Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bridge Rectifier Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kempachi343

I am building a basic power supply "Transformer - Rectifier - Smoothing - Regulator" and I have one easy question I cant solve.

I have a 240vac > 12vac transformer capable of putting out 8amps.
I need a 12vDC output, capable of at least 6amps.

For my rectifier, I cant find what I see to be a suitable bridge rectifier on jaycars website, the only bridge rectifiers capable of passing 8+ amps, are all rated at 50v-1000v.

Am I wrong, and do I just choose a bridge rectifier based only on it's maximum current, regardless of it's voltage range, Or am I missing something altogether?

Cheers,

Daniel.

The voltage rating for the diode, like the current rating, is a maximum so it is okay.

Just keep in mind that when a component has lots of one good thing, it probably had to sacrifice something else in order to get it. For example, a 1000V diode might have a higher forward voltage drop than an equivelant 50V diode but they will both probably still work in a 30V circuit(unless the circuit is really sensitive to some difference between the two diodes), but the 50V will probably work better than the 1000V one . So don't go too overboard.

Last edited:
dknguyen, I've ran into another puzzling thought.

I've been reading through this article related to the smoothing process of my dc waveform,

Smoothing - Electronics in Meccano

I can only work out that to achieve the "The ripple voltage should not be more than 10% of Vs" I would need at least a 0.05F Capacitor.

The maths I'm using is that of the website,

Vr = I/CF

Where I = 6A
C = .05F
F = 100hz

which = 1.2v (10% of Vs)

The largest capacitors I see on Jaycar are 4700UF which is not nearly big enough according to my maths, Do these capacitors exist, is it what I need, or am I approaching this in the wrong way?

Cheers.

you are calculating based on RMS instead of peak.

the peak is 17V at full load and 20V at no load.

There is absolutely no way to maintain 12V +/- 1V with out a regulator.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back