Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

best PIC to start with

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloody-orc

)Hi there.
I'n new and I'm going to start using PIC on my robots now(i have constructed many BEAM robots before) but I cant desside witch PIC is thebest one to start with. I have red that 16F84 is one of the PIC's to start with, but witch would you suggest?

(sry about the bad englsh, not so good at this yet :oops: )

huh they see to be expencive ones and very big ones also :? cant enione suggest anithing semaller and easier (no external resonator and only i\o ports and power) and it would be nice if it would have tx and rx for ICSP

u dont have to worry about the cost. u can order samples from microchip's website. it will only take about 8-10 days for the shipment.

but the PICs suggested by checkmate are really big. but the smaller the microcontroller the lesser the I/O capabilities and the lesser the functionality.

but u can check the PIC16F819 or the PIC16F628 and see if these PICs match your requirements.

the PIC16F628 is just an improved version of the PIC16F84 and it has a built in 4mhz crystal so you don't need external parts to get it running

yes i thin the first pic will be PIC16F628 because it costs less than others(in my country 64 EEK) and has all the things i need :D

but now the programmer:

**broken link removed**

i have chosed to use this without the socket and only with the ICSP pins can i use that?

and the software:
i have learned C and i have the full knolage on nqc and i know a little basic but looking to the program examples on the net :roll: I cant understand a **** they are full of somecind of a numbes and moving bank 0\1 to bank 1\2 :roll: to difficult for me... is there a easier way to program my robot(FREE version if there is) whitch is like this:

high porta 1;
low porta 1;
etc.

I used the 16F628 in my tutorials, for a number of reasons - basically, it's cheap, it's small, it has an internal oscillator, it gives 16 I/O pins in an 18 pin package.

The 16F628 is the cheaper replacement for the obselete 16x84 series.

The 18 series probably isn't a good place to start, they are far more complicated (55 instructions compared to 36) - and while you can easily port a 16 series program to an 18 series chip, it doesn't work the other way round.

I started with 16F628 and qickly realized that it is very limited: not enought I/O points, no analog inputs, so I switched to 16F870 and shortly after to 16F877.
16F877 gives you lots of room: you can have LCD, keypad, serial interface , digital and analog inputs same time.
Once you finalized your device, you may be able switch to a smaller one.

Speaking of 18F - I really like them - fast (40MHz), better RAM organization, better interrupt handling, fast stack commands.

Sometimes 16F application will not work on 18F - mainly because they use 2 bytes per command, so all your jumps $+2 now become $+4.
Also table select needs modification.
But overall 18F is way to go if you have some experience. I am using 18F452 for all my new prototype designs.

Only problem i have with the 18F is the cost of compilers, i am going to spend $250 on a C compiler for the 16F range pretty soon and will have to do it again for the 18F some months after...

Why cant someone make a free one, lol

hi again

well i have found one program how to program chips but it seems to be PICAXE only, (or not?) but this is the type i would like to have... it is the easiest version of them all(especially the LCD part of it, u write the text in there :) ) is there anithing like that for PIC's or do i have to learn the creapy wersion of the porgramming? :?

and here's the soft:

now i know that this is an assembler for the PIC also

bloody-orc said:
hi again

well i have found one program how to program chips but it seems to be PICAXE only, (or not?) but this is the type i would like to have... it is the easiest version of them all(especially the LCD part of it, u write the text in there :) ) is there anithing like that for PIC's or do i have to learn the creapy wersion of the porgramming? :?

and here's the soft:

now i know that this is an assembler for the PIC also

The PICAxe is a pre-programmed PIC, you upload short BASIC programs into it via a serial connection - you can only run VERY! small programs as it uses the EEPROM data memory for program storage (128 bytes in a 16F628), as it's a BASIC interpreter it also runs very slowly.

It's a useful 'toy' for playing with, but not very practical for the real world, it's far too restricted - it's a popular choice though for children in school, as it's simple to use and very cheap.

yes i know what the picaxe is(i have one) but the programming soft is useful for programming PICs aswell. but i need a BASIC -> assembler converter and then i could program the PIC aswell (and with flowchart's)
does anione know any program that does it?

What you need is a BASIC compiler, you can buy various ones, but most are not compatible with the PICAxe - I seem to remember that rev-ed either sell a compiler, or have plans to develop one.

i found one that they sell there, somekind of a programmer do I have to buy that?

Eh Orc,
if you are after a basic compiler to work with pic's take a look at this link **broken link removed**

you can download a demo which limits you to 2k of words but thats enough to get you going. The registered version is $149 US

Cheers Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back