Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building lt spice transformer / help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm noticing some vast differences in the way a Window Spice works and a Mac. It may be do to the fact LT Spice hasn't been updated to OS X 10.8.5

I think I'm probably going to have to build this in the Window Environment.

Maybe I should redraw them in Windows to see if their is a difference? I know the Capacitors are different, the 10,000uf 35v are.

Last edited:
The 10,000uF caps; you have the value and name reversed.
Need a voltage source or two.
FET2 gate drive transformer not connected.
RT goes to gnd.
CT goes to gnd.
I do not understand why the OSC is not working. It has been 10 years and my memory is bad.
It looks like you want to make a class D audio amplifier.
Go find a power supply design that works. Connect the OSC and soft start parts correctly.
Your OUTA and OUTB are strange. You should not short A and B together.

Now that I have been running this in the windows environment, I found, I can see the 10,000uf caps ratings and such are different under the Edit: Component.

I couldn't even give the Caps a Voltage Rating with the Editor on the Mac side. Building it was easier but creating and making a working circuit much different.

Now I have done the Original and the New drawings, I will have to re-create them in the Windows side to see if it will be better for a Simulation or not?

kv

Last edited:
Doesn't that fill you with confidence?

I'm thinking I should, build a power supply that works (Like you said) and just forget about the audio, for now. Remove the center tap for now, with a single winding.

I would need a better way to power the chip, got any suggestions. I just need to just simplify for now and go from here.

I want to show this schematic is crap and move on.

Thanks, Ron.

I'm going to keep at the TC Spice Program. It's a lot of fun. I just want to get into some smaller circuits and play around with tutorials and stuff. But, I'll have to do that later.

Last edited:
Ok, so I've been doing a bit of reading.......https://tahmidmc.blogspot.com/2013/01/using-sg3525-pwm-controller-explanation.html

After reading about the SG3525 I understand a bit more, but couldn't design my way out a wet paper bag. I notice my voltages needed to go up, 9v VCC and Mosfet VDS 24v.

I decided I could just put Parallel Caps 4 = 4700uf = 9400uf and fixed my flub ups on RT and CT and NI and INV and CMP. These were not correct so, maybe it was my fault.

I also, read the data sheet and notice a similar circuit, the only difference was the 22ohm resistor were not in series between L2 and Gate, rather they are in Parallel to the winding before the Gate.

I know the Author mention 50kH and so did the Blogspot. html. I just want to see if it's oscillating on A and B or not. I don't know who I should setup the simulation. If someone could tell me how I would appreciated it.

Edit: I just read that the "Transient" simulation with 100ms should do what I need.

Thanks all.

Rev4.....

Attachments

• My first LT Spice Drawing ETO Rev4.asc
    4.8 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
I just notice in his schematic he has "10 - SHD" tied to ground, wouldn't this keep it from Ocillating?

Edit: I'm going to lift SHD and tie it to the voltage source and try a simulation.

Last edited:
I ran the simulation to find there is a missing inductance Card? I'll rebuild this on the Windows side, I was just testing. It will most likely run the same, but we'll see.

Good night, ETO.

kv

Last edited:
I rand the simulation to find there is a missing inductance Card? I'll rebuild this on the Windows side, I was just testing. It will most likely run the same, but we'll see.

Good night, ETO.

kv

remove the comma's from the K statement

Should look like this:

K1 L1 L2 L3 .99

BTW,
diodes D1 thru D4 are dangling..

remove the comma's from the K statement

Should look like this:

K1 L1 L2 L3 .99

BTW,
diodes D1 thru D4 are dangling..

Thanks, eTech. How to read errors? If any, their confusing.

Not sure what Dangling means? As you can see I don't know what I'm doing as far as design.

The author of this circuit put them in and say's it's supposed to help with voltage spikes from the Flyback? I don't if he knows what he's talking about.

Last edited:
eTech, took your suggestions, I have connected D1,D2,D3,D4 as well as my K statement.

Thanks.
kv

Edit: FYI, you can't float the Shutdown pin 10. You have to have a low voltage on it or just ground it.

Rev 4.1.1

Attachments

• My first LT Spice Drawing ETO Rev4.1.asc
    5 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
I can't open the Waveform Viewer, I also can't get the DC Operating point to open either. Could someone else give it a try? I don't want to rebuild this in the windows side until someone else experiences the same thing.

KV, trying to learn how to run LTSpice using such a complicated, undebugged circuit is folly. Have you tried running some simple two or three component time-domain sims?

KV, trying to learn how to run LTSpice using such a complicated, undebugged circuit is folly. Have you tried running some simple two or three component time-domain sims?

alec, just helped me over on AAC. I didn't have one of my Fets connected as well as I lifted the Shutdown it is now grounded and I'm seeing the Waveform Viewer. I'll see if I can plot some DC points and rename my nodes.

Thanks you for all your help. I'm sure I'm going to need some more later. But for now I'll give it another go.
kv

Edit: I finally made it work, by coping my post and then deleting the first, saving the changes and then re-editing it and pasting it back, below your quote.

Last edited:
This software is buggy today. It won't let me edit the above post. It added my comment to your quote. It's beginning to piss me off. I was wondering why my schematic wouldn't update either. It's probably the same one from yesterday. I'll re - down load it and see.

kv

Edit: The schematic looks correct now. Also fix the above post.

Last edited:
Ok, I have corrected my paths for the Mosfets, they were not according to the schematic. I'm having trouble because I'm bouncing from work and back, and such. But, it could be just to many projects at a time.

I cleaned it up a bit and you can see everything better, I'm confused why the lower Mosfet's path is different than the top? L1 and L2 are opposite in phase, shouldn't the 22ohm resistor be on the bottom of M1 and G should be connected the same as the lower Mosfet to the Coil? and if the phase inverts the voltage am I supposed to be delivering AC to the HV Primary or is it still DC? I'm a bit confused.

However, this is the new rev 4.2

Attachments

• My first LT Spice Drawing ETO Rev4.2.asc
    5.4 KB · Views: 273
I can't get the SG3525 to oscillate. I don't remember how to look at a sub circuit but I think it is past time to see if the DG3525 was built right.

I am now showing M1 with 206.034A and M2 at 206,032 A

I made changes to the above circuit, questioning the reasoning for the changes in the Mosfet connections.

I can't upload from my Windows side right now but I will as soon as I figure out the problem. I made the changes above and I can't read the smaller voltages or if it's even oscillating. But the above seems to show work being done. I'll get back to you.

Ok, this is what I did, I'm hoping I'm close. FYI, I copied the schematic I've been editing on the windows side. This is difficult, my system is operating at mud speeds. I need to upgrade to Solid State Drive.

It will solve the slow speeds. However, check this out "Transient" 50ms.

Attachments

• My first LT Spice Drawing ETO Rev4.3.asc
    5.5 KB · Views: 305
Like I said slow as Dialup.

Ron, I'm sorry for the problems, but this one is a good one I fixed 4.3 I had no path to D4 and R2. I have fixed it now.

I can't get the SG3525 to oscillate. I don't remember how to look at a sub circuit but I think it is past time to see if the DG3525 was built right.
I can't read it either? I don't know why. It looks dead but it picks up L1 at 217.654pA? Of course this is in the "Transient" simulation. I don't know if I got something or I'm screwed again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back