Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Climbing a 1750+ foot transmitter tower video!

Status
Not open for further replies.
crap tents which leaked like a sieve, cold showers & teachers checking the tents regularly (mixed sex trip).

That doesn't sound like conditions favorable to a "mixed sex trip" to me but if you had been raised catholic its was probably a real walk on the wild side. :rolleyes:

I worked on top of the mast of this ship several times while underway, thing was, our safety harness would secure us to the ladder while ascending. Part that spooked me about the video was the guy was not secure for the final climb.

**broken link removed**

OK. I would really like to know two things:

1. Approximately how long does it take them (the two guys) to climb up the mast @ +- 500 Meters..
2. And then to climb down ??. Surely a mammoth task as you would need to step VERY carefully.

Could someone please enlighten me :confused:

Why not do it with the Tech/Techs lowered with a Chopper??. Surely less time wasted. And way safer. They are going to the very top of the tower anyway......

This thing smacks of a con. Another thing...why is the other guys face below purposely blurred........ :D

Illegal mast climbing maybe......I don't know. But a VERY interesting video none the less. Thank you for sharing.

Regards
TV Tech

Last edited:
1. Approximately how long does it take them (the two guys) to climb up the mast @ +- 500 Meters..
I do know it takes some time getting up. As in the video you need to stop and rest every now and then.

I do know it takes some time getting up. As in the video you need to stop and rest every now and then.

There is nowhere to rest. Nowhere to sit down. It's climb or fall. The only way is up. And at the very top there is absolutely nothing....

Cheers,
Tv Tech

Apparently you did not pay much attention to the commentator in the video. They take an elevator to the 1600 foot level then climb from there. For me climbing another 150 feet would not take more than a few minutes even with a couple of quick rests.

This thing smacks of a con. Another thing...why is the other guys face below purposely blurred........ :D

Illegal mast climbing maybe......I don't know. But a VERY interesting video none the less. Thank you for sharing.

Again it was explained by the commentator at some point. They are service techs doing a visual inspection and marker light change out. Also its a normal practice to do climbing in pairs for safety reasons similar to how scuba diving, firefighting, and most other dangerous jobs get done in teems of two or more people. If one person gets in trouble during a climb a second person is immediately there to help. :)

As far as blurring his face out well some people just don't like being publicly recognized for their work!:p

Hi tcmtech

Whatever the Video....this is still scary stuff. Elevator to 1600 Feet is still scary.

And then doing the final work OUTSIDE... Something I am not made for..scared me shitless anyway. Not for me.

Outa here,

TV Tech

There is nowhere to rest. Nowhere to sit down. It's climb or fall. The only way is up. And at the very top there is absolutely nothing....

Cheers,
Tv Tech
You rest standing up and not moving.

OK. I would really like to know two things:

2. And then to climb down ??. Surely a mammoth task as you would need to step VERY carefully.

Could someone please enlighten me :confused:

Why not do it with the Tech/Techs lowered with a Chopper??. Surely less time wasted. And way safer. They are going to the very top of the tower anyway......

Regards
TV Tech

Obviously you have never dismounted from a hovering helicopter. Safer? I think not. This sort of operation is very dangerous. The chance of getting the lowering system snagged into the tower is high.

**broken link removed**

Actually not shown in the video there is a third guy and that would be me. My job is to sit n the Jeep at ground level and call the climber guys next of kin if one of them takes the quick way down.

Another video (granted not at 1750 feet) I have always liked is this one:

This is a link to the U tube video.

I was also surprised at the "free climb" thing where the climber is not attached.

Ron

Last edited:
Ron; The link did not come thru.
I think a helicopter would cause the tower to sway a little. OK maybe a lot.

Last edited:
Ron; The link did not come thru.
I think a helicopter would cause the tower to sway a little. OK maybe a lot.

Sorry, I put a link in. It was one of those Utube don't like linked to I guess. My bad. :(

Ron

Link worked for me. Ron, that was one good helo pilot, did you see how steady that chopper was?

Hi Mike

Years ago I watched a heilo with a huge brush hog cut between the power lines in the West Virginia mountains. Amazing what these guys can do as to keeping a heilo stable. One little screw up and you are toast. (Literally toast).

Ron

Thanks Ron.

The Chopper Pilot and the Tech are totally co-ordinated. No mistakes or room for failure. Otherwise, they BOTH fry.

Great Video. Great visuals too.

Not that high up.....but check the procedures. These guys are trained PRO's. Love the way they follow the rules to the book. Heck, Faraday Cage around you and 500000 Volts (five hundred thousand volts) surrounding you. Extra special Chopper pilots and Tech combo's.

No room for error. Ever.

Trust and training of note.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks
TV Tech.

Last edited:

Thanks Ron.

The Chopper Pilot and the Tech are totally co-ordinated. No mistakes or room for failure. Otherwise, they BOTH fry.

Great Video. Great visuals too.

Not that high up.....but check the procedures. These guys are trained PRO's. Love the way they follow the rules to the book. Heck, Faraday Cage around you and 500000 Volts (five hundred thousand volts) surrounding you. Extra special Chopper pilots and Tech combo's.

No room for error. Ever.

Trust and training of note.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks
TV Tech.

And thank you Mods for cleaning up my post(s).

Owe you
TV Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back