Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can you sense ultrasound or RF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moty22

I can sense the PSU in my computer and in my TFT monitor. It takes about 15 minutes for me to get headache from it and the headache stays for 30 minutes or a few hours after I switch my PC off. 2 years ago I moved the PC 3 meters away with extension leads, I also modified the monitor to work on external linear power supply.
I'm ok with my PC now but I cannot use laptops, tablets and most mobile phones.
When I use earplugs the problem is reduced significantly, this makes me quite sure that the interference is to my ears and the 25 to 35KHz causes me headache without hearing it.

I've searched the internet and was surprised to find that it is very common. About 5% of people suffer from ultrasound or RF and they live with it because it is tolerable. About 0.5% of people find it difficult to live with, they are ignored and labelled 'freaks'. The most extreme known case is a man in Norway who was forced to live away from other people, if you switch on a mobile phone next to him he collapses unconscious in a few seconds.

It is not 'industrial disease' and it wasn't caused by working in electronics. Most of the people on the net that suffer from this didn't work in electronics. For me developing induction heaters and switching power supplies just made me aware to it.
Our neural system uses electricity and many experiments proved it. It is possible that some of us have badly designed low pass filters in the brain.

Do you have similar experience?

Last edited:
No. Never.

Been exposed to RF (MHz to GHz), close up and personal, for over 55 years... :woot:

RF - No problem.

High voltage overhead power lines, 132kv to 400kv, always make me feel "uneasy" when I am near them. Whether the effect is real or just a psychological thing because of the "big ziggies", I do not know.

The last CRT based TV I owned had a noisy frame oscillator or rattley frame deflection coils, it could be quite noticable at times.
I now have tinnitus, whether that was triggered by that TV I do not know.

JimB

My old ears can't hear anything above ~3kHz, so no problems.

Back when I was a teenager, I could hear the 15.5kHz horizontal scan in a tube TV set, but that was ~60years ago...

RF - No problem.

High voltage overhead power lines, 132kv to 400kv, always make me feel "uneasy" when I am near them. Whether the effect is real or just a psychological thing because of the "big ziggies", I do not know.

The last CRT based TV I owned had a noisy frame oscillator or rattley frame deflection coils, it could be quite noticable at times.
I now have tinnitus, whether that was triggered by that TV I do not know.

JimB
Your sensitivity is very similar to mine. I also have tinnitus. When we worked in the school labs I found out that I hear better than the rest high frequencies up to 22KHz.
To my opinion the high voltage didn't cause it nor the TV. I think that due to age our ears over amplify low frequencies. There is a sawing mill 2 miles from here and the noise is bothering me more every year while none of my neighbors can hear it. It is well known sensitivity and embedded in the law. You can find a lot about it on the net.

You seem to have moved from RF emf sensitivity to low-frequency sound. Sensitivity to low-frequency sound is well documented. However your claims regarding RF have never been documented with controlled studies. Obviously, no one can prove the non-existence of anything. However, the burden of proof is clearly on those who claim the unusual that is contrary to science, and for that you have presented no verifiable or scientific evidence.

John

You seem to have moved from RF emf sensitivity to low-frequency sound. Sensitivity to low-frequency sound is well documented. However your claims regarding RF have never been documented with controlled studies. Obviously, no one can prove the non-existence of anything. However, the burden of proof is clearly on those who claim the unusual that is contrary to science, and for that you have presented no verifiable or scientific evidence.

John
In the heading "ultrasound of RF" should have been "ultrasound or RF" I made a mistake typing and I don't know how to correct it.
I've never said that I'm sensitive to RF. I said that my sensitivity is to sound and I can hear sound outside the normal spectrum. I'm hoping to learn from experience of others.
You can write anything you wish but if you are not sensitive to sound or RF then your opinion has no value to me. Also your knowledge has no value to me. I also read some of your posts and I can guess what motivates your aggressive and distorted post.

Your problem may be addressed within the limits of current medical knowledge, but so long as you think you have some metaphysical problem, it will not be addressed.

Why did you post here, if you didn't want alternative, science-based views?

John

In the heading "ultrasound of RF" should have been "ultrasound or RF" I made a mistake typing and I don't know how to correct it.
An ordinary user cannot edit a thread title, but a moderator can if you ask nicely. :)

JimB

Where's 'audioguru'? Maybe he is special for the thread!

I can believe your sensitivity to ultrasound. When I was young, maybe only 7 or 8 years old, I remember our town putting in posts with ultrasonic sensors for the main street traffic signals - they would only switch if a car was detected. I could never understand why they would have done that because every time I walked by I heard this awful, annoying screeching. How could people not complain? That was before I understood the concept of ultrasound, echo location and all that jazz. As a teen, I often heard the 15KHz horizontal oscillators from TV sets while often other people didn't hear them. It was about that time I learned about TV technology, so I knew I wasn't insane (or am I?).

For me the perception has always been more of a "feeling" than an actual sound, unless it is really loud. Kind of feels like an air pressure or something. When I get much closer to the source I can then hear the actual fundamental tone.

In my 20's, I remember walking into a particular bank only to hear this painful screeching, but when I looked around nobody seemed to notice it at all. I noticed how it was stronger when I was near these ultrasonic sensors placed all around the bank. I never went back to that bank again.

Sometime in my 30's I was getting a physical for a job and I guess they were real anal and required - among other things - a hearing test. I took the test, and the audiologist pulled out the little printed ticket, observed the results, and in a startled tone asked me "Oh my gosh, how old are you?". I responded and added "Why, what is wrong?" with genuine concern.

She answered "Your hearing is perfect! I've never seen that at your age!".

Whew!

Well advance 20 years later and I can't remember the last time I heard a TV or monitor screeching. I just thought manufacturers got better at making them silent. Playing with a frequency generator at work one day, I discovered that my hearing now tops-out at about 12-13 K, so it has to be pretty d@m loud for me to hear those high frequencies. When I adjust the 15K band on an equalizer, I can hardly notice any difference. Sometimes I like to blame the hearing loss on my ex-wife's voice :)

The good news for you is that someday it will no longer bother you.

Tinnitus as well at about 2600 Hz. Cause - long term antibiotic use due to an incompetent HMO.

Sensitivity to sound. When in migraine mode it's nuts. It's rare I listen to the radio except in the car. Lately TV commercials have been annoying me to the point one hand is always on the "mute" button. Music doesn't sound the same anymore. It's not pleasant. Around the house, I might wear "hearing protectors" because I want it to be quiet. This guy https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-H10A-Optime-Earmuff/dp/B00009LI4K I really like.

I also have a BOSE Quiet Comfort II noise canceling headset. The QC III s a dramatic improvement, but I don't have one.

Not understanding is another issue.

I used to hear the 15 kHz sound. But yes, sound can also GIVE me a headache.

No.

According to wikipedia though, you arent labeled freaks and ignored. There is a term for it. It seems to have been widely studied.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity

A Ton of articles from Google scholar

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=Electromagnetic hypersensitivity &btnG=&as_sdt=1,7&as_sdtp=
As I mentioned before I read many of those articles. I'm still interested to know why only some people are affected. I disagree with the idea that the sensitivity is a result of over exposure, mainly because it doesn't fit my own statistics.

The good news for you is that someday it will no longer bother you.
I'm not looking forward for that day. :)

One of the advantages of having good hearing is that you enjoy music more.
A relative gave up using computer and watching TV at the age of 62 because she felt that the air around her gets "filled with electricity", it is similar to your description. I questioned her about it, made some sneaky experiments and found out that it was real. After a few years I started to be disturbed greatly by the computer and my many experiments lead me to the conclusion that I'm affected by ultrasound.
I think that people who were born with good hearing are likely to also suffer from it at another stage of their life when they need silent.

The members of this forum are the right people to consult because of their understanding of science. Scientists are the wrong source of information because they are paid by the big corporations.

As I mentioned before I read many of those articles. I'm still interested to know why only some people are affected. I disagree with the idea that the sensitivity is a result of over exposure, mainly because it doesn't fit my own statistics.

You do realise this is what confirmation Bias is right? Only finding information that suits your opinion and "what you know". We are all guilty of it to an extent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

The members of this forum are the right people to consult because of their understanding of science. Scientists are the wrong source of information because they are paid by the big corporations.

Scientists have ethics, Not all of them are paid off by big corps. It peeves me when people say this, there are GOOD people in the world. Scientists aren't one of the bad guys. However, consider this, if you were offered millions of dollars of funding to put out biased results versus going broke for research, which would you chose? The funding of course.

(Als0 Im not attacking you! Just providing more information. Sometimes you have to be aware of certain biases to work around them :) )

Tinnitus as well at about 2600 Hz. Cause - long term antibiotic use due to an incompetent HMO.

Sensitivity to sound. When in migraine mode it's nuts. It's rare I listen to the radio except in the car. Lately TV commercials have been annoying me to the point one hand is always on the "mute" button. Music doesn't sound the same anymore. It's not pleasant. Around the house, I might wear "hearing protectors" because I want it to be quiet. This guy https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-H10A-Optime-Earmuff/dp/B00009LI4K I really like.

I also have a BOSE Quiet Comfort II noise canceling headset. The QC III s a dramatic improvement, but I don't have one.

Not understanding is another issue.

I used to hear the 15 kHz sound. But yes, sound can also GIVE me a headache.
The fact that you remember hearing the 15KHz from the TV supports my conclusions. I think that people who are born with good hearing develop sensitivity to sound later on.
I read articles about tinnitus and learnt that most scientist concluded that the main cause is lose of hearing. When I apply their theory to myself I find out that it could be the case. They also say that lose of hearing in one ear confuse the brain and that is tinnitus. I tried to block one of my ears and found out that many sounds that don't normally disturb you become real nuisance.
I have similar symptoms apart for the migraine, I also use same remedies. I can hear in one ear twice as well as in the other one, I find that putting an earplug in the good ear gives good results.
Does your computer give you headache?

Last edited:
You do realise this is what confirmation Bias is right? Only finding information that suits your opinion and "what you know". We are all guilty of it to an extent.
You are right and I also know about this bias. Emotionally I'm more comfortable with my own lies. I think I'm a typical man, I like to feel that "I did it my way".

Scientists have ethics, Not all of them are paid off by big corps. It peeves me when people say this, there are GOOD people in the world. Scientists aren't one of the bad guys. However, consider this, if you were offered millions of dollars of funding to put out biased results versus going broke for research, which would you chose? The funding of course.
You have answered the question yourself.
I don't have the talent to tell between good scientist to a bad one. Most times I look at their photo and if they look honest I believe them. If she is good looking scientist I believe every word she say. I also know that the honest man in the photo isn't the scientist, he is a manager paid to quote the modified report. I fall for it anyway.
I worked for several firms, whenever we had an unhappy customer I lied to him without feeling guilty because I was loyal to the firm.
I think people on this forum are telling the truth all the time because nobody pays them.
It's a catch 22.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back