Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Breadboard and a 14 pin dual header

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcn

So I want to play around with an LCD display on a breadboard
using one of Nigel's tutorials.

The only thing is that the display comes with a male 14 pin, dual row
header, i.e. two rows of 7 pins.

Is this one of those cases where I just have to make my own cable
or is there a standard adapter that will convert this to a single row,
14 pin header?

Thank you.

kcn

kcn said:
So I want to play around with an LCD display on a breadboard
using one of Nigel's tutorials.

The only thing is that the display comes with a male 14 pin, dual row
header, i.e. two rows of 7 pins.

Is this one of those cases where I just have to make my own cable
or is there a standard adapter that will convert this to a single row,
14 pin header?

In my tutorial boards I solder wires directly to the LCD board, that go to a Molex connector - so it's simple to connect either type - just solder the wires correctly!. I've got examples of both styles that I use.

If you scrap out enough computers, you should end up with enough of those double-row square-pin ribbon cables from the floppy and hard drives that you can use one to connect to the connector while you cut the connector from the other end and tin the wires for individual insertion into the breadboard. Or, you could solder them to a 14-pin DIP (0.3" spread, standard IC size) header and use that for your breadboard connection.

Dean

I cant seem to find them again, but I bought some of the 14 pin dip sockets that you can crimp the ribbon cable into. They worked great, I think I got them from electronics xpress, www.elexp.com

I use the SIL header plugs. I solder them onto LCD's, Potentiometers, 9 pin D (RS232) connectors etc.

Mike.
Here's some picks that might make it clearer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back