Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting ADC directly to MCU

OkAd9498

Hello everyone! I have a task to choose ADC that will have at least 10 MSPS sampling rate and will be able to connect to STM32U575 directly. I very new with this topic, was searching through and found several ones that look like they might work.

Wanted to ask if someone can provide a feedback whether or not following ADC will work in my case, if there is anything else I should consider while using them, etc.

AD9649 Datasheet and Product Info | Analog Devices

Also found these ones, but I do not know if they will work and if yes, whether or not they are better than the first one mentioned above.

LTC2245 - 14-Bit, 10Msps Low Power 3V ADC (analog.com)

LTC2248/LTC2247/LTC2246 - 14-Bit, 65/40/25Msps Low Power 3V ADCs (analog.com)

If anyone has worked with the better ADC, having similar characteristics, would be great if you could share the information and details!

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "connect to STM32U575 directly". In order to handle that data rate, you would need an A/D converter with DMA access to a very large memory. Does STM32U575 allow for DMA peripherals?

We are not going to fight through 341 pages of the micro datasheet.
Does have DMA, but I don't know if it can grab 14 bit data from I/O pins. I think it can work without DMA. Not certain. You need to think about how to connect so the CPU can grab the data with the least effort.

We are not going to fight through 341 pages of the micro datasheet.
Does have DMA, but I don't know if it can grab 14 bit data from I/O pins. I think it can work without DMA. Not certain. You need to think about how to connect so the CPU can grab the data with the least effort.
's not clear if that would be the best approach. 20Mb of data every second is going to take a boatload of memory

The STM32U575 is a 160MHz MCU with a 16 bit parallel slave port, DMA and 768K RAM.

I'd go with the LTC2245 or 2247. They are full 3.3V devices with larger input signal range than the 1.8V AD9649.

Using the faster device at less than its full speed allows a longer sample time without compromising the output data rate.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back