Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any online help here for LATEX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonzit

Is there any help on this site for poor confused souls wanting to learn how to use the LATEX math formatting stuff?

In fact, let me ask in general if there's any online help at all (editor formatting, etc.)? I seem to remember coming across a page or three of help, but I can't find anything now.

If there isn't any, it would be really really nice to have some, if someone can put that on their to-do list ...

This any good for ya? How about this? What specifically are you having trouble with? Anything within the tags latex /latex will be interpreted as latex code. Tags in BBCode are square brackets, such as.
Code:
[tag]Interpret me[/tag]
The bellow equation I tossed up from a random Internet example using the following code within the latex tags.

Code:
\frac{{\displaystyle\sum\nolimits_{n> 0} z^n}}
{{\displaystyle\prod\nolimits_{1\leq k\leq n} (1-q^k)}}
[latex]\frac{{\displaystyle\sum\nolimits_{n> 0} z^n}}
{{\displaystyle\prod\nolimits_{1\leq k\leq n} (1-q^k)}}[/latex]

Last edited:
Look, I know how LATEX works. I've seen the tags.

I just think it would be nice to see a reference somewhere for the exact syntax, and a list of available functions. I don't know the language. I suppose I could muddle along and pick up bits and pieces from looking at other folks' examples. Do you really think that's the proper way to learn anything? I don't.

Look, let's say you wanted to learn a new microprocessor programming language. What are you going to do: search the web for code snippets that you hope are similar enough to what you want to do, look them over and try to adapt them to your application? or would you instead rather get a reference manual, so you can learn how the language works, what its syntax is, what operators are available, etc., etc.?

I don't want an exhaustive LATEX reference. I just want a simple guide to its syntax and a list of what all stuff you can do with it. Is that asking too much?

carbonzit, are you serious, or did you not follow the links I posted? FULLY DESCRIBED syntax, in BOTH links.

carbonzit, are you serious, or did you not follow the links I posted? FULLY DESCRIBED syntax, in BOTH links.

Links? What links?

Oh, those links. Thanks. I'm downloading them now.

(That's why I put my links in bold, so folks can see them. I'm just sayin' ...)

Last edited:
Sorry! I'll bold them in the future, the simple blue they typically use is a bit too subtle. Bold does make a heck of a difference. I edited my original post for bold, and think I got a black eye trying to read it ;)

Last edited:
Just for any subsequent posters. If you want to post uninterpreted latex then there are noparse tags.

So you can, by enclosing them in noparse tags, show examples such as,

to get

Edit, if you click "Reply With Quote" then you can see how the tags are used.

Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for any subsequent posters. If you want to post uninterpreted latex then there are noparse tags.

Yes. That's another thing that would be nice if it was documented.

This board has a lot of capabilities that people have no idea how to use.

Document, document, document!

Hey. I'll show you a secret. You can use the program Miktex (free) https://miktex.org/ and WYSIWYG and past the generated code and add the LATEX tags. Remember to check with Preview. The tags don't support general typesetting. Works for me.

Last edited:
Another tip, double click on the latex and it will show you the source.

Kewl! That works.

Suggestion: change the "tool tip" when you cursor over a LATEX image to read "Double-click to see code". Currently it just says "click", which of course does nothing. (Consistency in terminology is the key to clearly relaying information.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back