Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Blood pressure update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK - latest update.

Been to the hospital today about the other eye - basically all they did was check the first eye was OK, which I thought they did 8 weeks ago at post op.

So I've now been given a date for the second eye op, 14 Jan 2011 - considering the first op was 13th Sept 2010, and I was told the second eye would be done as a matter of urgency, that doesn't seem very 'urgent' to me :(

Everyone else I've spoken to, without it been 'urgent' had the second op six weeks after the first (which in my case would have been six weeks ago).

My first eye that had cataracts surgery developed a "membrane" in it that caused lines radiating out from bright lights. The membrane was blasted away with many shots from a high power laser that felt strange and made the eye feel hot. The second eye did not develop a membrane.
I have been "checked" by the surgeon many times at about 20 seconds per visit and all is well. I think the surgeon gets well paid by government medicare for each visit so maybe he will "check" me for years.

I like seeing the pretty young women technicians there.

Last edited:
I was normal too, until I reached 62 years old and couldn't see clearly because everything looked cloudy. It was caused by cataracts so I got the cloudy lenses removed and new lenses put in my eyes and now everything looks perfect.
I thought I was normal then had a heart attack when I was 63. I was rushed to the hospital and had an angioplasty operation where the surgeon put a catheter into the artery in my leg and installed stents into two blocked arteries that feed my heart. The surgery was done fast enough so there was no damage to my heart and now I am normal again. I can run fast on the street and in the park with my dog.
Maybe I am also lucky like you.

AG, you are like me I like to go see the techs at the vascular surgery department as well. I had an aorta replaced in my abdomin and they "check" me every 6 months to the tune of 15 seconds for around 370.00 a visit. If I was a hooker I would love to make that much an hour!!!!! But the looks are fun even though at my age I have forgotten what I would do if I got lucky and managed to catch one. Not likely though, they damaged my spine and destroyed my kidneys so I dont have much of a chance of running any of em down in a wheel chair....but the thought still remains, Hmmmmm......
Bob

they damaged my spine and destroyed my kidneys so I dont have much of a chance of running any of em down in a wheel chair....
Hi Bob,
You are lucky to be alive and are able to see the pretty young techs and think about what you would like to do to/with them.

OK - latest update.

Been to the hospital today about the other eye - basically all they did was check the first eye was OK, which I thought they did 8 weeks ago at post op.

So I've now been given a date for the second eye op, 14 Jan 2011 - considering the first op was 13th Sept 2010, and I was told the second eye would be done as a matter of urgency, that doesn't seem very 'urgent' to me :(

Everyone else I've spoken to, without it been 'urgent' had the second op six weeks after the first (which in my case would have been six weeks ago).

hi,
Talking about postponements, being waiting for weeks for a painful wisdom tooth extraction at the local hospital, which was due tomorrow, they just phoned its now the 6thDec!...:rolleyes:

BTW: Nigel, just got my blood works test results, all in the green, so I guess this natural food products regime I keep crowing about is still working..:)

Hi there Nigel,

Sorry to hear about your condition like the BP problem, hope it gets better. I've been battling a little bit too with that the past few months.
Nice country side pics BTW. I took some like that in Jersey too but mostly farmlands.

hi,
Talking about postponements, being waiting for weeks for a painful wisdom tooth extraction at the local hospital, which was due tomorrow, they just phoned its now the 6thDec!...:rolleyes:

OUCH - perhaps I'm lucky, I've never had wisdom teeth.

My daughter has been teething for about 7 years with them though :D

BTW: Nigel, just got my blood works test results, all in the green, so I guess this natural food products regime I keep crowing about is still working..:)

I'm pleased it's working for you.

Hi there Nigel,

Sorry to hear about your condition like the BP problem, hope it gets better. I've been battling a little bit too with that the past few months.
Nice country side pics BTW. I took some like that in Jersey too but mostly farmlands.

Thanks, the BP seems under control now, just waiting for the second eye op.

I was also a bit disconcerted to be told I'm in the VERY high risk group for detached retina's.

Last edited:
Yeah, only 20% of the people who undergo this surgery even survive to get off the table, let alone walk and talk. I'm glad to be in the very small minority for a change. Hoping to be rid of the wheel chair soon enough.
Bob

Thanks, the BP seems under control now, just waiting for the second eye op.

I was also a bit disconcerted to be told I'm in the VERY high risk group for detached retina's.

Hello again,

You couldnt hear it but i just cursed out loud on your behalf because of the 2nd problem. I hope it works out for you really. It's almost like the lottery though, there are all these things that could happen and sometimes the 'high risk factor' ends up not counting anyway in the end, so i hope it doesnt in your case too. Life ends up being almost like magic sometimes, sometimes good magic and sometimes bad magic, and we pray for the good magic :) We do get it sometimes too!

Last edited:
Nigel, the concensus of opinion is you are not allowed to be ill. We need your valuable input and guidance way too much for you to be out of the loop. So do the BP pills and eat the right stuff for a bit longer please. I figure I need at least 2 more years to get a firm grasp of "basic" electronics and a few more to get most of the rest figured out. I am definately way lost, but making progress with your insight and guidance. So get well and stay well, or else!!! We all need you...
Bob

Nigel, the concensus of opinion is you are not allowed to be ill.

I've not been 'ill' :D

My eyesight was getting worse and worse, and the optician suggested I might be diabetic - even though they could find no such problem.

So I went to the doctor, first time for 30 years or so - once you're in their clutches you don't get out! :p

That was when they discovered my BP was dangerously high, and I wasn't diabetic. Another trip to the optician later, to be told they couldn't improve my eyesight appreciably and given a letter for my doctor, I was eventually examined at Hospital. I was diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes, one has been done, and the second is due 14th January, four months after the first :(

Oh, and now my BP is under control, I've been given cholesterol tablets as well.

Incidently, here are my BP averages since I started a daily record:

Code:
 By week:
    129/71, 82bpm - over the last week - from 18 November, 2010 to 25 November, 2010
    130/71, 81bpm - over the previous week - from 11 November, 2010 to 18 November, 2010
    131/72, 81bpm - over the week, 3 weeks ago - from 4 November, 2010 to 11 November, 2010
    132/72, 84bpm - over the week, 4 weeks ago - from 28 October, 2010 to 4 November, 2010
    132/73, 90bpm - over the week, 5 weeks ago - from 21 October, 2010 to 28 October, 2010
    131/71, 85bpm - over the week, 6 weeks ago- from 14 October, 2010 to 21 October, 2010

By month:
    130/72, 83bpm - over the last month - from 25 October, 2010 to 25 November, 2010
    136/74, 85bpm - over the previous month - from 24 September, 2010 to 25 October, 2010
    143/77, 78bpm - over the month, 3 month ago - from 24 August, 2010 to 24 September, 2010
    147/78, 80bpm - over the month, 4 month ago - from 24 July, 2010 to 24 August, 2010
    154/79, 79bpm - over the month, 5 month ago - from 23 June, 2010 to 24 July, 2010
    184/91, 82bpm - over the month, 6 month ago - from 23 May, 2010 to 23 June, 2010

Last edited:
Thats why they call high blood pressure the "silent killer". You are lucky you didnt blow the pump last May. I walked around with it for who know how long and it cost me an aorta and a set of kidneys. So be carefull and take them pills, I really need ya to stick with us all a while longer. Happy holidays to you and yours!!!
Bob

Thats why they call high blood pressure the "silent killer". You are lucky you didnt blow the pump last May.

The initial average is pretty misleading - at the doctors my BP was 230 over something like 180 :D

The doctor gave me a prescription for Ramipril, and told me to go straight to the pharmacy and collect them, NOT to go to work, but to go home and take one - and then lie down. Then to go back and see him the next morning, where he took my BP again, and doubled the doseage of Ramipril.

There all seemed amazed that I had no symptoms, they expected headaches as a minimum - but I'd always been fine, and hardly ever had to take Asprin or anything. Like they say - the silent killer - but my BP had probably been like that for decades.

70 to 90 bpm is pretty high for a resting heart rate, like my little dog.
I was an athlete when I was a teenager and in my early 20's but have been a (slim) couch potato ever since. My resting heart rate was about 65 bpm recently and now with the Metoprolol pills (they slow down the hearbeats but make each beat much stronger) it is 50 to 60 bpm.

In the Cardio excercise healthclub at the hospital I got my heartrate up to about 180 running on the treadmill and the pretty nurse told me to "cool it". But I felt fine. During the final "stress test" at the hospital I sustained a heartrate of 180 for a long time before I ran out of breath blowing into the breathing tube. Otherwize I felt fine.

My resting pulse rate has been around 60bpm ever since I have been on bisoprolol.

My doctor says my heart beats like a kitchen clock... he sets his watch by it.:)

The best I can do on the tread mill is around 120bpm , I take three 800 mtr walks every day and never get tired.

I think I am very lucky to have my cholesterol-blocked heart arteries fixed (they caused my recent heart attack) quickly enough to avoid any damage to my heart.
Some people do not have access to a nearby hospital (my local hospital is a couple of minutes away), cannot afford treatment (my government medicare was free) or stupidly or unconsciously wait too long to call for help. If my heart attack occured when I was out walking my dog then I would be dead now.

I feel like a young man again. Woopee! The new lenses in my eyes make it even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back