Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building A small amplifier. NEED ADVICE :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorySCline

Hello all! I'd like to thank anyone in advance for their assistance being offered. I am building a small guitar amp as my first project. I have made some progress and believe I am almost there, but I would like to present what I have so far and get advice on if I have messed up anywhere or not :) I have also EXCLUDED the J2 Jack from the final design.

PARTS LIST:
R1: 22K 1/4W Resistor
C1: 10µF 25V Electrolytic Capacitor
C2: 100nF 63V Polyester or Ceramic Capacitor
C3: 220µF 25V Electrolytic Capacitor
IC1: TDA7052 Audio power amplifier IC
J1,J2: 6.3mm Stereo Jack sockets (switched)
SPKR: 8 Ohm Loudspeaker
B1: 9V PP3 Battery

This is the list I am about to order from mouser.com: (Links included)
R1: Carbon Composition Resistors 1/4W 22K OHM 5%
C1: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 25volts 10uF 4X7mm L/S=1.5mm Bulk
C2: Polyester Film Capacitors 0.1uF 400VDC/200VAC 10%
C3: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 220uF 25volts 20%
IC1: Audio Amplifiers 1W BTL MONO AMP W/VOL CTRL
J1,J2: Phone Connectors 1/4 STEREO SWITCHED
SPKR: Speakers & Transducers 30 x 16.5mm 2W
Battery Clip: PP3 Battery Holder

I anything is incorrect, I would appreciate a mouser.com link to the correct part, however, that is not necessary.

:)

Attachments

• MiniGuitarAmp.GIF
    MiniGuitarAmp.GIF
    1.9 KB · Views: 401
  • render.gif
    render.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 734
Well apparently in multiple tests, my schematic does not work. I have made a total of 33 layouts and I just cannot get it to work. Normally I do not ask this, and I feel kind of ashamed doing so, but would somebody take that circuit diagram and convert it to a usable stripboard? I am not asking this for someone to do my work for me. I simply want it to compare to what I have and find out where my brain is skipping. Thanks in advance!

Well apparently in multiple tests, my schematic does not work. I have made a total of 33 layouts and I just cannot get it to work. Normally I do not ask this, and I feel kind of ashamed doing so, but would somebody take that circuit diagram and convert it to a usable stripboard? I am not asking this for someone to do my work for me. I simply want it to compare to what I have and find out where my brain is skipping. Thanks in advance!
hi,
Have you used the circuit for the TDA, fig #6 in the datasheet.?

Do you have a voltmeter to test parts of the circuit.?

When you say it doesn't work, is there no sound, distortion or what.?

Have you cut all the tracks on the pcb as required.? a clear photo of the front and back of your pcb would help us.

Looks like J1 is wired to switch power. It must be used with a mono plug, It will not work with a stareo plug. Try running the battery negitive right to the strip board row "J".

You designed the schematic and parts layout for an older TDA7052 IC but you are using a newer TDA7052A IC that has a built-in volume control at pin 4.

@ericgibbs: No I have not tested the circuit from Diag 6. I may be making very beginner level mistakes but thats because I'm a beginner :). That was simply a diagram that was found online with a few minor instructions. It looked simple enough for me to muddle through as a first project. Apparently not lol. I apologize for any unclarity, but I have not actually soldered an parts yet. All my testing has been done inside LochMaster and DIY layout creator. I cannot seem to get continuity through C1 and R1. Is this a flaw with the program that will not manifest on a StripBoard?? Could you recommend a better one?

@4pyros: Forgive the possible stupidity of the question, but you are referring to a 2 pin plug, correct? In this case, Pins 3, 6, and 2 (through C1) would all go to the same track as one pin of the plug and then negative battery would go to the other pin?.

@audioguru: This TDA7052 was the closest one I could find on mouser.com, I figured I could make it work. Apparently that is not the case.

So, after the much thought you have all provided, I will be switching gears here and redesign using the diagram that is in the IC's Datasheet that I picked.

@4pyros: Forgive the possible stupidity of the question, but you are referring to a 2 pin plug, correct? In this case, Pins 3, 6, and 2 (through C1) would all go to the same track as one pin of the plug and then negative battery would go to the other pin?.
No pins 3 and 6 need to go to the battery negative. Audio input gose to pin 2 through C1 with the common conected to the the battery negative as well.

Auru: This TDA7052 was the closest one I could find on mouser.com, I figured I could make it work. Apparently that is not the case.

You should use the datasheet for the IC that you have. An old TDA7052 is very different to a new TDA7052A.
But your circuit has the pin 4 volume control pin connected to ground so it should work at max volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back