Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

asm Question*

Status
Not open for further replies.

km

What does this line of program mean?

Example:

tris port_b

What is mean by the instruction 'tris' :?:

Tris reg. is the direction of the ports. 1=input, 0=output.

Example:
BSF TRISB,1
Set port B pin1 to input(RB1)

BCF TRISD,5
Set port D pin5 to output(RD5)

Kent

km said:
What does this line of program mean?

Example:

tris port_b

What is mean by the instruction 'tris' :?:

'Tris' is a very old PIC instruction, on most modern PIC's they recommend not to use it, but to write to the tris register instead - however, so far they keep including it in the parts they release.

As already mentioned it sets the direction of the port pins, by writing the value in the W register to TRIS.

Although it is not recommended for use by Microchip, I use the "TRIS" instructions whenever I need to rapidly switch a port's direction. You don't need to switch banks to do this while "movwf trisb" only works on bank1 & bank3. It is handy when interfacing to an LCD module for example.

The instruction is available on all of the PIC16 family chips. However, there are no such instructions:

Code:
    TRIS PORTD
    TRIS PORTE

Thanks

Thanks everyone for replying my question :wink:

One more question about programming, what's mean by the instruction:

option

Re: Thanks

km said:
Thanks everyone for replying my question :wink:

One more question about programming, what's mean by the instruction:

option

There is an OPTION_REG register, which is explained in the datasheet for the particular processor - you might also look in the INCLUDE file, which actually references the name.

The OPTION instruction loads this register.

Try reading the MPASM helpfile, it explains all the questions you keep asking!. The appendix is particularly useful!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back