Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use this flux for soldering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starLED

Can I use this flux for soldering SMD components?
IMG_20200626_185350.jpg
IMG_20200627_214737.jpg

You could, but it would be a very bad idea.

That flux contains Zinc Chloride which is corrosive and not for use on electronic equipment.
You would use that flux for joining big lumps of metal, using a soldering iron like one of these:
Soldering Irons 1.JPG

All solders that I know of for use on electronics have flux incorporated into the solder wire.
For the times when I am soldering something which needs a little extra flux to help the joint make correctly, I use this:
ChipQuick.JPG

To give you an idea of the scale, the tube shown above is 65mm long.

JimB

I watched tutorial videos for SMD soldering, and I saw they all put flux on PCB before soldering, is that really necessary?

I watched tutorial videos for SMD soldering, and I saw they all put flux on PCB before soldering, is that really necessary?

It can help, personally I usually simply tin the pad and then solder the component to it.

But you MUST use the correct solder, the correct flux (if you're using extra flux), and a proper soldering iron with a very fine bit. If you're soldering multi-pin IC's then flooding the pins with flux allows you to drag a spoon shaped bit full of solder across all the pins, and solder them all in a single operation - Pace, for example, make special bits for that purpose.

The pictures you posted of the remote control looks like you used one of the irons in JimB's picture above :D

This is the sort of bit you might be looking at for simple SM work?

Soldering_Bit.png

It can help, personally I usually simply tin the pad and then solder the component to it.

But you MUST use the correct solder, the correct flux (if you're using extra flux), and a proper soldering iron with a very fine bit. If you're soldering multi-pin IC's then flooding the pins with flux allows you to drag a spoon shaped bit full of solder across all the pins, and solder them all in a single operation - Pace, for example, make special bits for that purpose.

The pictures you posted of the remote control looks like you used one of the irons in JimB's picture above :D

This is the sort of bit you might be looking at for simple SM work?

I made a mistake using 60W iron.
I used this WOMAX W-LP 60

60.jpg

I also have WOMAX W-LP 30W, I should've used this one:
30.jpg

I have ZD99 for like 6 years... Still with factory tip... Still works. Its skill demanded job.

I used to repair through hole joints and wires, I should've practice SMD soldering before making a Chernobyl out of PCB board.
Of course you will destroy it. Its learning process.
The greatest teachear failure is.
I prefer this: (for tht)
pctdetail.730-720.1.jpg

That flux contains Zinc Chloride which is corrosive and not for use on electronic equipment.
when i worked for a prototyping/test fixture company, we actually did use ZnCl for a set of test jigs we made for Raytheon. all of the terminals on the test jig were silver plated, and the specification was to use silver solder with ZnCl flux. ALL of the flux was then removed, the organic material with TCE, and any salt residue with hot water. if you ever run into the ceramic terminal strips with silver plated onto the ceramic, silver solder and ZnCl flux is used on those as well... again a good solvent (alcohol is more common these days) and hot water to remove any salt residue (there is a US Air Force Technical Order describing all types of soldering in use, with prescribed techniques for each, and this TO is used by the other 3 services as well). it's use is rare in electronics, but not nonexistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back