Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calling all programming heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.K

I working on a keypad controlled light dimmer and need some assistance with the coding for it. Here's what I want to do

When power is first turned on press “*” and enter a four digit default code; such as, “0000”.

-The light will begin to function.

- To change the code press “#” input the old code followed with a new four digit code sequence.

- New code sequence is accepted and must be used to allow the light to
function.
- Increasing brightness of the light will be controlled by pressing “2”.

-Decreasing brightness of the light will be controlled by pressing “8”

- After 30 seconds the user can not change the brightness with the “2” or “8” key. The selected code sequence must be re-entered.

- At anytime in the future the selected four digit sequence can be re-programmed following step # 3

-Thanks!

Last edited:
I working on a keypad controlled light dimmer and need some assistance with the coding for it. Here's what I want to do

-Thanks!

Thanks for what? Is one of us writing this for you? In what language, on what hardware? Have you any knowledge of anything in this area?

With a bit more info. someone might give some help, but we all have our own projects.

Thanks for what? Is one of us writing this for you? In what language, on what hardware? Have you any knowledge of anything in this area?

With a bit more info. someone might give some help, but we all have our own projects.

Thanks for atleast reading some folks don't. My knowledge of programming microcontrollers are little to none which is why im asking for some help atleast to get started a sample code or something. What additonal info do you need?

Last edited:
Do you realise the enormous task you are requesting.

No matter what language is used, this is a serious request that a large company would pay $5,000 for. It is actually whole controller application that a large company can sell 20,000 units for $150.00

Do you realise the enormous task you are requesting.

No matter what language is used, this is a serious request that a large company would pay $5,000 for. It is actually whole controller application that a large company can sell 20,000 units for $150.00

Oh wow I didn't know that:eek:.Im doing as a project of mine....I understand its a great task and know you are probably a busy person but will you be willing to guide me or help me in putting this program together?

I suspect it's more a matter of what do you need to know...

Start by reading the sticky at the beginning of this Forum. Then pick a microcontroller family (PIC, AVR, etc.). Find tutorials for that family and start reading and working through them.

Good luck. Kind regards, Mike

I suspect it's more a matter of what do you need to know...

Start by reading the sticky at the beginning of this Forum. Then pick a microcontroller family (PIC, AVR, etc.). Find tutorials for that family and start reading and working through them.

Good luck. Kind regards, Mike

I already planned on using a PIC12C508

I am not going to give you a $5,000 program for FREE. I have been in business for 40 years and don't you think people have been coming around all the time for things like this, with the hope of getting something for free and then on-selling it.

I can quote at least 5 instances where I got caught!

Never again.

You can only ask for small pieces of advice, where we can tell, you are really stuck.

That chip is way out of date. It has a new version called PIC12F629 or PIC12F675.

But you don't have enough lines with these 8 pin chips. You need PIC16F628 at least.

Last edited:
I already planned on using a PIC12C508
Good start, though the 12C508 is probably not the best choice. You might look at the 8 pin 12F675 or 12F683 instead.

Now find a good tutorial and collect hardware and a programmer and install MPLAB.

I would recommend downloading and installing the free/lite version of Sourceboost BoostC which supports those 12F' parts when you're ready to start programming in C.

Ask for help when you get stuck or when you don't understand something you've read or when your hardware/software experiments don't work as expected.

Regards, Mike

Last edited:
That chip is way out of date. It has a new version called PIC12F629 or PIC12F675.

But you don't have enough lines with these 8 pin chips. You need PIC16F628 at least.

Good point. The 8 pin devices are probably not a good choice...

I am not going to give you a $5,000 program for FREE. I have been in business for 40 years and don't you think people have been coming around all the time for things like this, with the hope of getting something for free and then on-selling it.

I can quote at least 5 instances where I got caught!

Never again.

You can only ask for small pieces of advice, where we can tell, you are really stuck.

I understand exactly where your coming from, but in my case Im not trying to mass produce and sell anything, I just saw this hobby project and wanted to changed it.

Good start, though the 12C508 is probably not the best choice. You might look at the 8 pin 12F675 or 12F683 instead.

Now find a good tutorial and collect hardware and a programmer and install MPLAB.

I would recommend downloading and installing the free/lite version of Sourceboost BoostC which supports those 12F' parts when you're ready to start programming in C.

Ask for help when you get stuck or when you don't understand something you've read or when your hardware/software experiments don't work as expected.

Regards, Mike

Downloading it right now

The project you mentioned does not provide the listing.

"Hex file for PIC12F629 is not available and is not for sale"

I don't know why the project is on the web if it cannot be duplicated.

For a starter you are better off programming in assembly language as you only need to learn the 35 instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back