Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Breadboard Kit suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClickKlick

I'm looking for a kit that I can build circuits on. Can anyone recommend a good one? How is this one? **broken link removed**

Looks like a good kit if you want to learn about electronics and build the various projects that are included. Don't know how useful it would be if you just want to build you own designs.

I think I would have to agree with Crutschow, get yourself some real breadboard.
Sure Electronics have a sale on just now and they have a fairly large breadboard in the sale. If you have your own breadboard setup you can create virtually anything you like on it, unlike the kit you're looking at, where after you complete a pre-set list of experiments on it, there's nothing left to do with it except complete them again.

I agree it's handy to have all the trinkets that's on it, like they keypad, display etc, but if you're serious about getting into this stuff, these things are normally kicking about your desk anyway and all can be had for little money from fleabay and surplus shops.

rgds

Thanks for the suggestions. If I were to buy a "real" breadboard, where could I get a surplus of parts (resistors, caps, ICs etc.) from cheap? I've ordered from digi-key in the past and they are pretty expensive when buying small orders.

I'm not sure I'm quite at the point of designing my own circuits yet. I've been out of school for a year and am trying to brush up on my skills. Even so i have all of my old college books that have LABs to build in them, I'm just in need of actual parts. Thanks for all the help so far.

Thanks for the suggestions. If I were to buy a "real" breadboard, where could I get a surplus of parts (resistors, caps, ICs etc.) from cheap? I've ordered from digi-key in the past and they are pretty expensive when buying small orders.

I'm not sure I'm quite at the point of designing my own circuits yet. I've been out of school for a year and am trying to brush up on my skills. Even so i have all of my old college books that have LABs to build in them, I'm just in need of actual parts. Thanks for all the help so far.

I've had good luck buying assortment of specific parts by dealers in E-bay. For example:
**broken link removed**

I've bought such from sellers both state side and Asia and never had a problem or been disappointed. I've bought assortment of passive components as well as diodes, voltage regulators, op amps, transistors, etc. It's easy to get carried away but if you stay in this hobby, a well stocked parts bin is never a waste and the shipping charges saved over time (compared to just buying what you need when you need it) will be significant. The price per item for these assortment packages can be quite good.

As a young kid we would search out the trash at TV repair stores and get parts by stripping TV chassis apart, but those days are over for sure. ;)

And I agree, I think also the best way to proceed is with breadboarding strips. They can be expanded also, I have a four wide one mounted on a case that has inside common power supply voltages brought out. Don't forget one of your first purchaes should be a decent digital multimeter, they are inexpensive these day and you have to be able to measure those pesky electrons as they are too small to see :D

Last edited:
Parts Express has no minimum order and you can ship small orders cheaply by parcel post.

Don't forget one of your first purchaes should be a decent digital multimeter, they are inexpensive these day and you have to be able to measure those pesky electrons as they are too small to see :D

Any suggestions on brands or models? I used a Fluke in school and that is way too expensive for what i need.

Also, I appreciate the help everyone. Sure Electronics has a lot of things and surplus parts. Any suggestions to start with? Resistors, capacitors, transistors, and some 555timers... does that sound like a good start? Would you add anything?

Also, any books you guys might recommend or have used with success?

(Sorry for all the questions.)

How safe is it to order from Sure Electronics by credit card? I noticed they are located in China. That makes me a bit wary.

They accept paypal (my paypal is via credit card not checking account) and I've never had a payment problem. Once they did ship the wrong product (SMD assortment instead of leaded assortment of some caps) and when I contacted them via email they said keep them and sent the proper ones promptly. Maybe have had 6 transactions with them all worked fine. Shipping (cheapest method) usually comes in 7-10 days. I usually but via E-bay, rather then directly from their site, as most of there stuff is listed there.

I almost bought one of those kits but I found something better.

This comes with a breadboard and LOTS of components.
**broken link removed**

I bought this kit and 2 others...
here is a picture of all the stuff I got for under 35 bucks. from this same guy
that black box has tons of 1/4 watt resisters in almost every value (that was a resister kit i bought.)

**broken link removed**

There is so much free stuff on the net so finding a schematic or projects is pretty easy my friend!

Last edited:
Thanks, I think I'm gonna order from NightFire.

Quick question. Anything special I should use to power my breadboard with?

Hey ClickKick!
The op amp kit comes with a 9 volt adapter. 9 volts work pretty good, but after a while you might consider a wall wart, you should be able to find one of these around the house or from someone elses junk drawer.

I would get a coule more kits to add to you collection from them. Call them up they are super nice. I recommend getting some more transistors.

Thanks AcousticBruce, I am gonna order more resistors, caps, ICs, diodes, and transistors when i order.

What is a wall wart? A simple DC power supply? Like from a phone charger?

A wall wart is exactly that. These are easy to find and if for some reason you dont have one... well ask a friend, they surely have a junk drawer :)

in case your wondering these are the kits i bought.

Audio FET & Op Amp IC Kit #1
**broken link removed**

1/4 Watt Carbon Film Resistors
**broken link removed**

Assorted Voltage Regulators Design Kit
**broken link removed**

I also bought like 6 more chips, op amps and timers from radio shack.

Hey ClickKick!
The op amp kit comes with a 9 volt adapter. 9 volts work pretty good, but after a while you might consider a wall wart, you should be able to find one of these around the house or from someone elses junk drawer.

I would get a coule more kits to add to you collection from them. Call them up they are super nice. I recommend getting some more transistors.

I think a well used and designed breadboard would/should have a +5VDC regulated and + and - 12 VDC regulated supplies. This would cover most analog and digital circuits. At least 1 amp of current for each or those voltage would be nice and more for the +5 if possible. Although a little large and much more current then required, a popular and cheap power supply option is to convert a PC ATX power supply module into a 'bench' type supply. I've seen many articles on the web about converting them and they can be picked up new or used for very little money.

Lefty

Any suggestions on brands or models? I used a Fluke in school and that is way too expensive for what i need.

Hi, I've used a "GB GDT-190A" (made in China, isn't everything?) for several years and it has worked well. I bought it at a hardware store for under $30. It's handheld, comes with 6' test leads, uses small inexpensive internal batteries. 5 DC voltage ranges, 2 AC voltage, 5 DC amp ranges, 5 resistance. Also 10 amp unfused DC input jack.

Likely your h/w store won't have this model, but something very similar.

Luck! -- geodejerry

If you want a protable setup harbor freight sells these cases with removable bins. The breadboard is to the left and the junebug is in the upper right. Large image.

3v0

Attachments

• SDC10046.JPG
    SDC10046.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 550
1/4 Watt Carbon Film Resistors
**broken link removed**

Assorted Voltage Regulators Design Kit
**broken link removed**

305 resistors for less than £7... a ton of parts for less than £6... How can they sell them so cheap?! Very glad to have found this site, thanks AcousticBruce!

Methinks my PayPal account is about to take a bit of a whacking :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back