Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bench Magnifier (illuminated). Worth investing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My eyesight isn't getting any better, even wtih glasses have to squint when trying to read some component markings. Thinking about getting a bench magnifier. I have a little hand magnifier that has 10X magnification. Most of the bench ones I've seen seem to be around 3X. Doesn't seem a lot of magnifiacation. I intend to make my first smd board soon and maybe a bench magnifier would help when soldering etc.

Anyone else use a 3X bench type? Does it help? Thoughts appreciated please if you can spare the time.

The amount of magnification required depends on how bad your eyes are. At work we have the ones that have a circular fluorescent tube around the rim of the lamp with the lens in the middle. I find them quite good. Very similar to this one:

Attachments

• Lamp.jpg
    Lamp.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
Any kind of magnification will help, just keep in mind the higher the magnification generally speaking the closer the lens has to be to the target in order to see clearly although this can be offset by a larger lens. I bought a pair of 3X reading glasses for close up work and they work fine, but they only work within about 6-8 inches of the object. Lower magnification lenses will let you see more things clearly but obviously not as large. Even 2X is a huge benefit.

I'd recommend going to your optometrist getting your prescription refreshed and then tell the doctor you would like a second prescription for high magnification work but that included your current one in it so you could see magnified and clearly at the same time.

My wife uses a website called Zenni optical, for simple single vision lenses, you can get a pair of glasses delivered for less than 20 dollars. Bifocals aren't even that expensive, you could get a regular pair of glasses and ones with magnifiers on the lower portion for bench work.

We use those types of bench magnifiers at work for sorting small jobs that need detailed inspection, they work excellently but they are somewhat awkward. If you do get one make SURE that it's got a really good light on it.

Last edited:
I use something like these works good for fishing too!

**broken link removed**

Edit: I have 2 mounted overhead cubical lamps above the bench and when needed for power I use jewelers Glasses.

Freeing up the hands.

Last edited:
I like to use the headband magnifier type since they offer two levels of magnification and a single eye loupe as well. The lowest magnification is quite adequate for most work. The second level (flip down lense) is great for inspecting PC boards up close. The headband quickly flips up when not needed. Best part is the less distortion when compared to arm-mounted type magnifiers. I have both types and the lighted arm type as shown above has way too much edge distortion. I have a hi-quality headband magnifier that is exceptional regarding optical clarity, but it's a fixed magnification. The one I use most often is pictured here..... it works quite well.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Hi,

My eyesight isn't getting any better, even wtih glasses have to squint when trying to read some component markings. Thinking about getting a bench magnifier. I have a little hand magnifier that has 10X magnification. Most of the bench ones I've seen seem to be around 3X. Doesn't seem a lot of magnifiacation. I intend to make my first smd board soon and maybe a bench magnifier would help when soldering etc.

Anyone else use a 3X bench type? Does it help? Thoughts appreciated please if you can spare the time.

What about one of those inspection microscope things?

I have one of those like kcristie describes. Couldn't work without it. It does take some getting used to, since it can get in the way if you work too close. You'll be surprised how much better your solder joints will look and conduct after using some magnification.

I have a desk lamp like the one in kchriste's post.

I also have a couple of jeweller's loupes and a cheap X-CAM USB microscope that can be viewed fullscreen on a PC monitor.

Here's a few pics from the microscope:

LED.png SMT LED.png SOT23.png

I do this stuff for a living.

The best, and by far most expensive, is a good inspection microscope. This is what we use at work - all the techs have their own and their is one in the lab for general use by the engineers. Since these are in the range of $1k USD to $5k USD depending on features, they are not for hobbyists (unless they are very very well off hobbyists). The big advantage with them is that you can do work underneath them; they make soldering 0402 resistors quite easy. They offer a lot of magnification and also a large (50-75mm) working distance between the lense and the board, so you can solder while looking at it through the microscope.

The next best for inspection IMO is those somewhat expensive (100-300USD) USB microscopes. I haven't used one, but from the images I've seen (such as the ones above) they look very good for inspecting work afterwards. Like say you drag soldered a fine pitch QFP package, they would be great for locating pin shorts. I don't know how they are for looking at something while you are working on it. Perhaps someone could pitch in on that one.

After that come loupes, bench magnifiers, etc. They are somewhat helpful but I do not thing nearly as helpful as the USB microscopes. They are an incremental improvement of your own vision, not the leaps and bounds better provided by the USB microscope or the dedicated inspection scope.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

I use the same as Hitech on the bench & have a jewellers loupe in the work van.

If your eyesight is truly an annoying issue, let me suggest this magnification device, although it does require considerable benchtop space:

The best, and by far most expensive, is a good inspection microscope. This is what we use at work - all the techs have their own and their is one in the lab for general use by the engineers. Since these are in the range of $1k USD to $5k USD depending on features, they are not for hobbyists (unless they are very very well off hobbyists)..

How 'bout loaning me a couple K til I can see better?

Lol, I would get one for myself first :) They turn the AC off on the weekends, so it's not like I can use it for hobby work unless I want to sweat.

I'll bet an iron tip looks as big as a power pole, huh?

A scanning electron microscope (pictured above) would show the molecular makeup of just a very, very, very tiny section of an iron tip!

Humph! Man works that close bound to get flux in his eye!

I'll bet an iron tip looks as big as a power pole, huh?
Imagine an 0402 resistor filling the field of vision, if you crank the zoom up that much. You notice real quick quality PCBs from cheap PCBs, because of things like solder mask and drill alignment that otherwise don't catch your eye.

Last edited:
I use a fairly cheap magnifier, like the one in kchriste's picture. Mine was a little too cheap; eventually the potmetal base split. Base was easily replaced with a block of hardwood, though.

Hi,

I have the same problem. There is a better solution and it has 3D vision. Go down to the drug store and buy several pairs of reading glasses. They come in various diopter strengths from 1.0 to 4.0 in half diopter steps. I bought one of each. They are only about $10/pair.

As for the magnifying bench lamp, that's good too. Remove and discard the lens. Install a 240VAC fan where the lens was. The fan will to blow away resin smoke when you are soldering. I assume your electric service is 120V. At 120V the 240V fan will be slower/quieter but work just nicely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back