Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Blood pressure update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was offered the huge (they need big insisions and a long time to heal) and cheap (no cost, the Canadian government pays for it) old lenses. Their vision is poor at night.

Then the fairly expensive very small (they are folded) and heals very quickly lenses (I got them).

Then the new "variable focussing" extremely expensive lenses but they are poor at night and sometimes their focussing mechanism gets stuck then it must be replaced.

My "medium" lenses work perfectly at all times except I use reading glasses (like before) for close-up.
My cataracts surgery included special surgery to correct astigmatism that all old geezers get.

Now I can see nice things far away that my wife doesn't know what I see. Before she caught me looking at other women and said, "What are you looking at?"

I was offered the huge (they need big insisions and a long time to heal) and cheap (no cost, the Canadian government pays for it) old lenses. Their vision is poor at night.

Those kinds of lens are usually only used in the third world, where they can't afford the expensive micro-surgery equipment, and requires a smallish cut in the eye, which they then stitch up. As you say, recovery is a LOT longer, and the risk of infections or other problems is a fair bit higher.
Then the fairly expensive very small (they are folded) and heals very quickly lenses (I got them).

As far as I'm aware all the UK NHS fitted ones are rolled up in an inserter, according to the spec on mine it only needs a 3mm hole in the eye to fit it. As long as the Hospital has the micro-surgery equipment, then it's a LOT faster, cheaper, and more effective solution for the hospital.

Then the new "variable focussing" extremely expensive lenses but they are poor at night and sometimes their focussing mechanism gets stuck then it must be replaced.

You can't get them for free here so it wasn't on option :p

And I'd certainly rather have a permanent solution and glasses, than perhaps need it doing again later - apparently the standard lens are supposed to last 150 years, I suspect I won't last as long!.

My "medium" lenses work perfectly at all times except I use reading glasses (like before) for close-up.
My cataracts surgery included special surgery to correct astigmatism that all old geezers get.

No mention of astigmatism here, but I'm not that old a geezer yet :D

Now I can see nice things far away that my wife doesn't know what I see. Before she caught me looking at other women and said, "What are you looking at?"

As I've only got one eye done, does that mean I can only look at half of a ladies chest? :p

Last edited:
I would like to see the motion of huge ones on 3D TV.

Now that could make 3D worthwhile :D

I went out to sort a new one out the other week (the delivery guys couldn't get it working), I must admit the demo that was on at the time was absolutely spectacular - it was of spiders, centipedes etc. - it looked like you had a huge 'fish tank' in the room with you. Currently there's only a demo channel on, but it shows a few actual programmes as well, an actual 3D channel launches in October.

OK, latest update:

First eye operation two and a half weeks ago, VERY pleased with it - awaiting letter about op on other eye now.

I've been to the doctors again today, BP systolic is running between 140 and 150 (bottom figure is fine), so she's prescribed a third load of tablets - I can't even pronounce this one :D

Bendroflumethiazide

As usual I've googled it, to find out it's a diretic - makes you pass more water, and more frequently.

The Felodipine already does that as one of the side effects, I think I'll have to start carrying a bucket with me :p

Hi Nigel,
It is wonderful to hear about the good results for your eye, but the BP is still a little high.

I wore a portable blood pressure monitor for 24 hours (it woke us every hour at night) a few months ago and today I removed a portable ECG thing (6 sensors on my chest) that I wore for 48 hours and wrote details of what I was doing in a diary. It might help explain why sometimes I breathe quickly when I am not excercising.
I don't notice that I pant like a dog (my wife notices it) and it happens even when there is not a pretty girl walking past. (smilie)

As usual I've googled it, to find out it's a diretic - makes you pass more water, and more frequently.

With such medications it is common that you will lose electrolytes. Over time your potassium and sodium levels can become critically low, so make sure you doc stays on top of that.

Potassium in a vitamin pill causes a problem with some blood pressure drugs like Ramipril that I take.
Sodium in salt increases blood pressure. I like eating salt so maybe that is why I need the blood pressure-reducing drug.

I pass a lot of water after drinking a lot of beer (burp!) or coffee.

With such medications it is common that you will lose electrolytes. Over time your potassium and sodium levels can become critically low, so make sure you doc stays on top of that.

hi,
Banana's are a good source of potassium, I eat one every day........:)

OK, just to keep you updated :D

Been to the doctor today, and she's fairly happy with the blood pressure, it's averaging about 133/77 at the moment, with the three lots of tablets per day.

Then she mentioned cholesterol, presumably she was waiting until the BP was reasonable before she did :D

So I'm now on a fourth tablet, 40mg of Simvador to reduce cholesterol, and have to go for a blood test in Feburary to see how it's doing - she said it was 6.5 on my previous blood test (which was back in the summer).

As far as the eyes go, I have an appointment for 22nd November (ten weeks after the first op) to have the second eye examined again (they already did this back on 5th August!, and it was measured for a lens at the same time as the other), so I'm not even on the waiting list for the second op yet :(

Nigel Goodwin;924558
So I'm now on a fourth tablet, 40mg of Simvador to reduce cholesterol, and have to go for a blood test in Feburary to see how it's doing - she said it was 6.5 on my previous blood test (which was back in the summer).

Nigel,
Two years ago my cholesterol was reading 5.4, the Dr wanted to put me on Staten tablets to reduce it.

I told him I would prefer to try plant Sterols, which is sold in Benecol yoghurts/drinks and margarines, he agreed to let me try that for 2 months.

After 2 months having one Yoghurt a day and using margarines my cholesterol was down to 4.4 which is below the norm of 5.

I have kept it around 4.5/4.6 ever since without the use of tablets.

Your BP looks good, keep up the walking, good luck..

BTW: I did notice my BP came down when my cholesterol was reduced, I take two BP tabs a day whereas it used to be 5.!

Last edited:
Nigel,
Two years ago my cholesterol was reading 5.4, the Dr wanted to put me on Staten tablets to reduce it.

I told him I would prefer to try plant Sterols, which is sold in Benecol yoghurts/drinks and margarines, he agreed to let me try that for 2 months.

After 2 months having one Yoghurt a day and using margarines my cholesterol was down to 4.4 which is below the norm of 5.

I have kept it around 4.5/4.6 ever since without the use of tablets.

Your BP looks good, keep up the walking, good luck..

I'm not doing much walking at the moment, apart from the bad weather I've been having problems with a sore achilles tendon on my left foot.

The figure of 6.5 I mentioned can only have come from the blood test from back months ago (April/May time?), when my BP was in the 200's, I've also lost weight since then, and have a (slightly) healthier lifestyle :D

I'll take the pills and see what the blood test says in Feburary.

BTW: I did notice my BP came down when my cholesterol was reduced, I take two BP tabs a day whereas it used to be 5.!

I'll let you know if that happens with me :D

Sorry to hear you've been having BP issues Nigel. It's the first time I've seen this thread.

You did inspire me to dig out my BP meter and see what mine is; 145 on 85 or so which is probably not too bad considering all those years of bodybuilding and then the last 8 years of lazy sedentary lifestyle. Time to make some changes. :)

I remember something about you were into martial arts? Did you do relaxation training or self-hypnosis training etc? There must be some reason those Buddhist monks live to 100+... (OK maybe its the vegie rice diet and 10 hours a day of kung-fu on the mountaintop!)

Sorry to hear you've been having BP issues Nigel. It's the first time I've seen this thread.

I'd probably had high BP for years, I hadn't seen a doctor for about 30 years :D

You did inspire me to dig out my BP meter and see what mine is; 145 on 85 or so which is probably not too bad considering all those years of bodybuilding and then the last 8 years of lazy sedentary lifestyle. Time to make some changes. :)

Not too bad :D

It took four months of two lot's of pills to get me averaging around that figure, and a third lot of pills to drop lower.

I remember something about you were into martial arts? Did you do relaxation training or self-hypnosis training etc? There must be some reason those Buddhist monks live to 100+... (OK maybe its the vegie rice diet and 10 hours a day of kung-fu on the mountaintop!)

We don't do much meditation or anything, it's more practical self defence than anything else.

My BP was 150/90 then I quit drinking alcohol. 3 months later my BP is 120/80 and I lost 20 pounds (9Kg). No meds but I do miss a good beer from time to time.

Do you HAVE good beer in America? :eek: I thought US beer was about 3% alcohol. In Australia we serve that weak stuff to women and children. :D

Nigel said;
We don't do much meditation or anything, it's more practical self defence than anything else.

Have you tried some bio-feedback or meditation techniques when you are using your BP meter? I reckon I can lower mine about 10 points with some breathing and relaxation (someone else said the same thing earlier too).

Do you HAVE good beer in America? :eek: I thought US beer was about 3% alcohol. In Australia we serve that weak stuff to women and children. :D

Ouch! :D

Nigel said;

Have you tried some bio-feedback or meditation techniques when you are using your BP meter? I reckon I can lower mine about 10 points with some breathing and relaxation (someone else said the same thing earlier too).

There doesn't seem much point trying to rig the reading at that particular moment in time :D

Currently it seems to be doing quite nicely - mind you, I was never ill at all from it.

Ouch! :D

There doesn't seem much point trying to rig the reading at that particular moment in time :D

Currently it seems to be doing quite nicely - mind you, I was never ill at all from it.

Good beer in the US is anything that wont kill ya. Good beer in Germany is another story entirely... I do miss a good room temp Hefe Wiezen....BP aint no joke, keep on it so you dont end up like me having an Aorta replaced. Only 20% even survive the surgery. I got lucky, must be somebody left in the world I havent pissed off yet, so I got a repreive to get that done!! Course I am in a wheel chair and disabled from it too.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back