Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best approach in tutoring an OP's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, there is several wrong points in all this.

Distinguish should be done in few steps:

1. OP's level of knowledge
2. What he want to make
3. What he did so far

If somebody says: "I'm a high school student just started with electronic and I want to do this - here is what I done. Is it good? Can it be better?"

What could to say to him?

1. "This is a completely garbage! Just give up from this!". Of course there is much better way than beginner just done. As a bonus, it will never ask a thing again.

2. "I'm an experience EE, this could be done much simplest using <using some parts and approaches OP probably never hear about>". Of course there is much better way.

3. "This is fine for beginning, just consider using another approach using parts you are familiar with or involve some new usually used" Etc. then OP will not get lost in experience way of solving the problem.

That is not true.

If OP is willing to learn and showing it's improving in existed circuit adding more parts he is familiar with or learned about in the meanwhile extending complexity, eventually will see that more and more problems are created and start all over. This is important part of learning process, learning exactly why that approach is not good and what actually get wrong, in which case will never make that mistake again - ever! Period.

Instead, it will carefully see what is the assignment, what is the best approach based on what he already know and learn more about parts he is not familiar with, research further to completely understand all happens behind the circuit, what can go wrong if replace or missing some part, etc.

OP which is the student from beginning ask you: "How I can do this?".
If you gave him circuit 100% solve the problem, it will return with the same question again and again, learning nothing, except that other can make his own home work.

If you are retired EE, you are full of experience someone just beginning may hardly understand why that is just the simplest approach to do. Otherwise, you will lost a lot of time explaining cascade theories of operation.

That is simply why experimenting and learning on it's own mistakes is invaluable experience.

And that is the whole point.
Sorry about the late entrance.... I've been away!

For what it's worth!! I followed that same thread from start to finish!!! Helping people is what we do... Sometimes it goes pear shaped and sometimes it goes very well..
The particular thread was excellent, The OP was obviously very happy with the positive comments and all the help he received!!!

In answer to the original post... Yes! That approached worked in this instance, and was well executed! I wish some others could be taught in a similar fashion, but time has taught us otherwise...

I liked your comments Eric....@testmpc! Your techniques are equally as valid...

Good thread Eric!!

There is not one answer to the question "What is the best tutoring approach..."

Question: How does this single stage amplifier work?
Answer: We would draw a circuit schematic diagram. We would talk about biasing the transistor, supply bypass capacitors, coupling capacitors, frequency response, etc.

Question: How does a superheterodyne radio receiver work?
Answer: We would draw a block diagram. We would describe the purpose of each stage, RF amplifier, Mixer, Local Oscillator, IF amplifier, Detector, Audio amplifier.
Initially we would not talk about transistor biasing, coupling/de-coupling caps etc.
We would go into the detailed operation of each stage once the purpose and required properties of each stage was understood.

Whether you use a "top down" or "bottom up" approach depends on the situation and requirements of the learner.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back