Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dBm, dBu, dBW, VU meter, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Attachments

• dBm2.jpg
    dBm2.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 538
  • VU_meter.jpg
    VU_meter.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 451
  • dBmv.jpg
    dBmv.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
I have never thought much about VU meters until now.

Your Question.

If 0VU = +4dBm and assuming that the scale of a VU meter is truely logarithmic (I am not able to confirm this),

then +3 VU = +4dBm +3dB = +7dBm or 5mW

and -7VU = +4dBm - 7dB = -3dBm or 0.5mW

JimB

Very odd question and I think it's very hard to come up with a good answer except:

600 ohms is the standard output Z of professional equipment.
Nowadays, no one even cares where 0 VU is. Just listen to any streamed video from multiple sources.

When you grew up in te age of reel to reel or cassette decks, the VU meter was an integral part. All you cared about is that the average level was in range or 0 VU.

Beause of the mass of the movement and the risetime restriction, it might be tough to get your answer.

If you look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_time you will find that BW * rise time = ~0.34.

That meter has a constant rise time and therefore the Bandwidth is the parameter that is probably related to VU or better yet Bandwidth per unit time.

I'd guess that some complex math would be required to make a digital VU meter.

The real point is, that only 0 VU matters. Compression or expansion could be empoyed to limit the excursions, but I don't think the relationship your asking for is easy.

Let's say you were monitoring a drum roll and a cymbil crack every 1 sec or so. The drum roll is the average if it lasted forever. The occasional excursions of a cymble every second or so contributes to the loudness perceived.

Anywho, this https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...E7KXkqmmorotuvg&bvm=bv.49784469,d.dmg&cad=rja is an interesting amp with input sensitivity in dbu into 600 ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back