Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CAD migration, need a new program

Status
Not open for further replies.

poodlenuggets

I've suffered through my last error with FreePCB, I need a new CAD program. I'm thinking of using one of the more advanced programs, like Eagle, OrCAD or P-CAD.

Does anyone have a recommendation? What's best to use? What's easiest to learn?

It does not always follow that the best to use will be the easiest to learn.

If you are not a professional the free version of Eagle is quite good. It is the only free product with schematic capture tied to board layout. This ensures that the PCB matches the schematic.

Other people like other programs for other reasons.

...It is the only free product with schematic capture tied to board layout. This ensures that the PCB matches the schematic...

ExpressPCB is free, and links its PCB layout to the schematic net. Create the schematic, link the schematic to PCB, place and label the components, lay the traces, then use the "Highlight Net Connections" tool to verify that the pads on each schematic net are connected on the board. Downside is...only board source is them.

Ken

ExpressPCB is free, and links its PCB layout to the schematic net. Create the schematic, link the schematic to PCB, place and label the components, lay the traces, then use the "Highlight Net Connections" tool to verify that the pads on each schematic net are connected on the board. Downside is...only board source is them.

Ken
I have not used ExpressPCB, that is possibly why I do not understand some of what you are saying. With Eagle you enter the schematic, the click create board from schematic. This presents you with a board with all the parts placed off the board and all the airwires/rubber_bands/unrouted_traces in place between the components. Once you have placed all the parts and routed all the traces there is no need to verify connectivity. The DRC (Design Rule Check) is used to ensure distance between circuit traces, pads etc.

How does ExpressPCB differ ?

I've played with the free PCB123 software which seems to be easy to use. (Easier than Eagle, for example). Even has an autorouter which works from the schematic information. But I haven't built any boards with it.

And it also is tied to its own fab plant. I don't think that's a particular problem for small fab runs of hobby boards, but could be if you want larger quantities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back