that whole house lost power! (not related, but when it happened at the same time it made me jump) either way, the surge was enough to fry the linksys, so ima going to need to get a new one... ill keep ya'll posted!

I hate when that happens. Once I was soldering at work and we lost power; my foot pulled the cord and I tried to catch the hot iron and got the wrong end. I learned something that day.

I learnt MANY years ago, that if you drop a soldering iron, you don't try and catch it! :D

I pays to wear safety glasses too..;)

Once an electronic assembler was hand soldering components, and decided to scratch her eyebrow...with her hand holding the soldering iron! :eek: Ouch!:(
eT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back