Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Carlsbro merlin 150 head amp.. repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tann-44

Carlsbro merlin pa 150 head amplifier....Fault..dead...

I've not seen one of these in years,..I was ask to repair this amp as it had been in store for some time and left to rot!!...

So after giving the outer casing a good clean up and polishing followed by dismantling to start on the repair. for those of you who have serviced these amps will recall how quick they come apart plus the simple lay out of both power amp rear chassis and front chassis plus the reverb tank that sit's in the middle of the cabinet.

The main problems is as follows....main rail fuse's blown..power transistors s/c.. driver's transistor s/c and emitter resistors o/c plus cracked print/dry joint's on front pre-amp pcb and scratchy pot's due to wear and tear..not for getting these amps are 30+ years old! built to last and once serviced will last for many more years...

The power stage and be traced out very easy or if you can get hold of the schematic it's plain sailing...a quick tip is ... the cobra power out stage is the same design so can be used to aid repair... such as long tail pair/driver bootstrap cc and the o/p transistors... pre-amp is just a repeat of one channel followed by reverb circuit..

So after replacement of parts and more tidying up this amp was ready for action....:)

Nice amps, shame Carlsboro went bust the other year - they were very good about supplying spares and circuits, and even had an on-line help forum.

Even better, the factory was only a short drive from me! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back